Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royston Brady gets FF nomination

Options
  • 02-02-2004 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,412 ✭✭✭✭

So I wonder how he is going to achieve "jobs for the capital and tackling the city's drugs problem" from Brussels. :rolleyes:

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2004/02/01/story132212.html
    Royston Brady gets FF nomination
    01/02/2004 - 4:24:47 pm

Dublin's Lord Mayor has been chosen as a Fianna Fáil candidate for the European Elections.

Royston Brady will stand alongside Deputy Eoin Ryan as the Fianna Fáil nominees for Dublin.

Mr Brady said he will make no apology for "putting Dublin first".

Top of his agenda are jobs for the capital and tackling the city's drugs problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Man talk about pathetic. Does he actually know where Europe is and what they do in the European Parliament. I think he's still thinking about the County Council :rolleyes: Someone needs to get their big book of politics out and explain to him what they do in Europe or Yeurrp as Harry Enfield calls it.

Gandalf.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Brady may be acting the idiot, but be under no illusions, he is probably one of the most intelligent politcians in FF right now, and I have no doubt that he will be party leader in afew years time (if he continues the way hes going)

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

This should be the most interesting battle of the European Election. Royston representing the northside FFers pitted against the southside Andrews/Ryan camp. Blood will be spilt. The most interesting thing will be watching for signs of Bertie's machine doing a typically sublime hatchet job on Eoin Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

as someone mentioned above, royston is by no means a dumb little child seeking attention, he's a very intelligent man who seems to be more driven then most FFers, and any lord mayor this city has ever seen (though dermot lacey wasn't too bad).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I'm voting for him, it gets him out of the country!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,412 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Well apparently the Bimbo Brady has some standards and quietly came out against the proposed form of e-voting. He was meant to be part of the launch, but did not take the podium. His presence in his own official residence wasn't even acknowledged.

http://www.thepost.ie/web/DocumentView/did-576673261-pageUrl--2FThe-Newspaper-2FSundays-Paper-2FNews.asp
    Any other business
    08/02/04 00:00
    Edited by Pat Leahy

The public profile of publicity-crazed mayor of Dublin Royston Brady continues to go from strength to strength.

Last weekend, he appeared on Under the Whip, a new RTE radio politics quiz. "Can you name the ten accession states of the EU?" quizmistress Kay Sheehy asked Royston.

"You want the whole ten?" asked an incredulous Royston, who the following day was nominated as a Fianna Fail's candidate for the European Parliament. "I'm not going to do the ten . . . I'll give you three. Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia."

"And Poland, I suppose you're going to throw in there," added the Lord Mayor as an afterthought.

There was much encouragement for Royston after this bright start.

"You're nearly there," said Sheehy. "You only have six to go."

This seemed to take the wind out of his sails.

"I'm not going to get the six. No. I'm not going to . . . Because this will come back to haunt me eventually [surely not?] so I'll pass. It's not worth the two points . . . I've given you Poland and Croatia. You haven't mentioned Croatia, have you?"

"No," replied Sheehy. "Croatia is wrong, you see."

"Eh, Poland," continued Royston. "Poland's right . . . [pause] Who else have we got?"

"They're beside Poland," hinted Sheeny.

Another pause. Royston (tentatively): "You've got the Czechs as well, have you? ...So. Czechs, Poles . . . Who else have you in there?"

These foreigners all look the same, that's the problem.

Incidentally, Royston is apparently putting it about that the first he heard of his candidacy was when the Sunday Independent published a story to the effect that party bosses were going to organise it.

Equally believable is the other part of the story, which is that this was the first that Bertie had heard of it as well. But now that it's in the paper, would ya have any interest in it? says the Bert, or words to that

effect. And that's exactly what he said to Ivor Callely, Sean Haughey and Pat Carey before they turned him down.

Still with the capital's first citizen, no word yet about that €5,000 it cost the City Council to have him and his blushing bride transported on their wedding day.

Royston told Joe Duffy that if it became "an issue" he would be happy to pay back the money.

Friends of RB were later putting it about that paying it back would be "no problem".

But the Mansion House is observing a stony silence, while the City Council's usually efficient press office also has no information on the matter. Hopefully that's the end of the matter, then.

Advertisement