Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Amp Problem

Options
  • 01-02-2004 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

Have fitted an amp in a mates car, its a Tornado AMPIC14 i think. Just picked it up cheap. The problem is it doesnt seem to be getting power. There is 3 connecters on the amp, + - and REM. I'm told that the REM should be connected to the back of the radio and it will act as a switch for the amp. Just wondering what do i connect it to on the radio???

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Did it not come with a manual.... or when you say on the cheap, was it nicked?

John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

was second hand so no manual

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah that wire has to be connected to the REM wire at back of stereo AFAIR.

This may get better responses if moved to the Motors forum

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

AFAIK it depends on the radio. If it's designed for use with an external amp it should have the right connector on it. If not, REM needs to be either shorted to the 12V or Ground (depending on the amp) for the amplifier to turn on. If you figure out which one it is, you can just put an amp switch on the dashboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

If the stereo does not come on until the key is turned then it would be safe to connect the REM(ote) lead straight to the +12V on the radio, assuming of course the remote requires a + signal to switch. Is it a custom stereo job or an after market part ? What make is it ? Any stereo I've seen with a remote out usually uses a white wire, is there one on yours ?

Tinky

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Just one thing to watch out for there:

A lot of stereos have a permanent +12V and a switched +12V line. This is so that they can retain the stations for the radio. Just make sure the amp goes to the switched supply - otherwise your battery will be kaput in no time

Advertisement