Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Monitor Prob

• 01-02-2004 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

When I start my PC the monitor will not switch on automatically. I can see a faint image on the monitor but it takes a series of pressing the On/Off button on the monitor, for it to eventually light up fully. Is it the monitors power managment??
    It's a Relisys 15" TFT hooked up to ATI Radeon All in Wonder 7500 card. OS is Xp
    I've tinkered with this annoyance with ages and would be glad of any suggestions!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Sounds like a problem with the monitor TBH....

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭GarGuile

I think you're right. I wonder does anyone know if the power saving" function of the monitor(Relisys) can be switched off completely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭str8_away

If you leave the monitor alone would it light up fully by itself?
    I am thinking the backlights has brocken ot the power suppply to backlights are brocken.

AFAIK
    Backlights are cold cathode ray tubes.

Sometimes it lights up on it's own but most of the time you have to flick the on/off switch, on the monitor, a few times before it lights up properly. I really think it's this powersaving function that's screwing with it coming on. It's like the monitor doesn't recognise that it's receiving a signal, so it won't power up!

Don't know any power saving function would create what you aredescribing here.
    But if it is the problem wiht backlight you should able to see some very dim picture.
    Can you see anything on the screen when it is not lighting up?

• Advertisement

Yeah, You can see a very faint image! Backlighting prob, I'm not sure what that is?

YES! I like it when I am right :D

I am sorry but I have no idea how to fix it.
    You might have to relace the light tube.
    (I have never done it but would like a go tho.
    if you decide that you cannot stand the monitor anymore please let me know.
    I like to take things apart.:o )

Have a look of this faq it should help you understand what backlight is, or backlit for American spelling
    http://www.xenarc.com/faq.html
    Q: Why is my LCD monitor not as bright as when I initially purchased it?

A: TFT LCD monitors use CCFL (Cold Cathodes Fluorescent Lamp) as backlight. The CCFL backlight will become less bright after extensive use due to its limited life time like a normal florescent lamp. Please note however that under normal usage that your LCD monitor should provide you with many years of satisfactory performance.

Q: Why is my monitor not very bright when I first powered it on but then it gets brighter after I left it on for several minutes?

A: CCFL backlight requies time to reach its full brightness. Usually full brightness is achieved after 30 minutes of use.

Q: What happens when my CCFL backlight no longer works?

A: Don't worry, we have you covered. If the monitor is still under warranty (12 months for most products and 18 months for our newest models), we will replace the backlight for you free of charge. If the monitor is out of warranty, we will replace it for a reasonable parts and service fee.

Q: How do you replace the CCFL backlight? Can I replace it myself?

A: We replace the CCFL backlight inside a clean room with the correct CCFL backlight optimized for your LCD module. We don't suggest you to replace the backlight yourself since it is a complicated process and requires a clean room to prevent dust from getting into your LCD module.

Well str8_away
    I'll keep you in mind, if I do decided to chuck it.
    Thanks for you help!

Advertisement