Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats Being Bullied!!

Options
  • 01-02-2004 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

We have two young male cats, one about 14 months old, the other about 9 months old and they are scared of another cat in the area!!!

When they are left outside, a bigger older cat scares them up onto the roof of the porch and eats their food, they stay up there, occassionly all night, until you take them down again.We had an older male cat(about2) and he was absouletly terrified of this visiting cat but unfortunately he was killed on the road some time back.

We have taken to keeping them inside a lot of the time now, but how could we stop this "bully" from coming around, we were thinking of getting a mature male cat, but the last one was afraid too so I'm not sure

I remember when we had male cats years ago they were very territorial and would not have tolerated a visiting tom at all. This may seem funny but between the three of them I have never seen such wimps of cats!!

They are not neutered, just lazy and not interested in defending their territory

Any ideas..............

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

First of all, get your cats neutered - Do it today. It is highly irresponsible to let any unneutered cat out of doors. Secondly, stop feeding your cats out of doors. The bully is coming for the food - so find some space where you can feed the cats inside, away from the bully.

In relation to the bully, try a good water pistol with either a vinegar or lemon juice solution and give him a spray when he enters your garden. It won't do him any harm but cats generally hate the acid of vinegar or citrus - a couple of blast of this and he will find someone else to bully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

so would u if it got in ur eyes!
    DO NOT use vinegar or lemon damage, if it gets in his eyes u could bind him for life, a cat cant run its head under running water for gods sake. :rolleyes:

Water is just as effective. However, first try feeding them inside only.
    get them neutered.
    if u get one of those supersoaker water guns from argos he wont stick around long, or indeed a garden hose ;0)

B

Originally posted by Dawntreader
    so would u if it got in ur eyes!
    DO NOT use vinegar or lemon damage, if it gets in his eyes u could bind him for life, a cat cant run its head under running water for gods sake. :rolleyes:

Oh now let's not get too melodramatic. Yes, I probably should have suggested using just water initially. And I probably should have suggested a weak solution of vinegar or lemon.

But enough already with the 'bind him for life' stuff. Do you really think that a reputable vet like Dr Kim Kendall [BVSc MACVSc (Feline Medicine) graduated from the University of Sydney in 1982 and established the East Chatswood Cat Clinic in 1994, a dedicated cat-only Veterinary Clinic] would be recommending this exact same approach on her website if there was any risk of harming the cat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

neuter your cats, then teach them how to fight:D .
    Cat of mine (neutered) was in the same position, only thing you can do is feed them inside or capture the bully and bring it to a shelter if it is a stray. Or teach it a lesson:D

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

thanks for all the replies folks...........looks like a trip to the vets and a good water pistol for me then.......

The cat is from up the road and is well fed and looked after in his own home...he must be one greedy fellow:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Find out where the owner of this cat lives. Then go up to the house next Sunday and barge into the house. Beat his children around the head, give him the finger, then sit down at the sunday dinner table and dig in.

SEE HOW THEY LIKE IT!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Originally posted by RainyDay
    First of all, get your cats neutered - Do it today. It is highly irresponsible to let any <snip> cat out of doors. Secondly, stop feeding your cats out of doors. <SNIP>

I'm sick of cats staring at our piggies (cavies) and eating the wild birds.

rainy, if i wanted to, i could show u sites where people with doctorates endorse killing kitties, such is the nature of the net. My point is simple, why use a plumber when a simple plunger will do the job. And fyi, a cats eyes are highly sensitive, and citric acid can blind them, and if it gets in their eyes will cause some damage and a lot of pain, try it in ur own, if u dont believe me.
    Vinegar etc is somthing u would use to put on somthing u do not want a cat to touch, like where u dont want it to use as a scratching post. thats it.

b

I do agree that it would be better to try it out with plain water first, which may suffice. But if it doesn't, then other measures are called for.

But in the absence of any sources to back up your position, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Sit the cats down and talk to them. You may find that bigger cat has self-esteem issues of its own.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Only use water on this cat, if you can't manage to boot him up the arse. Tomcats respect strength and ferocity - show some, and he'll get the message.

However, putting food outside is just baiting him - that's unfair.

Advertisement