Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't browse web or ping in WinXP

Options
  • 01-02-2004 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Using eircom net 25 package. I also tried the free service but no difference.

I can dial up but I connect at very low speed (26.4Kbps). This used to be 45 or more. It's a resonabley new dell machine. I can't browse the web even using an IP address.
    Also when I click on a username to go into a profile after turning the machine on, the machine pauses for about 30 seconds on "Loading your personal settings" for each user.... why would this be?
    It's not my machine so I dunno what has happened.

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Firstly try defrag the machine. It should help with the loading of settings. There few other things that can be done but that the main one.

In regard browsing, first thing. Make sure there is no firewalls or av running and try again. Silly I know but sometimes clicking disable don't do it.

If you can try a ping test.
    Start -> Run -> type "cmd" -> in the box type ping www.bbc.co.uk
    then ping 212.58.224.121

Post results of those and I'll tell you where the problem is.

Also try clearing the cache,history, cookies etc in ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Patrick

Sorry the last post here was wrong.

I can ping IP addresses. I updated the virus scanner after downloading the updates on another machine.
    It found two trojan horses! So they're gone now.
    However it still gets a low connection speed after dialing up and can't resolve hostnames.

Any help appreciated

Ok the trojans have effected the DUN. (your connection) First thing to try is delete the old connection and everything related to it (software, desktop icons etc) then to recreate it. That could fix the hostname problem as the trojans could have corrupted the DNS settings in the DUN. Deleting is the only way to fix it.
    If host name still arent resolving after that then that means the winsock file needs to be replaced. Xp normally works with an on-the-fly approach to this. Firstly try the other method ok, if it doesnt work then backup whatever and try this. Search for the file winsock.dll after a reboot. When found delete the file and restart. When the machine has restarted leave it for a minute or so to finish what it's at and then restart again. Try now and it should have fixed it.
    If that didnt work then communications needs to be reinstalled on the system. Go to control panel -> add/remove program -> add/remove windows components
    Remove the tick from "networking services", press next and so on till it has done that. Do not reboot the machine.
    Go through this step a second time if networking services hasnt become unticked. If it has or it's the third time in windows setup then put the tick back. Let it install it and then restart the machine. Try now. If it doesnt work then post the results off a ping on a url and ip.
    In regard the low speed. Provided nothin else has changed then try reinstalling the modem. Some trojans have dialers and can change modem settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

You may simply need to reset your TCP/IP. Do a search on google for this (reset tcp/ip XP)

If you can ping IP addresses it is a DNS issue.

Also, check your DNS settings (in TCP/IP in DUN)...

Using trojans install a dns overlay into tcp/ip which can corrupt the whole setup. Pinging website and not urls you need to do the winsock fix. Trust me I do it all the time. I'm a isp tech support agent. Netsh sometimes works but mostly is just a waste of time

• Advertisement

could not find winsock.dll

network services was unticked in add/remove programs.
    Ticked it and let it install. Rebooted and after going into a profile the pc was busy (task manager said CPU 100%). The taskbar was kind of white. Task manager reported svchost.exe as the culprit. I waited 5 minutes but no change so i killed svchost.exe. There were three instances running and i had to kill two of them to get the cpu back down to 0%.

Any time i rebooted that happened so I unticked network services again and now the cpu is normal when i go in.

I also tried the command "net sh int ip reset c:\tcp.txt" but it said "Could not obtain host info from machine: [machine's hostname]. Some commands may not be available. Class not registered."

I then did an XP repair and I'll post back if the problem is fixed.

ok after the repair the system is better except the "netsh int ip reset c:\tcpip.txt" worked but when I dialed up i still got a low connection speed and couldn't ping hostnames.

in Add/remove programs compents network services was unticked so i ticked that and noticed that straight after it installed the cpu usage went up to 100% and I had to kill svchost to stop it.

It looks likes the only solution here is to format the drive. It's running defrag now just to see if it speeds the "loading personal settings.." (mentioned in my first post on this thread).

Thanks to Ryaner and Johnny for replying!

Unless you've any other suggestions I'll go ahead and format.

Regards,
    Patrick.

networking services is needed to browse the net so having that unticked is a mojor problem. Svhost is also a part of windows which needs to run. Havin it at 100% is problem. My laptop when like that after installing some video codecs and ended up reinstalling the lot as I couldnt find an easy fix.
    Good luck with formatting I guess. Sorry couldnt help more

alright fair enough.

thanks again

Advertisement