Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipod Question

• 02-02-2004 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭

My friend was thinking of getting an Ipod but he has read reviews where the ipod gave up after a year from buying. He said this happens to every iPod and you have to buy another one after a year.

Is this true?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

supposedly yes.

do a quick google on the subject. also dave fanning did a piece on it a while back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

it doesn't happen every ipod and you don't have to buy a new one, you can get a new battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

yeah, but i;ve heard that it costs $150 for a new battery to get installed (but previously i was told $100).

Youd be better off buying a new player for tht price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

What about the mini-ipods, do they use the same battery or is it the same crap?

Is there any good alternatives to the ipod? Someone mentioed the HP iriver has been pretty much more sophisticated, only I want something as small as the ipod.

Don't creative have a new mp3 player that stores 4 gig of data, and is slightly smaller dimension wise?

I have my eyes set on a Gemini 220 from Archos. Pity it doesn't have the dimensions of the mini pod (perfect for your pocket with your mobile) but seems to be more full featured (voice recorder, photo viewer). It only accepts mp3s though music wise, but has 20 gigs).

Not out yet, say it's gonna be sh*t dear though.

http://www.archos.com/products/overview/gmini_220.html

sorry about the typos :o

There's a rumour going around that there's going to be a video ipod out for next year. I think everyone's been thinking this for a while now.

Do archos have a good reputation. I was talking to a guy saying that they break down alot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

which MP3 player would you siggest me to get?

Also, i'm looking for a place that ships iPods cheaply to Ireland. Anyone know anyplace?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

AGRH when will people stop believing false stuff

some ipods lose their battery life over time (usually like 18 months) as with any battery they degrade over time.
    many people still have the first gen ipod (2 years old) and they havn't changed the battery once.

the battery isn't user-replacable but it's $99 dollars to send it away and get a new battery in it.

ohh this might be worth a read

http://www.ipodbatteryfaq.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

OMFG OMG!!! I HEAR MOBILE PHONE BATTERIES GRADUALLY LOSE THEIR MEMORY AND SOME DIE AFTER 1-2 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

it's just the fact that's it's an ongoing expense.

it's the same with anything that has a lithium battery in it, it degrades over time

phones do it
    mp3 players do it.

not really a big deal if you take out the apple care thingy with it

Thanx for the FAQ anyway

Im thinking of getting the iPod from here:
    Ebay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

I think the creative zen models are better overall, by all accounts they have good reliability and the batteries are removable.

60gb creative zen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Originally posted by sci0x
    Im thinking of getting the iPod from here:
    Ebay

I bought mine off of ebay, I got stung for imports and vat, it took him 4 weeks to send it and in the end it would have been cheaper to buy it here.

Advertisement