Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problems with Netgear MA111 USB 802.11b adapter

• 02-02-2004 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just wondering if it's me or if anyone else has problems picking up a signal with this adapter (even with USB extension cord). It can see my ad hoc network but it reports no signal. I also have a laptop with, what I believe is, a Lucent Orinocco wireless adapter. I can pretty much move around the house anywhere and get a signal to my wifi broadband router.

Didn't really get much of a chance to verify working distances but I'll do that when I get home. Reading various reviews it seems that I'm on my own here but I thought I'd chance my arm here to see if anyone's been in this position before.

Tnx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Thanks for all the replies :)

After mucking around for another while I noticed that the Netgear device was sending ok but not receiving anything from my router. It could see my WEP-enabled network OK and it was eager to send it stuff but it was getting nothing in return (bytes received == 0). So I stood around scratching head and cursing inwardly. Tried re-entering WEP key a few times and for no apparent reason the router started talking. I have no idea why. So now, whenever I need to reboot the machine, I have to go up and disable/enable the wireless connection a few times until they start talking to each other. My first thought was that DHCP server might be enabled on the machine. (My router backs down if it detects another DHCP on the network). Nope. Nothing like that running. No firewall or anything installed on the machine. Router logs don't show anything. It only shows activity when an IP address is leased. I tried booting this machine before my laptop (laptop is usually always on) thinking the router didn't like more than one device. But no.

So it's still a bit of a mystery.

To confound things I've installed my printer on this errant machine in an effort to get network printing going. But that's another thread which I can only really pursue when I get to the bottom of this problem.

Advertisement