Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Escaping o2 contracts.

Options
  • 02-02-2004 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

I have a UK o2 phone, but I spend a lot of time in the south so I asked o2, two months ago, to add a roaming bolt on that lets me make/receive calls and send texts at a discounted rate. To date, o2 still have not done this. I let it go the first month, last month I rang and gave out stink and was promised it had been applied to my account. (I've also tried to add it online, but their site is dreadful and does not work). This month again I have over £50 worth of calls that should be a third of that if the bolt on had been applied. It hasn't.

I have also been asking them for three months to remove the insurance subscription from my phone. Three months in a row 'Yes madam that's been removed now'. 'Are you sure about that? I was told that last month..' 'Yes, it's been removed'.

I've been trying for over a week to pay my bill online because i'm damned if i'm going to ring a premium rate 0906 number to pay them! Every time I enter in my details and click 'pay', it brings me back to the same page again, and the payment hasn't gone through. I've tried different browsers and different computers, it just doesn't work.

This morning they cut me off! I just rang up and paid my bill but TBH i'm sick to the back teeth of them. IMO they are not honouring my contract. They refuse to carry out instructions. They are stealing from me every month in the form of an insurance payment I do not want.

Has anyone here managed to get out of a mobile phone contract? Help please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Transfer to Vodafone. You'll keep the same number and they also do an all-Ireland package. Cancel all direct debits to O2 through your bank and then let O2 take you to court. Make sure you keep copies of all correspondance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by thegills
    Transfer to Vodafone. You'll keep the same number and they also do an all-Ireland package. Cancel all direct debits to O2 through your bank and then let O2 take you to court. Make sure you keep copies of all correspondance.

I seriously doubt I can transfer to another network. My contract isn't up until September. I'd rather o2 didn't take me to court as i'm living with my sister at the moment and my bill is in her address, so I don't want to tarnish her credit rating..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Originally posted by eth0_
    my bill is in her address, so I don't want to tarnish her credit rating..

Its not going to have any effect on her credit rating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

I feel your pain, I was the same ended up I got 2 pay as you go ones, far easier and less hassel, use call shops and cards as much as possible as well always cheaper, Uk website is very very very bad as well.

I know how you feel about complaining and getting no where, I have done the same with Ulster bank and also with an insurance company over €1400 for my 2 front teeth knocked out in a boxing fight, the just capitalists and I hate them.

Some one should design a web site where we can name and shame these feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

I got a call from O2 today - asking me when i was going to pay my bill for 360 eur!!!!!
    I could not believe it!
    She said it was mainly internatinal calls
    This is ok - i ring England alot

the problem is that i was supposed to be signed up for the half price International calls and was never activated so while i tought i was paying the half price i was paying the full

Phone companies....don't get me started!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Put it all in writing and and cancel the direct debit. When they write you demanding payment keep sending them the letter. Also report them (who to I dunno) that always gets their attention. The Vodafone site is as bad. I can access it about 1 in 10 times I try, no matter what PC or where I am. I gave up i the end.

Originally posted by 80project

Are you sure? What if it gets as far as them bringing me to court? I've drafted a letter which i'm sending to them, I don't have a direct debit with o2, I just pay online, or rather, over the phone because their website is so useless...

I'm going to send the letter recorded delivery tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

Cancel the direct debit. Then write them a short note detailing (as accurately as possible) the agreements you have made with various staff. Then deduct the insurance cost, and then half your international calls. Don't forget to account for the extra charge for the international package and be careful to adjust correctly for VAT.

Then send them a cheque for the amount you believe you owe. Tell them in the note that you expect the difference to be refunded to the account, and that the level of service you have contracted begins with immediate effect.

They won't cut you off, or take other action - you are acting to pay the amount not in dispute.

By the way, I note you are talking about O2 in the UK. My experience of O2 in Ireland has been excellent - they reduced my tariff, took off my insurance and even made credits to my account for rent paid forward on my account.

I don't suppose O2 would let you transfer your contract to O2 Ireland, would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

... also make sure to take account of changes that didn't happen the last month too (i.e. begin with whats owed on the current bill, then deduct amount relating to the current bill, plus the amount relating to last months bill).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

it is an account with O2 ireland.
    I was in contact with them - they are investigating.
    If they can't find a resolution i will take your advice and pay the undisputed amount.
    Cheers

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Genghis

I don't suppose O2 would let you transfer your contract to O2 Ireland, would they?

Nope. O2 uk and o2 Ireland are two entirely separate companies :-(
    This is the letter i'm sending tomorrow:

I have a contract o2 phone (07709 XXXXXX), but I spend a lot of time in the south (at least a week each month) so I asked you, over two months ago, to add a roaming bolt on that lets me make/receive calls and send texts at a discounted rate, because adding it on your website did not work. To date, you still have not done this. I let it go the first month, last month I rang and expressed my severe disappointment and was promised it had been applied to my account. (I've also tried to add it online, but as I said, your website does not work). This month again I have over £50 worth of roaming calls that should be much less if the bolt on had been applied. It hasn't.

I have also been asking them for over three months to remove the insurance subscription from my phone. Three months in a row "Yes madam that's been removed now". 'Are you sure about that?' I asked last month..' "Yes, it's been removed".

I've been trying for over a week to pay my bill online because i'm damned if i'm going to ring a premium rate 0906 number to pay my bill! Every time I enter in my details and click 'pay', it brings me back to the same page again, and the payment hasn't gone through. I've tried different browsers and different computers, the payment system just doesn't work.

This morning you cut me off! I just rang up and paid my bill but to be honest I am sick to the back teeth of your company. You are not honouring my contract. You refuse to carry out instructions. You are stealing from me every month in the form of an insurance payment I have made clear I do not want.

And lastly, I was sold this contract under false pretences. I purchased my phone in your Castlecourt store in Belfast. I explained to the girl who sold it to me that I *have* to be able to make phone calls outside the UK as I frequently travel to the Republic of Ireland for business. She assured me this would be no problem. Of course, as soon as I cross the border, my phone will not make calls or send SMS! I sent numerous emails to your support team, and each time, about a week later I got an automated email saying you are having problems and can I call on your 0906 number. I'm sorry but i'm paying you a LOT of money for a contract, and it's outrageous that you expect contract customers to call a premium rate number for support.
    I spoke to a guy in your Lisburn shop who explained to me that my phone had been barred for 3 months as perhaps I didn't have an adequate credit rating, and that everyone who pays a bond (I had to pay £50) has network restrictions placed on them for a period of at least 3 months, and any staff member would know this. The girl who sold me the phone DID NOT EXPLAIN THIS TO ME. I even asked her would there be blocks on calls for a time as this happened me once before, and she said NO.

I have no option but to give you notice of termination of this contract. I should not have to suffer financially because of the incompetence of your staff.

I am aware I have an outstanding bill, please adjust this to take into account the roaming charges you have applied to my account without applying the bolt on I requested time and time again.

Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Put in dates/times of calls to customer care if possible.

CC a copy (and make it visible on your complaint letter to Customer Care that you've cc'd it ) to:

O2
    Wellington Street
    Slough
    SL1 1YP
    UK

which is their corporate HQ, maybe addressing it for the attention of the CEO, Peter Erskine.. ;)

I said they sorted out my service after I rang and paid the bill this morning, right?
    WRONG! Tried to send some texts on my way home from work, I get t he message 'SMS SERVICE BARRED'.

I don't owe them a penny at the moment. Utter morons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Banks (in the ROI) have no control over direct debits

the originator, O2 has complete control

if O2 want to continue taking the money out by DD you can only prevent them by doing the following:

- Close your bank account
    OR
    - Watch your Bank account every day. If you see the DD going through ring your Bank and ask them to return it unpaid "mandate cancelled". They can return it on the day it is going through. They will not watch your account for you.

Direct Debits are not like Standing Orders - which are controlled by the Bank and can be cancelled easily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by eth0_
    I said they sorted out my service after I rang and paid the bill this morning, right?
    WRONG! Tried to send some texts on my way home from work, I get t he message 'SMS SERVICE BARRED'.

Oh Pooh Ireland are somewhat more sentient I find.

1. Contract customers ring 1909 ...free for natters with staff . 061203501 from off network .
    2. They generally provision and deprovision packages as they say ....in real time.
    3. They have a National Rate addon which eliminates roaming in Norn Iron (not in England though) for Oh Pooh.ie customers . see Here

Website is a buggy piece of crap I will admit

Support for data awful, Voodoofone are an absolute pleasure compared to them

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by nlgbbbblth
    Banks (in the ROI) have no control over direct debits

the originator, O2 has complete control

Direct Debits are not like Standing Orders - which are controlled by the Bank and can be cancelled easily

Not so.

If you write to the branch manager direct it will be cancelled.

If Oh Pooh try to reinstate it (they will) you have grounds for complaint against the Bank if they let it go through again.

M

Can you believe these schmucks?
    Yesterday I was able to make calls, but SMS was barred...I now find out I haven't been able to receive calls since yesterday! People are getting the number does not exist tone when they call me!

God damn. This company is a JOKE.

EDIT - After 45 mins on hold, I finally get through to someone in complaints. He said my bill payment hasn't been processed yet! I asked him how come the service bar was lifted after I rang to pay yesterday morning, yet it's been barred again this morning, he said he couldn't tell me, unless I knew who i'd been speaking to and he could ask her.

So now i'm completely uncontactable, and I was due to hear back about a job I went for today as well. Thanks, o2. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Sue them for breach of contract in the small claims courts. Does such a thing exist in NI?

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    Sue them for breach of contract in the small claims courts. Does such a thing exist in NI?

Yes, it does. I don't think i'll go as far as that just yet, i'll wait and see what the response to my letter is.
    It's nearly 2pm and I still can't make or receive calls. I just rang again and they said it's all gone through, but the network has to update my phone and that can take "A while".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Originally posted by Muck
    Not so.

If you write to the branch manager direct it will be cancelled.

If Oh Pooh try to reinstate it (they will) you have grounds for complaint against the Bank if they let it go through again.

M

I imagine OTWO and other companies like them process DDs in the same way

running a computer file once a month with thousands of names, bank details and amounts on it. this zaps the money out of people's accounts

the trick is to get your name off this list - that should be done when you cancel the DD with the company

usually they ignore your instruction

your Bank has no means of blocking the payment
    they can stop/start or cancel a standing order
    they can stop a cheque

they cannot block the DD. talks are ongoing about blocking the sort code of the OTWO/Company's bank account but this would be unsatisfactory

believe me you have to watch it yourself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Originally posted by 80project

Yes it will, in the UK your address is counted towards your credit rating and it is posible to have an address blacklisted,

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

nlgbbbblth,

since mid 2003 AIB have the capability to stop a Direct Debit once you give them the instruction in writing. I cancelled my gym sub as i was fed up paying Euro 65/month and I sent a cancellation letter to AIB and my gym last August. Of course the gym wanted 3 months notice and the three months subs to go with it and i told em to bugger off. Naturally they threatened to sue me and I still get the odd nasty letter from them-but they tried unsuccessfully to take the money from my AIB a/c and failed as AIB's new system functionality can close DD.s
    While i am normally critical of de banks AIB is on the ball here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I've closed direct debits on my account (with BOI) in the last couple of months. I walked into my branch and they cancelled them just like that. I even got letters from the companies concerned (phone companies and phone insurance companies) saying that the DDs had been cancelled.

I was delighted with the service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭raster

Originally posted by deRanged
    I've closed direct debits on my account (with BOI) in the last couple of months. I walked into my branch and they cancelled them just like that. I even got letters from the companies concerned (phone companies and phone insurance companies) saying that the DDs had been cancelled.

I was delighted with the service.

I tried cancelling a DD on my AIB current a/c, for Esat.
    AIB said they caould cancel it for free there and then, but that everytime Esat attempted to take the debit there would be a charge on my AIB statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by raster
    I tried cancelling a DD on my AIB current a/c, for Esat.
    AIB said they caould cancel it for free there and then, but that everytime Esat attempted to take the debit there would be a charge on my AIB statement.

Did they say why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭raster

Ricardo,

No, but I didn't ask, as I was only exploring my options at the time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I have posted about this elsewhere but based on a recent experience with O2 Ireland when they debited my account twice as a result of me attempting to pay my bill over the phone by laser (each time I was told that the payment had been rejected by my bank) I would not recommend the Company to anybody. Eventually I got my money back and they gave me a reasonable amount of credit but I really earned it with the fight I had to put up and the time involved. Even a letter of apology I got from them was issued unsigned.

They are mindbogglingly incompetent in my experience.

Advertisement