Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netgear DG834G Router and IOL Broadband

• 02-02-2004 1:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭

Got connected to IOL broadband and I recently bought a Netgear DG834G Wireless ASDL Router which combines modem, router, switch, 802.11g access point, and SPI True Firewall.

Managed to get it set up okay but I've got a problem with connectivity. Basically it keeps the connection alright when I am using it but if it is inactive for a period of time, the connection gets lost. I then have to login to the router via the IP address and PC/Laptop to reconnect. Right pain in the ass, especially when all you want to do is play Xbox Live. It means I have have to logon to my PC and get a connection first... :-(

Any help here...??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I have a netgear DG824M and if my connection goes down it reconnects automatically....i'll have a look when I go home and see if there's anything that needs ticked, but it worked like that from the outset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I have a separate netgear ADSL modem and 802.11g router. There is an ilde time setting where it will disconnect after that period of time. If you set this to 0 it wont in theory disconnect. If the connection goes, you shouldn't have to log onto the router to get the connection up again, any traffic heading to the outside world should cause it to connect again quietly in the background...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭decrrrrrr

What make of router are you using...???

I have the idle time set to 0 but this is not happening....

When I was using the Zybel Modem for connection, this was not happening. It's only when I changed to the Netgear that this started...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Sorry - both modem and router are Netgear. The router is a WGR614. The comment in the help about the idle timeout says:

Idle Timeout
    An idle Internet connection will be terminated after this time period.

If this value is zero (0), then the connection will be "kept alive" by re-connecting immediately whenever the connection is lost.

But this isn't much use to you if yours is already 0... Have you tried flashing the firmware? I had to on mine to get it to work propperly - not that my initial problems were timeout related. Still worth a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I have the same problem with the DG834G. All I can suggest is that you complain to Netgear. I have, and they say they are working on a solution. The more complaints the better though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭meatball

I have the DG834, firmware updated to 1.03.00.

It will not auto-connect at all. leave the thing unattended for more than an hour or two, and you will come back to a CHAP Authentication Failure. If you are lucky, you can manually disconnect and reconnect with success. Often it requires a reset or power cycling.

I don't know where the problems with IOLBB end and those of Netgear begin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by meatball
    I have the DG834, firmware updated to 1.03.00.

It will not auto-connect at all. leave the thing unattended for more than an hour or two, and you will come back to a CHAP Authentication Failure. If you are lucky, you can manually disconnect and reconnect with success. Often it requires a reset or power cycling.

I don't know where the problems with IOLBB end and those of Netgear begin...
    I recently came across this article on The Register - I don't know if it might be relevant to all the authentication problems that some people seem to have:
    Win-XP kills Verizon DSL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Router DG834G

I've also had this problem. Mine started really happening when I put a second machine on the network, I’m on Win2k

It occurs sometimes when I first try to login and then can happen anytime (like everyone else)

This wasn’t happening when I first got the router at all.

Praetorian, can you supply a contact name that we can follow up with? Or how did you raise the issue?

The weird part is sometimes you go to the settings site and click connect and your back in, other times "CHAP Authentication Failure" "LHP down" etc and fowl language takes over.

Netgear get your backsides into gear!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭sidekick

I too have the same problem with the DG834G auto reconnecting. Escalating the issue to Netgear doesn't appear to have any effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭sidekick

I may be tempting fate here but my dg834g has successfully reconnected to IOLBB everytime the connection has dropped since last Friday. Not sure what has changed but I'm sure happy. Finally always-on Internet looks a reality :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement