Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clicksilver Down for anyone else ???

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

some form of caching problem on the eircom side. Sounds a bit strange to me.

there is something strange going on ok. Over the past few weeks a few people had difficulty getting on to www.apple.com then someone suggested setting up a proxy.

I had to mess around a bit with the proxy thing both last night and sunday night to get back to 'normal'.

As a non teccy person I dont understand this cache and proxy thing at all maybe some kind person who understands the thing could post a bit and help us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭ozmo

Originally posted by rash
    I'm backup now. UTV had ...problem on the eircom side. Sounds a bit strange to me.

It they told you that - Thats sounds just like a cop out.

I tried for 3 months to connect to UTV-and in the end it was Esats faulty installation at the exchange that prevented my account working.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by rash
    If I had known that the UTV DSL in the ROI was outsourced to Nevada Tele I would never would have gone with them.

What are you talking about? Nevada (or rather, Energis, nevada doesn't exist anymore) don't provide UTV with DSL.....nevada provide a datastream, access to backbones etc.

Etho as you understand these things could you explain to us how UTV does get its broadband signal to us? How many 'others' are in between the customer and UTV and how does it compare to say having a contract with Eircom?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

Originally posted by eth0_
    What are you talking about? Nevada (or rather, Energis, nevada doesn't exist anymore) don't provide UTV with DSL.....nevada provide a datastream, access to backbones etc.

Etho,
    I don't really care what the 3rd party is called, my point is that the Clicksilver service is outsourced to a 3rd Party in addition to Eircom.
    Unless you're on the exchanges that Esat have their own DSLAMs in, you're stuck with Eircom as the provider of the DSL connection. DSL technology specifically refers to the physical layer between your modem and the DSLAM in the exchange. However a DSL product contains additional technologies to enable customers access the internet, such as the level 2 network transport, ie ATM. Normally the ATM VC from your router terminates on a Core router on the remote end of the Eircom handover, (DSL product provider end, in our case UTV). This hand over from Eircom is normally a 45MB or 155MB line, but there is also a more basic handover which Eircom refer to as an IP interface, with a line speed of 2MB.
    The point I was making is that the equipment at the end of the eircom handover, is located and possibly managed and supported by Energis, rather than directly by UTV. It is then over the Energis network that access is provided to the UTV datacenter in Belfast and the internet in general. So when problems arise it can prove difficult to resolve.

I suspect that UTV offer their DSL product over the 2MB IP handoff from Eircom. Your ATM VC will terminate on an Eircom router, and they will manage the PPPoE termination and CHAP authentication (This ties in with UTV blaming Eircom??), and then feed the IP to Energis.

This is my take on it, which could be incorrect, so please correct if it's total $hite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

eth0

can you please comment, your lack of response is freaking me out!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

Clicksilver returned for me last week and has been working until this Friday (6.2.04), since then I have been unable to connect what so ever.

Same for everybody else??

Last week when it was down I emailed UTV support and they responded that (paraphrasing here!) there was a problem with a third party and that other adsl providers were affected too...

Anybody with any information on when service is likely to return?

Originally posted by davmigil
    Clicksilver returned for me last week and has been working until this Friday (6.2.04), since then I have been unable to connect what so ever.

Same for everybody else??

No - it has been back for everyone I think there breaks on Thursday and on Friday and last night (Saturday) for about twenty minutes all have been reported in the newsgroup. I know thats not very satisfactory but you should have been able to connect at some stages since the general outage.
    Last week when it was down I emailed UTV support and they responded that (paraphrasing here!) there was a problem with a third party and that other adsl providers were affected too...

That is only partly true in that UTV stated that they had problems last weekend on two occassions Saturday night and Sunday but there also seems to have been problems with ESAT the following is a quote from UTV on the newsgroup:

''What I was referring to was that as well as the piece of hardware that failed Esat also had some problems at their POP in citywest (boards.ie IOL customers were complaining of similar probs). We are working wiith Esat to find out exactly what was wrong and why it affected our ROI DSL service so badly.''

If you are still unable to connect you should be getting on to UTV and looking for support. Have a look at Rash's earelier posts in this thread which say that he had to be set up all over again after the break in service so maybe thats the sort of thiing you should be exploring with them.

Thanks for the info dub45.

I have been on to UTV support. They were very nice and helpful, but haven't been able to sort me out. Their superviser is to ring me next week.

They reckon it could be a problem downstream (/me guessing : DSLAM ) and that a number of customers are having similar issues. Anybody else in this situation?

I normally connect through an adsl router (Netgear 834G), it shows the adsl modem as connected 512/128 as expected. On connection it gets as far as 'LCP allowed to come' and then stalls.

I dug out the usb Zyxel modem and it gives a green light for modem connected, but on trying to connect I get a 734 error ('The PPP link control protocol was terminated'), which might indicate 'LCP extensions not supported'.

Have treble checked settings too.

In the dark here (well that's what 56k feels like!).

Sorry to hear of your problems dav and that other people were/are still disconnected.

I hope you made clear to them at least you expected them not to bill you for this period of non service?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

It's been absolutely ****e today.

I'm sick of this now. As soon as my contract is up in July I'm going to someone else. :mad:

There were definite problems about 11 am this morning I was onto support and they told me that they had begun getting calls about not being able to access the web and the invalid sign on stuff but it seemed to come back around 11.30 and it has been ok this evening but cant comment on what it was like during today.

Takes about 20 minutes now to post a message here or indeed anywhere. Everything times out.

Can't get on the newsgroup about it because I can't log into my email account. Someone on there recommended "DrTCP" - it does nothing.

Marvellous....Sick of these excuses now...roll on July :mad:

The attached pic is the message I always get when trying to post something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

same here
    for some reason you need to go through a proxy for posting etc to work
    195.218.116.8 port: 3128
    works now for me however I'm extremely annoyed by this. For how long do we have troubles on and off with utv? I have the feeling that their network support are not up to the task and need to be fired and better people hired instead :rolleyes:
    Interesting that no other provider has such ridiculous problems.

That seems to help a bit. Thanks silent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Thanks very much for the settings, silent. Did they come from UTV? Have they given any explanation?

This problem definately is weird. I noticed it first on Tuesday, when I couldn't post anything longer than about 900 characters to my website.

It seems to affect hotmail.com, too. I can only check my mail with those new settings.

As a follow up, utv support did sort me out in the end. They gave me a new user name and password and that did the trick. Some sort of password caching problem by servers along the way... Very odd.

Also thanks to silent for that ip, seems to have sorted out my connected problems :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by silent
    same here
    for some reason you need to go through a proxy for posting etc to work
    195.218.116.8 port: 3128 .

Port 3128 is used as a Backdoor port by the MyDoom worm, and consequently by other later trojans, anti trojans and the rest . That cache has been battered by all sorts of crap .

M

the instruction to use that proxy came from utv - it's been posted in the support group

btw muck the tcp port 3128 is squids default port so I guess they (utv) setup a second proxy and for whatever reason/setting the issues we are seeing are not coming up when going through this proxy

what's the official utv http proxy btw? if you use that do you still have the same issues with posting, uploading etc

mydoom's backdoor port is udp 3127 :)

btw, is anyone with a good firewall on their pc/routers seeing some weird activity going on? I have ****tloads of connection attempts to port tcp 2175 (kazzaa maybe? never run it on my pc though nor any other filesharing $h1t)
    here's a small part what my router picks up for two days now (and I changed IP twice in that period)

Thursday, February 12, 2004 6:14:24 PM Unrecognized access from 195.174.137.80:4247 to TCP port 2175
    Thursday, February 12, 2004 6:14:25 PM Unrecognized access from 217.42.165.179:3970 to TCP port 2175
    Thursday, February 12, 2004 6:14:28 PM Unrecognized access from 24.26.166.74:3562 to TCP port 2175
    Thursday, February 12, 2004 6:14:28 PM Unrecognized access from 81.98.173.220:3691 to TCP port 2175
    Thursday, February 12, 2004 6:14:29 PM Unrecognized access from 217.42.165.179:3970 to TCP port 2175
    Thursday, February 12, 2004 6:14:30 PM Unrecognized access from 195.174.137.80:4247 to TCP port 2175
    Thursday, February 12, 2004 6:14:31 PM Unrecognized access from 24.26.166.74:3562 to TCP port 2175

I have asked this before but no one has yet obliged so apologies for repeating myself. Can anyone explain what a proxy does?

You would also think that if UTV are recommending the use of a proxy to solve certain issues they could email all their users to that effect? It would surely save both the users and and UTV's support line lots of bother.

• Advertisement

very basic description: http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/P/proxy_server.html
    or http://www.allsands.com/Science/whatisaproxy_akx_gn.htm

however i do not understand why the proxy helps in this weird case.
    but i refuse to accept this solution for the long term. it worked without the proxy, if should work without. I simply do not want to use any proxy software from an ISP for many reasons.

don't take it the wrong way I really like utv and still thing it's best run isp in the country. however it has major support flaws. If something like this happens - let the users know by an announcement on the phones and website. Afterwards when it's fixed and has been a major issue let all users publicly know what happened and how. This builds customer respect. Faults/Errors happen with the best equipment and provider and everyone understands that. However being kept in the dark like in previous incidents with utv makes you kinda reevaluate your position if utv is still the best :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭ozmo

Someone mentioned DrTCP. This did work for one PC that had a similar problem - only able to access short pages - no long ones.

From the DOS prompt type:
    c:> ping -f -l 1500 www.boards.ie

then reduce the 1500 to find the HIGHEST value that will let you ping. Then enter that value as the MTU for the network card/modem you use in DrTCP.
    (You dont need to reboot - just Disable, then Reenable the Network card for changes to atake effect - or reboot)

A Value of around 1450 I think worked for Netsource.
    1442 seems the best for Eircom. Dont know what UTV one is. but it depends
    also on your modem setup at home.

You get this error for values is too high

Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.131.128] with 1425 bytes of data:
    Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set.

Worth a try.

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

It works because there's an insane router somewhere between you and some of the sites you are trying to get to, so your packets are going to hell and back if you try to go direct. But the route between you and the proxy server is clear, and the route between the proxy server and your destination is also clear, so going through the proxy server works.

If you do a tracert to the host that's giving you problems, it might demonstrate where the problem is.

The recommend MTU for utv is 1492.

very basic description: http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/P/proxy_server.html
    or http://www.allsands.com/Science/whatisaproxy_akx_gn.htm

but i refuse to accept this solution for the long term. it worked without the proxy, if should work without. I simply do not want to use any proxy software from an ISP for many reasons.
    [/QUOTE

Thanks for that - does this mean though that you never know if you are reading the most up to date version of the page you are looking for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Do people consider this an acceptable solution to accessing Hotmail??. I had to use the proxy thing for access to Hotmail and UTV Newsgroups, but I'm not happy about it, why should I be applying workarounds, when everything was working fine a few days ago???

Or am I just getting excited over nothing, is this common practice?. I'm worried about the MyDoom comments above, should I be???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,883 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I haven't noticed any browsing/posting issues myself lately when I DO get connected (between having to keep entering my password several times before I get logged on and/or not being able able to connect at all).. but I agree with the posters that more communication from UTV would help given all these recent problems... maybe even a free month's rental by way of apology/compensation?

As an aside, can anyone recommend a good, easy-to-configure, firewall/NAT solution as any I've tried so far do not like games much it seems.... thanks :)

Originally posted by Kaiser2000
    maybe even a free month's rental by way of apology/compensation?

Now that is being very optimistic! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Originally posted by Kaiser2000
    (between having to keep entering my password several times before I get logged on and/or not being able able to connect at all)..

I had this all along . then after the trouble 2 weekends ago I reset my modem ( ie: turn off your pc disconnect your modem , turn back on the pc and then reconnect the modem ) and it hasn't happened since .

John.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

As seen from the above post by me , I didn't change any poxy proxy and this is the first post I have been able to make to boards , so I rekon it must be fixed for now .
    Although 6pm to 12 seems to be the worst times .

John.

Yikes!!
    You won't believe this but this msg actually hung and I had to go in and change the poxy proxy settings to post it ,

Advertisement