Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rebuilding/updating

• 01-02-2004 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

I have a 5 year old Win98 computer here with a 3gb hard drive its sH*t slow and i was thinking of Wiping it putting in a new HD new RAM/processor and CD/dvd-RW.
    4 Questions:
    1. Which is more important RAm/processor?
    2. Will this be V. difficult to do?
    3. What kinda money am i looking at spending?
    4. Is it worth it?

Ned

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

There wouldn't be much point in adding anything to that system.

Just build a new one from scratch.
    You might be able to salvage the cd drive, keyboard and mouse.
    Apart from that, i'd say everything else is pretty outdated.

You have two options when building your own pc:

1) Decide your budget and get the best spec you can for the money.

2) Decide on the spec you want and then throw whatever money you have at it.

It's not really too hard to build your own.
    I won't say it's easy but if you have a fair idea of what you're doing, you should be able to get it done.
    There are tutorial's all over the net.

Killian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Would definetly recomend building a computer yourself......... its a bit daunting but follow the instructions and if you get stuck just pop onto the boards and we should be able to sort you out.

As K!LL!@N said, your better off building from scratch (id even get a new keyb, mouse and cd drive) .......... If you post your budget then we should be able to give you the best specs and links to where you can get the parts cheapest.

Ps what are your main uses for the PC, Gaming etc.......

Advertisement