Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal-v-Man City

• 01-02-2004 3:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭

Hopefully City can take points off Arsenal but I doubt they will,but you never know

Might see Reyes playing for the first time today

2-0 to Arsenal for me

Your predictions????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

5-0 For Arsenal.

3 for Henry, 1 for Pires and 1 for Bergkamp. But hopefully I'm wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

gwan the city 2-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

2 all draw I reckon, Kick-Off in 1 min, away to watch it !!

Tinky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

i reckon it will be 3-1 with that reyes guy gettin a goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

i think we've got a bit to talk about : goal of the season contender and a brawl, what more could u ask for ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

I thought Man City were robbed. Definite free before Henry's goal - good goal but hardly goal of the season.

Man City were by far the better team in the second half I thought. Deserved more. Anelka didn't deserve to be sent off either I didn't think. He only kinda pushed Cole's head back but Cole hit him in the face with the back of his hand so I think it was unfair for one to stay and one to go. Cole shouldn't have been allowed to hog the ball anyway.

Arsenal very lucky and poor refereeing gifted them victory in this one I feel.

Also on Reyes I didn't think he was anything special judging by first impressions. Should've scored. Granted James made a great save but for that money you expect him to score them. I know hes only young but he'll have to get used to being put in the same category as Van Nistelrooy and Henry with his price tag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

What a goal by Henry,James had no chance at all

Now the fight at the end was just stupid,there was no need for it

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Final score
    2-1 to Arsenal

Not a great performance by Arsenal, but its 3 points against tricky opposition. It was an absolute mudbath, awful conditions for playing in. Man City fairly predictably played 4-5-1 and tried to frustrate Arsenal, which worked fairly well with the exception of the Tarnat OG and a few openings late in the 2nd half. The Parlour/Gilberto partnership in centre midfield had way too much industry and not enough creativity. Edu should have played from the start imo. Cole and Lauren were pretty dodgy today, Lauren's passing was poor all day and they were caught out of position a few times. Campbell and Toure were excellent though, i'd love it if Wenger kept them together and brought in Trabelsi at right back.

As for Reyes, he looks the real deal. Was only on for 20 mins, but looked very dangerous every time he was on the ball, hassled the defenders/keeper well, looked very pacey and was unlucky not to score on his debut. He also looks pretty hard, he wasn't afraid to square off with the much larger Tarnat and by the looks of it he won't be long at all adapting to the prem. Most fouled player in Spain? not surprising from what i saw today.

Lehmann: 7
    Cole: 6
    Campbell: 8
    Toure: 8
    Lauren: 5
    Pires: 8
    Gilberto: 6
    Parlour: 6
    Ljungberg: 7
    Henry: 7
    Bergkamp: 6

Oh, and i await the "BATTLE OF HIGHBURY" sensationalist headlines from the lynch mob following the handbags at the end of the game following Cole's booking and Anelka's sending off :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Originally posted by James R

Arsenal very lucky and poor refereeing gifted them victory in this one I feel.

Also on Reyes I didn't think he was anything special judging by first impressions. Should've scored. Granted James made a great save but for that money you expect him to score them. I know hes only young but he'll have to get used to being put in the same category as Van Nistelrooy and Henry with his price tag.

How sad

Edit: "Arsenal involved in yet another melee"-Some fool on Sky sports.

Jesus christ how is he allowed to say something like that .

He had to retract it just there. What a fool

Hows it sad? Did Campbell not trip Fowler before Henry's goal? Because tv replays and the commentators of the match certainly indicate he did so in that respect it cost Man City did it not?

And on Reyes what did he do that was so sensational? He turned someone on his first touch and nearly got a standing ovation - hardly spectacular. And I know if I was an Arsenal fan i'd expect a 20 million signing to score when put clear on goal. Like I said only first impressions he could go on to be the best player in the league but all I'm saying is that today he did nothing special in my opinion - he was just average. Did nothing more than the likes of Kanu would have done if he'd come off the bench

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Referee Wiley lost control of this one in last 10/15 mins. Great finish from Henry, maybe James could have got it had he not moved towar the other post first. Would have liked a draw on this one. Arsenal Chelsea next few weeks isnt it?

Wonder what will come of the handbags indeed, thought Ashley cole shoul've been sent off too. If Anelka was, he should've been too. Didnt think either of em deserved it tho.

john

Hows it sad? Did Campbell not trip Fowler before Henry's goal? Because tv replays and the commentators of the match certainly indicate he did so in that respect it cost Man City did it not?

And on Reyes what did he do that was so sensational? He turned someone on his first touch and nearly got a standing ovation - hardly spectacular. And I know if I was an Arsenal fan i'd expect a 20 million signing to score when put clear on goal. Like I said only first impressions he could go on to be the best player in the league but all I'm saying is that today he did nothing special in my opinion - he was just average. Did nothing more than the likes of Kanu would have done if he'd come off the bench

FFS.

Reyes came on for 20 mins set up at least 2 shots on target. He sholud have scored It hit james's face! im sure he ment that.

Comparing him to van and henry is just "sad". Saha played the whole match and "scored" a hugely deflected free kick.

It is also Reyes first match outside of spain

If a Man Utd fan cums every time Ronaldo does a stepover and falls on his arse then I think Arsenal fans have a right to be impressed with Reyes today. I'm an Arsenal fan, and when Arsenal buy a player for 20 million i'll let you know if i expect him to score with one of his first ever touches of the ball for his new club.

Yeah fair enough but I was just basing him on a normal performance without all the hype. Don't think it really matters where it hit James! And I didn't compare him to Van or Henry I said people will expect similar things from him. I don't think hes in the class of either of them. Maybe one day he will be but not now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

In 20 minutes of play, reyes looked so much more dangerous than anything I've seen from C.Ronaldo all season - Reyes actually looked like he wanted to score/create, rather then doing stepovers in front of the defenders or fall over them :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Theres not alot you can do in 20 minutes, he did get stuck in though. Showed a desire for the ball and worked well for the 20. Wouldn't suprise me if he doesnt get whole games for the next month or so, maybe try and work him into the side. Where you lads see him fitting in the team as arsenal fans?

john

First indications look good. He seems very similar to Henry, only he's primarily left footed so while Henry likes to play on the left side of the box, he'll play on the right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Cole should of being sent off as well, the little runt elbowed Anelkea in the chin and wouldnt give the ball back either. Loved the way Anelkea sent the little fairy flying. The ref bottled it twice in favour of Arsenal in that game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭James Hunt

Why did the SKY presenter have to retract his statement?

It was a melee, Arsenal were involved, it's certainly not their first one....'Arsenal involved in yet another melee' sounds pretty accurate.

What's the problem?

'Ashley Cole involved in yet another melee' would have been even more on the money.

Originally posted by James Hunt
    Why did the SKY presenter have to retract his statement?

It was a melee, Arsenal were involved, it's certainly not their first one....'Arsenal involved in yet another melee' sounds pretty accurate.

What's the problem?

'Ashley Cole involved in yet another melee' would have been even more on the money.

Yet another.? The other one was the old trafford "battle"

Wheres the other one? Top of the fair play league is it??

Yet another implies in happens week in week out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

Originally posted by Henry_14
    Yet another.? The other one was the old trafford "battle"

Wheres the other one? Top of the fair play league is it??

Yet another implies in happens week in week out

Your sig is one of the hardest on the eye I have ever seen...

Martin Keown is one of the most ugliest footballers i've ever seen..and that face is just disturbing....

any chance?

do you like my new sig emboss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Hows it sad? Did Campbell not trip Fowler before Henry's goal?

No, if he did the referee would have given a free. He saw it and he saw the contact that sol made with the ball.
    Because tv replays and the commentators of the match certainly indicate he did so in that respect it cost Man City did it not?

Er, if you WATCHED the replays youd see campell making contact with the ball before the player. The commentators say a lot of things before they see the replay.

I was thinking of changing it but upon further reflection(and to please you emboss) ill keep it:D

On the handbags, I don't think the ref should have sent off Anelka tbh. A booking at most would have been sufficient. Adrenaline was understandably high and it was just a bit of pushing. I suppose given the contact with the face the red was understandable, but a little bit harsh. Anelka and Edu had just laughed it off and made up when the ref came out with the red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Originally posted by RasTa
    Cole should of being sent off as well, the little runt elbowed Anelkea in the chin and wouldnt give the ball back either. Loved the way Anelkea sent the little fairy flying. The ref bottled it twice in favour of Arsenal in that game

I'd call that kind of comment a ridiculous load of hype. Neither of them should have been sent off - it was simply a load of push & shove that any decent referee would have gotten control of by giving both of them a good talking to.

I honestly believe that Fowler was fouled before the second goal, but not Anelka on the first. However, as I've always said, these things even themselves out, and Man City were given some VERY soft free kicks down the right hand side in the second half. The only difference is that Arsenal made their luck count, City didn't.

Personally, I think Reyes will play out on the left wing, with Pires moving inside to play next to Viera (as he does in the French team), with Gilberto being the man to lose out. I also think that David Bentley will be Bergkamp's eventual successor. Still, time will tell. People should realise that Reyes has never been an out-and-out striker, and should never be compared to people like Henry and Van Nistelrooy. Go watch some old Sevilla games!

I dunno, he's so like a left footed Henry that i reckon he'll partner him.

Unrelated, LOL at Cygan heading out the Man C throw-in towards the end :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

I don't think its right to just see it in terms of a normal 4-4-2 system, I can see henry, reyes and Pires as the main attacking players in the team but all three are clever and will move to where is needed. You could already see it near the end - all three came close the left touchline but henry took the ball on, so Reyes straight away darted into the middle waiting for the ball in.
    All three have shown that they are comfortable moving over to the right side and can take people on over there, it will probably be Reyes mostly taking up that position I would guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by elbow316
    In 20 minutes of play, reyes looked so much more dangerous than anything I've seen from C.Ronaldo all season - Reyes actually looked like he wanted to score/create, rather then doing stepovers in front of the defenders or fall over them :p

Of the 3 big tranfers I think saha was the most effective in the weekend matches.
    Its hard to judge over 20 minutes but Reyes should have beaten james when clean through on him but he hit it straight at him.

The ref bottled it today and in the first half he clearly told henry to wait for the whistle on a free kick , henry took it quickly and should have been booked but it was let go.There were some other very dubious decisions from the same ref that gifted Pires a pen earlier this season.

• Advertisement

*sigh*

How coluld you expect a player to make the same or even similar impact after playing 20 mins.Taking into account the conditions at highbury?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Originally posted by kaids
    do you like my new sig emboss?

manu_gimp_fags.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Eck, was horrible conditions to play a match in.

I think Arsenal deserved the win, they played the better football in the opening half and once the rain came it could have gone anyway. No two teams could play in condistions like that and expect form to count for anything.

Henry's goal was amazing, although I think Campbell clipped Fowler. Still, in those conditions (and I've played in similar) its impossible for the referee to see the incident, so its just one of those things.

Reyes, in his 20 minutes looked fantastic. What struck me most was his pace. At one point he laid the ball off and ran but the pace of his run was amazing. He was never so much a finisher but a creative player and he looks capable of linking up well with Pires, Henry and Lundberg.

As for the fracas at the end? Why was Anelka sent off? My god, Cole took three blatent swings at him, I think Anelka was grabbing Cole to say "calm down" nothing about his actions looked aggressive, it seemed all Cole to me. Edu should have gone too, he took a blatent swing. In fairness to Cole, he protested Anelkas sending off, but it was far too late. I hope they review the incident, and if they don't recind Anelkas red, they should at least ban Cole and Edu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

:D

hehe

I was with you up to this point.........

Originally posted by syke
    I hope they review the incident, and if they don't recind Anelkas red, they should at least ban Cole and Edu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Just seen Henrys goal. Great Goal. Anelka was sent of rather harshly but then again if it had been a Utd or Arsenal player that did that and wasn't sent off there would be holy war.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

Reyes looks good. Fast and creative. Want to see more of him though.

BTW, im a utd fan and i think both Kaids signature and henry_14 are both extremely pathetic and i will be taking bazh's option and blocking the **** out.

1) cos Kanu is an ugly, scar faced knob jockey and 2) because kaids signature is seriously tacky.

Anelka definitely got hit but I'm not 100% if it was Cole or Edu so someone should have joined him if the ref was being fair. In saying that I didn't think anyone deserved to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Aliminator

notice how all the 'Arsenal in ANOTHER brothel' appears ONLY when we are on top. sad sad sad.
    they could end up with 100pts at hte end of the season. twould be great
    and ffs, most of the posts up here are more tacky than either of their sigs.

we will beat chelsea and retain the FA cup

Originally posted by Ronaldo7
    Reyes looks good. Fast and creative. Want to see more of him though.

BTW, im a utd fan and i think both Kaids signature and henry_14 are both extremely pathetic and i will be taking bazh's option and blocking the **** out.

1) cos Kanu is an ugly, scar faced knob jockey and 2) because kaids signature is seriously tacky.
    ... that was the point :)

i don't even have signatures enabled, i thought it was ironic in an unsubtle sort of way given embosses comment, then again, maybe still too subtle for some of the users of this board...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yea stop leaving your sig on its very anoying in every post, cant the admit disable it to just one sig in each thread the user posts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Aliminator

amazing how arsenal threads, not about 'conduct misdemeanors,' always disintegrate after about 2 pages.
    yet Utd, or Chelski thread keep going with: 'what a performance' or 'good move in this minute, then that'
    shows the chasm between supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Originally posted by Aliminator
    notice how all the 'Arsenal in ANOTHER brothel'...

Brothel? Now there's a headline for the papers in the morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Only saw the first half and a bit of the second, but from what I saw Arsenal were lucky to get the win. Missed the 2nd goal and obviously the sending off. While I'm glad to hear that "Ratboy" got his marching orders I am worried to hear that Cole is involved in another round of handbags !!!

Good to hear that Reyes had a good match. Very good infact considering it was his first exposure to the premiership something our united colleagues seem to forget. Saha has played in the Premiership for a few years this is Reyes first exposure to it.

I'm sure the tabloids will have a few headlines about this match but thanks to the goings on at the Old Trafford with "Gibaltergate" they won't be on the back page ;)

Gandalf.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

notice that all arsenal wins lately from now on are disputed!!
    villa now man city (chelsea next??)

neither cole or anelka deserved to be sent off

arsenal deserved the victory overall
    reyes looks the real deal
    much better than dancing feet knob jockey
    utd fans were creaming themselves after his debut now look at him!:rolleyes:
    ok player but keeps getting found out

id have reyes anyday over ron

Jank I really think you need to give the Ronaldo slags a break tbh its getting really really stale !

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

I hope the sensationalism around Reyes' arrival will die down soon. I was slighty concerned when Henry said after the match that the Arsenal players were trying to play him through all the time when he came on.

Wenger's done trojan work to get Arsenal to play the best team based football I've ever seen them play. Their build up and patience in the game was excellent, but all that went out the window when Reyes came on, and they just kept targetting him.

He needs a couple of average games where he does nothing special, then people will forget about him and he will be another Pires type, working with the team and the odd moment of brilliant individual skill.

Originally posted by RasTa
    Yea stop leaving your sig on its very anoying in every post, cant the admit disable it to just one sig in each thread the user posts

No

Turns out Edu was also booked. Boosts his chances of avoiding disciplinary action considerably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

Originally posted by Henry_14
    I was thinking of changing it but upon further reflection(and to please you emboss) ill keep it:D

It's still hard on the eyes but not half as much as Martin.

OK saw the sending off incident on last nights Premiership. It was a dodgy sending off, I think the panel called it correctly saying the ref should have gotten them all back to the half way line and gotten on with the game.

Cole should have gone with Anelka and maybe Edu as well. As an Arsenal fan I was angry seeing him barging in like that. He obviously hasn’t learnt his lesson from earlier in the season.

Lucky 3 points for Arsenal I reckon.

Gandalf.

• Advertisement
Advertisement