Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

svchost.exe

Options
  • 02-02-2004 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

have a problem when i connect to the internet on my pc using a 56k PCI modem after about 5mins using either mozilla or IE5 and i cannot copy paste search etc. anybody any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

by the title of your post it's probably a virus
    w32.blasterworm

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭davkav

Originally posted by egan007
    by the title of your post it's probably a virus
    w32.blasterworm

nah checked that out blaster virus aint there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

try booting from operating system cd and select repair (automatic repair)- this sould copy a new set of system files
    may solve ur problem

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Download Stinger from Mcafee. Boot into safemode (if it is a windows XP machine turn off system restore before you reboot, right click my computer >>properties >> system restore >>tick the "disable system restore" button.

Boot into safemode: turn off PC , restart, Press F8 approx 1/second while booting, select safe mode from the menu.

Double click stinger to run it.

You may not have blaster but there are at least two more that mess with svchost.exe and scanning in normal mode does not always find them. (your AV may not be up to date or may have been damaged by the virus).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

what exactly does svchost do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 dan_an_fear

a lot of stuff,
    mainly interprocess stuff if i remember correctly.
    Stuff like copy and paste etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

i had the same issues a few weeks ago when i formatted/reinstalled win2000pro.

what i had to do was upgrade to the latest service pack and the "svchost.exe" problem went away. before i installed the service pack, i had tried blaster removal, but no virueses were found.

dw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭ando

Dunno what this is about, but at least the firewall is stopping it. 10.0.0.254 is my dsl router

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Slothy

svchost.exe

this is part of windows, on windows2000 and XP etc..

Many time you get a virus and end up with two of them running. in 2000/xp click alt ctrl delete at same time, and see if there is two running, or do a find files, and delete the one in capitals.

DO NOT delete the other one. its legitimate.

then run a virus scan at http://housecall.antivirus.com
    or try it before hand.

Sometimes it will not let you remove it. you might have to run your pc in safe mode.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I had the same problem... installed this and it worked fine..

There is a patch that solves this... here

try this...

Here are ther details:

Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB824146)

A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to remotely compromise a computer running Microsoft® Windows® and gain complete control over it.

File Name:

Windows2000-KB824146-x86-ENU.exe

Download Size:

917 KB

Date Published:

9/10/2003

Version:

Overview
    A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to remotely compromise a computer running Microsoft® Windows® and gain complete control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
    Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB824146)
    English
    Download
    Change language
    Related Resources

* Security Bulletin
    * Home Page for Windows 2000
    * Windows Server Technology Centers
    * Get the Windows Server 2003 Evaluation Kit

Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000, Windows 2000 Service Pack 2, Windows 2000 Service Pack 3

* Windows 2000 Professional
    * Windows 2000 Server
    * Windows 2000 Advanced Server

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭aclane

I've got 5 svchost.exe running on my laptop (WinXP Pro) right now but everything seems fine. Could this cause a problem?

It's always ran like this as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Originally posted by Slothy
    svchost.exe

this is part of windows, on windows2000 and XP etc..

Many time you get a virus and end up with two of them running. in 2000/xp click alt ctrl delete at same time, and see if there is two running, or do a find files, and delete the one in capitals.

DO NOT delete the other one. its legitimate.

then run a virus scan at http://housecall.antivirus.com
    or try it before hand.

Sometimes it will not let you remove it. you might have to run your pc in safe mode.

Wrong.
    Running 2 or more svchost processes does not signify a virus.
    I have 3 running, practically every PC with win2k/xp will have at least 2 !

Its when they take up cpu resources for no reason is when to get suspicious.
    Run stinger.exe from Network associates and that will tell you for sure you have a windows based virus, not by counting the number of svchost processes..LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

nachia tbh

Advertisement