Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Caught by Gatso van

Options
  • 02-02-2004 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

How long does it take from being caught to receiving the dreaded letter in the post?
    Captain Gatso was on the Naas road between Newlands Cross and the Red Cow yesterday morning.

Thanks
    Burns

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Took 6 weeks to get the letter for me back in november 2002

I dont get it, why do ppl fly along that road even though its famously known to have gatso's parked on a regular basis? I'm usually on or just above the limit on that road but ppl still zoom past me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Just a quick question, if gatso vans are parked on the foot path, are they not illegally parked? Therefore any speeder they catch is caught by means that breaks the law, Is this a basis of a challenge?

I see the Van paked between the spawell and the M50 on grass between the road & the footpath, Is it legal to park there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I see the Van paked between the spawell and the M50 on grass between the road & the footpath, Is it legal to park there?

No, it's not legal to park there. But the Gardai have an exemption from parking laws when they are in the execution of their duties. So I would doubt any challenge would work.

As a matter of interest Ando did they send you the picture of yourself?

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    As a matter of interest Ando did they send you the picture of yourself?

no, all I got was the fine in the post

Originally posted by ando
    no, all I got was the fine in the post

Did you have to nominate who was driving? It is a bone of contention on http://pepipoo.com/NewForums2/index.php

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    Did you have to nominate who was driving?[/url]

na m8, I knew it was me. I had a routine at that time, every few days I drove up that street. City centre and n'all. You would'nt think they'd have gatso's there, but they do. I never seen the one that caught me, it was probably in with a few other vans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

na m8, I knew it was me. I had a routine at that time, every few days I drove up that street. City centre and n'all. You would'nt think they'd have gatso's there, but they do. I never seen the one that caught me, it was probably in with a few other vans.

I think Mr. Bond's referring to a number of cases taken in England (and probably elsewhere) that having to identify yourself as the driver may contravene European Law because you would be incriminating yourself. I think the Gardai have claimed that the onus is on you to prove otherwise, but I woulnd't bet on that standing up in a proper court. It would be interesting to see someone take up a case like that, they'd need a lot of time money, and a desire to suffer years of Garda harassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Is that the area around the long mile round? with the mad roundabout thing?
    was there 3 weeks ago for the first time ever? It has 3 lanes so whats the speed limit? 40?

first day in my new car, hope I wasnt speeding (or caught speeding) :(

anyway, the company I work for has 5 vans with about 3 or 4 people insured to drive each van, so if one van is caught on a gatso how do they prove who was drivng? we dont keep any sort of record as to who is driving so we wouldn't know who was driving, especially not 6 weeks later

Originally posted by draffodx
    Is that the area around the long mile round? with the mad roundabout thing?
    was there 3 weeks ago for the first time ever? It has 3 lanes so whats the speed limit? 40?

They are usually about halfway between Newlands X and Red Cow Roundabout (just past Joels restaurant) heading norhtbound, or opposite there heading southbound. White Ford Transit usually or sometimes a 4x4 thing. I've seen motorcycles a couple of times, but they were probably just bringing donuts to the lads in the van.

Yes it has 3 lanes in each direction and yes it is 40 mph speed limit. Absolutely ridiculous. But profitable. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

ah right havent been down that side in ages, must remember to look out for them in the future,

Anyone know why them speed camera detecters are illegal in Ireland, of course the real reason is that they'd stop the garda gettin motorists speeding and hitting them for fines but whats the official reason?

and whats the penalty for getting caught with one of them in the car?
    cant be as bad as getting 2 points and a €80 fine

• Advertisement

Originally posted by draffodx
    ah right havent been down that side in ages, must remember to look out for them in the future,

Anyone know why them speed camera detecters are illegal in Ireland, of course the real reason is that they'd stop the garda gettin motorists speeding and hitting them for fines but whats the official reason?

and whats the penalty for getting caught with one of them in the car?
    cant be as bad as getting 2 points and a €80 fine

I'm sure they'd roll out the old "obstructing a garda in his duty" or some BS like that, conveniently ignoring the fact that it would obviously prevent someone from speeding, not to mention informing the driver that they must be in an accident blackspot (hence the speed camera :) ).

Not sure what the penalty is, I have an EazyPass thing in my car, driving through Kinnegad a few weeks back, a Garda thought he was great chasing me and pulling me over because he thought it was a detector.

I think it’s legal to own and buy one, but illegal to use it. Doesn’t really matter as the guard would probably just confiscate it if he caught you with one. I've heard of ppl getting pulled over and asked do they have one. If they said no, the guard would search the vehicle for 'drugs'

I think it’s legal to own and buy one, but illegal to use it. Doesn’t really matter as the guard would probably just confiscate it if he caught you with one. I've heard of ppl getting pulled over and asked do they have one. If they said no, the guard would search the vehicle for 'drugs'

To search a vehicle for drugs the guard has to have reason to belive there are drugs in the vehicle ie he see someone with drugs or smells them. If he wants to search it for anything else he needs a warrant. If the search is illegal then any evidence found is no good ie Radar detectors found during a drugs search would be inadmissable.
    If a cop tried that on with me I would bounce him out of the job faster than you can say "Bend over".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Mr Burns

Thanks for your replies. Looks like I have a 6 week wait to see if they do me!

Could I challenge them on the grounds that they are revenue gathering instead of invreasing road safety?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Originally posted by Mr Burns
    Could I challenge them on the grounds that they are revenue gathering instead of invreasing road safety?

No!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

just like to ask what everyones problem with guards doing their job is?. PEople are asking what speed limits are on certain roads and getting replies so people obviously know the speed limis so whats ur problem keeping too them, end of the day if ur caught speeding its ur own fault, not the guard who caught u or the government whoset the speed limit ( too low, according to some of u) thats what the government are there for, we elect them to make these descisions and should abide by the laws they set. I cant stand all these people who look for loopholes out of laws that they have broken, if u break the law, tough, its ur fault, deal with it and dont do it again, dont spend months whinging that the guard was parked in the wrong place or didnt have a hat on or sum other rubbish. And on therevenue gatherng note, if ur small child or brother/sister was run over (whether its the childs fault or not) was run over by someone speeding, id like to see u give out about the speed limits on that streych of road being too low.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

@ Stekelly - I think people are pissed off because the Gardai decide and enforce ridiculous speed limits on stretches of raodway which are capable of higher limits. This is endorsed by the fact that the minister for Transport plans on overhauling the whole speed limit system and has admitted that many roads hold limits that are lower than they should be (this is also complimented by the fact that the national speed limit will increase in speed from 60mph to 100kph).
    The fact that a wide 3 lane carriageway leaving Dublin is 40mph borders on insanity. Compare this to the road near my house in leixlip which although only about 12 foot wide allows for speeds of up to 60mph.
    I have never seen the guards travel on this or the nearby roads, never mind do a speed check. Compare this to the main roads where they have decided on the stupid limits and are just shooting fish in a barrel. It is quite difficult (in reality) to drive within the speed limit on many stretches of Dublins arterial roads [except in rush hour] and the plod know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

for a start the standard of driving in this country is awful, which needs to be addressed, but thats neither here nor there, the government need to sort that, but the fact that the goveernment have said that the speed limits should be raised and will do so is irrelevant, the speed limits are what they are ,for the moment at least, so we have to stick to them , regardless of what we think. Its a guards job to uphold EVERY law, whether anyone feels it sa trivial one or not, who enforces what law is up to the guard or their superiors. and in the same respect we have to obey the laws, whether we agree with them or not thats not our choice to make.

fair enough - I know the guards should be enforcing the laws but they should not
    a) have made them ridiculous in the first place and
    b) use them as en easy way to increase statistics but not solve Irelands high fatality rate from driving.
    Your point about the guards upholding the law is irrelevant as the dog in the street knows that this is not the case. If it were then there would be very few people working in Dail Eireann for a start.
    Bringing it back to a motoring perspective, what about drink driving. they do nothing about that (with the exception of a token sampling the odd time).
    What about uninsured drivers?
    unlicenced drivers?
    drugged / stoned drivers?
    illegal lighting on vehicles?
    I think the term is 'f**k all'!
    They do however do the odd tax check (which would support the 'increasing revenue' conspiracy thoery)

Originally posted by kbannon
    fair enough - I know the guards should be enforcing the laws but they should not
    a) have made them ridiculous in the first place and
    b) use them as en easy way to increase statistics but not solve Irelands high fatality rate from driving.
    Your point about the guards upholding the law is irrelevant as the dog in the street knows that this is not the case. If it were then there would be very few people working in Dail Eireann for a start.
    Bringing it back to a motoring perspective, what about drink driving. they do nothing about that (with the exception of a token sampling the odd time).
    What about uninsured drivers?
    unlicenced drivers?
    drugged / stoned drivers?
    illegal lighting on vehicles?
    I think the term is 'f**k all'!
    They do however do the odd tax check (which would support the 'increasing revenue' conspiracy thoery)

I agree entirely with you. Over last Xmas I did not encounter 1 drink driving check point despite driving late at night and early mornings. What the hell is going on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

they are only revenue commissioners in a uniform

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i got caught in the uk 5 years ago and tried the 'i don't know who was driving' trick (they sent me the picture and you couldn't tell cos there was 4 of us in the car at the time). i remembered getting caught and i was actually driving, but i was trying to be smart cos a friend had been caught and he really didn't remember if him or his work mate were driving and they got let off because they couldn't convict one of them if they hadn't done the crime.

didn't work though, cos they told me to go to court and the date they gave me was actually a week after the case was heard. the morning i was due to go and defend myself i got a letter saying that the case was heard a week earlier and i wasn't there so was convicted in my absense.

3 points and £250 fine.

think it was 83 in a 60 limit. still got the points now cos i didn't pay the fine (not been in the uk since) so i'm assuming the points are going to stay there till i pay, but i've not been in a situation where it's counted yet so i haven't bothered. i'd rather have the money in my pocket, and since my uk driving licence (european now) is a photo ID card type any points are not shown on it (there is a seperate old style paper section, which i've never had to use which has them listed) it's never been an issue.

i guess it might be if i'm driving and i hit someone, but since nobody has ever asked when i've been in hire cars or whatever, i'm not too bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

The 'I don't know who was driving trick' won't work as the registered owner of the car will then get the fine, fine if it's a company car or van but no good if it's your own.

Originally posted by Jip
    The 'I don't know who was driving trick' won't work as the reistered owner of the car will then get the fine, fine if it's a company car or van but no good if it's your own.

The registered owner will get the letter but you can nominate who was driving at the time. Ask them for the picture and if it dosent clearly show who was driving you can claim that you dont know who was driving. Handy if your car is driven by more than one of you. Unless the cops can prove who was driving or you confess theres shag all they can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I still think if someone is trying to say they don't know who was driving to get away with a fine the registered owner is still responsible for the payment of the fine. If that wasn't the case then everyone would be trying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

best thing to do is have a read of the local death listings and see if anyone near you has died, then try to claim they were driving the car, you'd given them a loan of it or something!

Ahh i dunno, it's probably worth a try:)

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ken90

I have heard of this being used with a company car.

800 Euro fine - No points

Originally posted by Jip
    I still think if someone is trying to say they don't know who was driving to get away with a fine the registered owner is still responsible for the payment of the fine. If that wasn't the case then everyone would be trying it.

Yes the owner would be respnsible for the payment of a fine but would not get any points. Big loophole with camera traps.

I would rather pay €80 and avoid the points.

it is unfair in the sense that if you weren't driving and state that you weren't then you have to do the guards work and find out who did. If you are in court and swear that it wasn't you then that should be that. You should not be questioned about who was driving. If you can provide an aliby that you were elsewhere at the time then you should be allowed walk away.
    What happens if your son for example steals your car, gets Gatso'ed but says nothing?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by kbannon
    it is unfair in the sense that if you weren't driving and state that you weren't then you have to do the guards work and find out who did. If you are in court and swear that it wasn't you then that should be that. You should not be questioned about who was driving. If you can provide an aliby that you were elsewhere at the time then you should be allowed walk away.
    What happens if your son for example steals your car, gets Gatso'ed but says nothing?

A very good point Kbannon. I suspect it will take a case stated to the high court to sort that out. There have been no cases like this yet , but it's only a matter of time before such a challenge is mounted.

It flies in the face of natural justice that one can be convicted of speeding with the only proof being a picture of your car with the driver unidentifiable. I always thought that the standard of proof is beyond a reasonable doubt. So if a person denies driving and can't be identified from the "evidence" then a doubt exists and the accused should be aquitted.

If the current prededents in the UK are held here then the whole gatso/automated fining system will be in chaos.

Advertisement