Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prescott preview out

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

good benchmarks out of it for a 2.8ghz processor i think looks promising anyway

p.s nice ram sir random

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Here's a review from Tom's hardware in German (use Babel fish)
    http://www.tomshardware.de/cpu/20040201/index.html

Dataisgod, I think I got one of the last kits :D. Just need a new cpu now to take full advantage of it. Current choice is down to either a 2.8 SL6Z5 Northwood or a Prescott.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Boards is turning into a place for people to whore their system specs :D

perhaps my judgement was preemptive i'm not see much differeence in some of the benchmarks between the northwood and the prescott, what benefits is the prescott meant to bring straight away?

also just saw on xbit labs that the 3.4ghz northwood is going on sale tomorrow apparently

lol ;)

• Advertisement

just found that tomshardware guide review in english at www.tomshardware.com i don't usually put much fate in their reviews but they give a pretty damning conclusion imo.

they also said this

ll other systems were equipped with two 512-MB DIMMs with marginally longer timings (2-3-2-6, there are no faster 512 MB DIMMs available) for different technical reasons

i thought that mushkin supported 2-2-2-5 @ 512mb? perhaps they meant they just didn't have this ram

Yeah, mine does 446Mhz with 2,2,2,5 timings and other brands do too, so they mustn't have had any better ram.

Anyway, looks like I'll be going the SL6Z5 route. Regular P4 prices are meant to drop tomorrow too, I wonder how soon OcUK will drop theirs?

ocuk where quite quick to drop their prices last time around so i'd say they will be on the ball, a lot quicker then komplett i reckon anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

I really dont bother with Toms Hardware, its a compelte crock i think.....

In the AMD64 review, the Ram used in the P4 system was Corsair 2-2-2-5 timings, for the AMD64 is was some no-name crappy stuff with 2-4-4-8 timings...........very strange and not obvious to the average joe. (also things like that with its Power supply review). They obviously have the ram dont know what there up to.........

Read in the Paper that current intel prices are set to fall by 30% ish with the release of the new chip............. sounds tempting even to me!!

[edit] took me 15mins to write that, falling asleep......... crossed sir randoms post bout falling prices

just wondering sir random would you not see a larger performance increase by graphics card upgrade or something?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    just wondering sir random would you not see a larger performance increase by graphics card upgrade or something?
    Yes, definitely, but I've been waiting for next-gen since HL2 got pulled. I was all set to get a 9800XT 4 months ago but I'm really glad I didn't now. Only 2 months to go... ah, the benefits of patience/old age ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Nice scores Sir RanDom with just a geforce 3ti200. When You finaly get a good card them socres will be over the 20k mark.

Advertisement