Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website content copyright

Options
  • 31-01-2004 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭

There was a recent thread here about website design copyright, which was interesting and thought provoking.

However, what about the case of content?
    Surely that is much more clearly defined? If you copy another sites content word for word without either crediting them or even asking permission would that not be outright copyright theft?
    Surely it is a clearcut case?

But how would you deal with such an obviously base infringement?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 tinyjim

Seems to me that it would be blatant theft.

How would you prove it though? How could you show that one website was up before the other?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

possibly using something like archive.org (obviously not in many cases though)

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Fergal C

Personally I'd send them a letter requesting that they remove the content. If that didn't work I'd visit my solicitor and ask them to send a letter.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

@ Henri - solicitors are generally pretty useless but would definitley be when it comes to dealing with an overseas thief (especially a non-EU thief)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭eoin@host.ie

I suppose it would depend on the person/company doing the rip. Many companies wouldn't bother chasing a student/voluntary website. A commercial site ripping off content, now that is a different matter.

These days, given the legal backdrop and how damaging proven plagurism is to the image of a company, I would be very surprised to find an Irish company with any kind of profile that would indulge in half arsed tactics like copying large tracts of content from a competitor. They know they would be caught out very quickly.

Eoin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Couldnt agree more, as I said on another forum Michele, simply report it to the party you think has been offended and let them resolve to their satisfaction :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭eoin@host.ie

Another idea might be to set up an Irish version of www.pirated-sites.com given that usually plagurism takes place of US sites and US companies know that there is little they can do legally to have offending material removed beyond sending a couple of sabre rattling emails.

However an imminent European directive affecting intellectual property may change this.

Advertisement