Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

inspiron 8600

• 02-02-2004 2:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭

I am thinking about ordering one of these from dell. Here is the specs:

Inspiron 8600 WUT PM 1.5GHz + 15.4" WUXGA + Internal Ethernet Card
    512MB 333MHz DDR Memory (2X256MB)
    60GB 9.5mm IDE Hard Drive
    4x DVD+RW
    128MB ATI Radeon Mobility 9600 PRO TURBO
    Dell TrueMobile 1300 WLAN (802.11b/g) miniPCI Card
    Bluetooth Wireless Network Card
    Promo:Upg to 3Y NBD International (Next Business Day On-site ) + Free 3Yr Complete Care

Euro 2324 inc vat.

I was wondering does anyone here have one amd if you do, what did you think of the screen, graphics card and id this a reasonable price.
    The 3 year guarantee is included in this as is a mouse and a carry case.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

why don't you take it with 1 year guarantee, and for that money add faster cpu, or 1GB ram, you can always prolong your guarantee by calling Dell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by CyberGhost
    why don't you take it with 1 year guarantee, and for that money add faster cpu, or 1GB ram, you can always prolong your guarantee by calling Dell

Yep, I agree, the "extra" warranty simply costs too much.

Matt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The graphics card is deadly, ATI recently announced the 9700 Mobility in case you are interested. I would ditch the warranty and move to a 1.7 Centrino if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

My Friend got one of these reacently.

He had to send it back cos the Mobo was faulty! This happened twice. Pritty bad for a really exspensive laptop.

Apart from that its pritty good. Rsally big and heavy. Got a 500m myself. Had no problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭digiman

i know the guarantee is expensive but at least if anyting ever goes wrong it will be covered, broken screen etc.
    Would there be much difference in speed if i went for a 1*512 ram instead of 2*256, also any opinion on the screen, i heard some people say that if anything it has too much res. on it and is a bit annoying on the eyes

• Advertisement

digiman, just take 1 year guarantee! after 1 year, purchase another year or two!

2x256 and 1x512 wouldn't make a difference that a human would notice! but i'd purchase 512 just in case you want an updrade later

i have 5150 inspiron and it has 1600x1200 res, and sometimes it damn annoying!

"My Friend got one of these reacently. He had to send it back cos the Mobo was faulty! This happened twice. Pritty bad for a really exspensive laptop."

it's his bad luck! usually Dell laptops are very good! and i'd have to argue about "expensive laptop" just take a look at Alienware and other similar config laptops they cost over 3000!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

They have a promo at the moment, they're offering free accidental damage with the three year warranty. Not bad, it's normally a couple hundred of quid extra for that...
    I was wondering does anyone here have one amd if you do, what did you think of the screen, graphics card and id this a reasonable price.
    The 3 year guarantee is included in this as is a mouse and a carry case.

Dell don't sell AMD processors...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

I think he meant "and"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭digiman

Are you sure that you can buy a warranty after you have bought the system, I was fairly sure that you couldnt do this as it would prevent people from making fraud claims.
    Also I have got the promo that lets you get the extra cover for free. I was wondering would I still qualify for tht mail in rebate that they sometimes offer, because it is worth and Euro 150. Would be very nice to get back.

well i called Dell many times and they offered a warrenty upgrade themselves!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Ya can upgrade afterwards alright. It costs it bit more though, you won't get your free accidental damage cover, and your warranty will come in to place about a month after you purchase it.

You'd be better off ordering it with the system if you reckon you need it.

Advertisement