Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anything happening on or after Feb 20th?

• 31-01-2004 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

The present broadband packages on offer from Eircom, IOL and UTV seem to all be valid till February 20th. Has anybody any ideas on the significance of this date, if any?
    I am very keen to get broadband but I don't think my usage would justify the extra expense of it. I am hoping the price will come down soonish.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by JimiMac
    The present broadband packages on offer from Eircom, IOL and UTV seem to all be valid till February 20th. Has anybody any ideas on the significance of this date, if any?
    I am very keen to get broadband but I don't think my usage would justify the extra expense of it. I am hoping the price will come down soonish.
    oreillycom have announced that they've applied to the regulator for permission to introduce a new "lower priced broadband product" in March. They have already indicated that the price will be €40. But there is some speculation that this "lower priced product" will actually be a new offering with lower specs that the current offering, rather than just a lower price for the current offering.

Whatever happens in March, it's probably cheaper to sign up now, and get the first month free, free installation and a free modem. For instance, the first year with UTV if you sign up now will cost €495 (11*€45), whereas the first 12 months with the new oreillycom offering will cost €480 plus installation plus modem. (You might get free installation or a "free" modem, but you probably won't get both).

By the summer, we might see wireless broadband offerings in the €30-€40 range in Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Waterford and Galway, but expect startup costs to be in the €100-€150 range for these offerings.

Based on the currently available information, I don't think you're going to do much better than the current "free modem, free install" special offers, when you look at the cost of the 12 month minimum contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Netsources 2month rolling contract be a good idea as if things change you can move. I've gonna order it in 4hours :) My line is back passing. Ask the right people and it can be done. I'm just hoping it'll stay passing up till it gets installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Ryaner
    Netsources 2month rolling contract be a good idea as if things change you can move. I've gonna order it in 4hours :) My line is back passing. Ask the right people and it can be done. I'm just hoping it'll stay passing up till it gets installed.
    What are the "up front" costs of signing up with NetSource? Do you get the first month free, free installation, and a free modem? If you have to pay the equivalent of 5 or 6 months just to get set up, then a 2 month rolling contract isn't going to be doing you much good, is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

No free install or modem. It doesnt bother me as I wouldnt be using the modem's that are supplied anyway. Netsource does have a 150 cancellation fee though which I've just found out about which really suck but still. I've just sent of my stuff so hopefully have it soon. Would have liked esat's business 512 offer but alas no exchange anywhere near here.

Advertisement