Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xp - It is now safe to turn off your computer.

• 01-02-2004 1:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

I installed XP there now. Now, everytime when shutting down, i go to shut down as normal, but it doesnt shut down fully. It prompts me "It is now safe to turn off ur computer". And i have to switch it off at the plug, as the on/off switch wont switch it off.

Is this a setting in the bios or how so i get rid of this prompt.

Thanks, in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Yeah ... Power Managment ... turn on ACPI (or APM on older machines)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Is your system relatively new, or an older model ?
    Have you it set up as ACPI ?
    Do you run Easy Cd creator ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Maxthedog02

Its an old model, that im slowly beginning to hate!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Did you just install XP on it now?, did the last OS you had in the machine turn it off automagically?. Your hardware may not support auto shutdown if it's very old.....can't see hardware that old running XP though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

ACPI may just be disabled in your bios. Also, instead of plugging the machine out to turn it off, try holding down the power button for about 5 seconds.

• Advertisement

I just turned on the Apm option in power management as suggested. And that done the trick.
    Thanks all!!

Another niggling problem, is when i start up, sometime the Usb mouse will/wont work. I installed the s/w that came with it, but it still happens. Every 2nd time i start, it fails. But a serial mouse is fine. Is there a certain stage of the boot-up process, where i should unplug/replug the Usb mouse to get it install properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Originally posted by Maxthedog02

Another niggling problem, is when i start up, sometime the Usb mouse will/wont work. I installed the s/w that came with it, but it still happens. Every 2nd time i start, it fails. But a serial mouse is fine. Is there a certain stage of the boot-up process, where i should unplug/replug the Usb mouse to get it install properly.

I've a similar problem on a 2k machine. 2 (newish) PS2 mice had died on it within a week so I went USB, but like you (although not every 2nd time) every now and again it doesn't register the mouse.

Never actually found a way to fix the problem except for plugging the mouse out and back in - whereby it then gets detected. This was a real pain because the machine is under a desk, so I bought a USB extension cable which is in easy reach.

D.

my zip drive wont work either.
    its all de usb stuff, but usb controlers are workin properly acc to device manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

had a kind of similar prob with a 750 zip drive a while back. it might be a case that its trying to boot from the usb device (with the zip drive anyway) try disbling usb boot in the bios, or set search for other boot devices to no.

Advertisement