Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City centre tolls could reduce Dublin traffic by 20%

• 02-02-2004 12:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2004/02/01/story132151.html
    City centre tolls could reduce Dublin traffic by 20%
    01/02/2004 - 9:33:53 am

Traffic congestion could be reduced by 20% if cars were charged to come into Dublin city during rush hour.

A new study conducted by Trinity College's centre for Transport Research shows that, if charges were introduced, 30% of drivers would switch to public transport and journey time would fall by 15%.

The possibility of congestion charges was raised after similar tolls in London halved the amount of traffic jams.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

all this is doing is taking the average punter out of the city.

All the executives will still drive in and write off the tax with their company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by syke
    all this is doing is taking the average punter out of the city.
    Well the "average punter" already uses public transport - bus passenger numbers exceed car passengers and then you have trains on top.
    Originally posted by syke
    All the executives will still drive in and write off the tax with their company.
    Not quite, the BIK rules tax cars just as much as any other income (no doubt new loopholes will arise), leaving the company parking space as one of the few advantages left.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the 15% reduction - is that for motorists or passengers or an average ?

eg: since buses are faster then moving 30% to them would mean journey times for 30% of road users would drop even if the motorists or passengers did not move any faster.

Use the carrot too. - How about subsididing Dublin Bus with a small fraction of the money that will be spent on additioal roads instead of selling off the family silver ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Wouldn't that inconvenience the speeding ministerial mercs and drunken TD's going to and from the Dáil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭West Briton

I missed the 8.10 bus linking to Hazelhatch station this morning and boy was I sorry. The 67A arrived at 8.15 and I arrived at the office in George's Street at 9.50. Normally using the train/bus combination I get in around 9.20.

I must get up on time in the morning..
    I must get up on time in the morning.. (repeat until learned) :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement