Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop and external dvd writer problem

• 02-02-2004 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

A friend of mine dropped up his laptop which he bought in US, he bought a pioneer 106 external dvd writer which writes DVDR- and +, it will write cdrs with no problems but when it comes to writing a dvd either data or movie it stops writing after the lead in and returns a buffer underrun error, all other applications are turned off so there is plenty of memory there, I think myself that maybe the usb2 cable isnt able to transfer the data fast enough to the writer but I would appreciate any help on the matter (-;

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

what software are you using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭thelad

Hi thanks for reply
    I use pinnacle Instant copy and have also tried Nero

okies i've being looking into this a bit, is the drive an internal drive but in a external case enclosure? What brand and type disks are you using (-r +r -rw +rw ?). I've also realised that a friend of mine has one of these drives, but it's an internal. Perhaps the usb2 connection doesn't quite work with dvd burning, I'm not saying that it won't work, just that it's a possability.

*edit* If you take a look at the pioneerelectroics site it has information about the drive, and frameware updates, be careful updating devices incase you screw it up, also make sure you have the right frameware model!! I wouldn't flash the drive via the external enclosure / usb cable myself simply because I've never tried it before and don't know if it would work *edit*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭thelad

I think I will let my m8 take the risk of updating firmware!! It is a proper external writer but as you say I dont think it can get the data quickly enough, thanks anyway

Originally posted by thelad
    It is a proper external writer

I'm pretty sure it's just a drive in an external cradle, so it wasn't necessarly designed to be an external drive. but it can be used used as one, since it is used quite a bit as an external and sold as one, but it's still an internal drive in a case. Oh also, it could be a problem with the cds you're using, get your friend to try a different brand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement