Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP and password expiry??

Options
  • 01-02-2004 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭

Stating up normally until the screen where you click which user, then it says "Your password will expire in 14 days. Do you want to change it now?"

Clicking Yes or No for either user cause the computer to restart.:mad:

This started yesterday and the 14 days hasn't changed to 13 today.

A virus... or is XP just being contrary?

If so... a simple reinstall of XP might fix it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Is this computer a home PC?
    Also, is it running Windows XP Professional or Home Edition?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't forget the day starts from the TIME the password was last changed not at midnight.

If logging in to an Windows Domain (ie a server) then the password age is set on the Domain Controller etc.

In NT you would use User manager in Admin tools to change the password age. As to where it is in XP HOME - cba remembering as it will be changed in the next version again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Home pc running XP Pro which was installed over Win98.
    There were 2 users who's profiles are still there.

Interesting thing is... that on about the 8th restart, the problem disappeared and it started up normally. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭ando

Unusual for the Pc to restart after changing password??

how and ever, Goto your administrative tools, Computer Management, Local Users and Groups. Right click on your username and click properties. Click 'Password never expires'. Click Ok

It won't let me do that.

When I click a user name, the "Password Expires in 13 days" message appears and it reverts to the previous screen where I have to choose between the 2 users.

I get the same Password message for both users! :mad:

Any other way to get in there and change that setting?

By the way, I never got to change the password at all....

• Advertisement

It's back to restarting over and over when I click on either user and then Yes to Change Password.....

Fixed it.
    After many attempts I got it started. I removed the 2nd user (no longer needed) and it then allowed me to set a (new) password for the main user, possibly because I removed the 2nd user?

I still don't have the "password never expires" option though... :confused:

Advertisement