Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Universal tracking file swappers in...Ireland

• 02-02-2004 1:47am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Right, it would seem Universal is now looking at users in Ireland
    Friend of mine got a letter from Esat (from Univeraal) saying his IP had been tracked from a BT site.

I actually did'ent think this would happen for some time since nothing major has happened yet in the UK, although similar letters have been sent from UK ISP's to UK users I still did'ent think it would happen in Ireland for awhile yet.

Oh well, you better all watch out...

:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Linux .isos, I swear....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

He phoned Esat about the letter and the lad in Esat told him to close down Bit Torrent once his download had finished
    :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,654 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Cabaal
    He phoned Esat about the letter and the lad in Esat told him to close down Bit Torrent once his download had finished
    :p

LOL - a biddy that understands! Very considerate he could finish his download first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

I thought they couldnt get people for dling them alone? I know bt has an upload rate built in but still thought they couldnt get you unless you used the likes of kazaa or emule?
    Also are they tracking people using websites for this kinda thing or ftps? I'd be pretty sure there'd be stiff legal ground in that respect but same on bt tho aswell. If they just got his ip of the BT site it's pointless. They cant prove ANYTHING other than he was on the site. Even if the site has dl logs per ip he can still say he didnt do it and someone else can mention ip faking. If it just of the site logs then it easily done. I've read about haxors in the states doing it to piss off the FBI by using their internal ip's for web browing etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭chopster

Can anyone answer me this , is your ip on a tracker site proof enough that you actually have the file and enough to sue you or would they have to actually go snooping around in your pc and find the file there before they can do anything .

Fair enough if they managed to gain access to your hard drive and there was the offending file then you're busted but just cause your ip may be on a particular tracker does this automatically mean that you are downloading the file and thus are liable to prosecution ?

:ninja:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

If they gain access to your hd without your permission then you could pretty much have anything on it and you could still sue them. Without a warrent or your permission doing that is illegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by chopster
    Can anyone answer me this , is your ip on a tracker site proof enough that you actually have the file and enough to sue you or would they have to actually go snooping around in your pc and find the file there before they can do anything .
    Aside from proving beyond the balance of probabilities that either the tracker data has been falsified, or your PC has been used without your authorization, I'd say yes. The tracker publishes lots of information about downloaders. In particular it will tell an observer exactly what parts of what files everyone has downloaded. One part of block of an illicit file is enough to constitute a copyright violation.

bittorrent is many things but anonymous it is not.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by longword
    bittorrent is many things but anonymous it is not.

agreed, a private DC server or ftp is a much better choice

Advertisement