Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My final spec

• 02-02-2004 2:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭

Ive come up with the spec for my new rig, and my first home build! Just want to check if its all compatible and I havent missed anything!! Any recommendations would be appreciated too.

-ASUS P4C800 Mainboard
    -P4 2.8ghz
    -Seagate Barracuda 160gb S-ATA HDD
    -2 x 256 PC3200 DDR RAM
    -NEC DVD ROM IDE 16x
    -Sapphire Radeon 9600 Atlantis 256MB DDR
    -Audigy 2 Sound
    -Chieftec Dragon Big Tower Case

Have I missed anything there? It adds up to a little over a grand

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,654 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I wouldn't get the 9600, get a 9600pro, 9600XT or 9800pro instead, depending on the budget the 9600 is a lot slower and there is absolutely no need for 256MB

Those components are a good choice. What I'd definitely change is the memory. Your motherboard and CPU are VERY easy to overclock, but you will need at least PC4000 memory. You'll be unlucky to get less than a 25% overclock, especially if you get yourself a decent heatsinkfan (e.g. Zalman 7000Cu)

This overclock means your pc with the pentium 4 c 2.8 would run as a pentium 4 3.5 :cool:

If budget is really tight you could consider going for the 2.4 processor. You can still have this running as a 3.0 and you could upgrade your choice of graphics card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

i would recommend getting the 9600xt off komplett for ~€140 which is frickin great for the quality of it. i got one myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

I second that point. I too bought the 9600XT form komplett, except i bought it THE DAY BEFORE they reduced the exact same card by a tenner......sickened was i.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

-ASUS P4C800 Mainboard - Good if not outstanding board. Its not compatable with the new Intel Prescott P4 chips tho.

-P4 2.8ghz - Make sure this is a P4 2.8c 800FSB chip if your planning on overclocking.

-2 x 256 PC3200 DDR RAM- Get brand name ram if your gonna overclock and make sure its a paired set of ram sticks. 512 is ok but if you can afford a gig go for it.

-Sapphire Radeon 9600 Atlantis 256MB DDR - Dump this and go for a 9600XT from Komplett.

-Audigy 2 Sound - Damm good card.

-Chieftec Dragon Big Tower Case - ewww its so ugly I expect it to star in the next Hunchback of Notre Dam movie :)

Advertisement