Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post images of beauty (quote pics sparingly) - see Mod warnings in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

uberwolf wrote: »
    lovely looking Lumen. What wheels are they?

Soul C5.0 50mm carbon clinchers. 1398g.
    Lemag wrote: »
    Was it the 'cankles' that swayed you towards the AL?

That, the price, and the curiosity to find out what a hopefully well-sorted AL frame feels like to race on.
    Neither yourself nor furiousox appear to have the VCLS seatpost which Canyon advertise as coming with both framesets/bikes? Did you buy an older model from the outlet store or are Canyon after pulling a fast one?

Outlet. Advertised as an "Ultimate AL Frame Superset 2009", €600. The decals look a bit 2008ish though. The seatpost is a 27.2, which is slightly irritating since I have several nice O/S carbon seatposts which I can't use.

The frame seems well finished (the BB slipped in very smoothly) but I'm not a fan of the tall headset or ridiculously non-standard 1.25" steerer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

New Bike - no excuses :)

190742_10150164555142922_388815897921_8140087_2383244_n.jpg

That's lovely.
    I'm only starting to hear about those Stevens bikes. Looks smashing. Where di you pick it up? -Someone was telling me they offer 50% off replacement frames if you crash. ?

@ Lumen - love the ghost rider stealth-shadow machine :D Wheels crying out for loud coloured decals though imo

Yeah - just found this on their website:

We offer our CrASh rEPLACEMENT program for all STEVENS
    carbon road and mtb frames built since 2010: in case your frame
    suffers irreparable damage from a fall or a crash, you can purchase
    a replacement frame at a special discount of 50%. This renders the
    purchase of a high-value carbon bike a safe bet–at no additional cost
    to you. For the terms and conditions refer to your STEVENS retailer or
    our website www.stevensbikes.com

Sounds fantastic. And that blue and white SLR above s available from Fitzcycles.ie for 3700 ish with sram red, which if it's as good as it looks, is a pretty smashing deal imo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭furiousox

Cycleogical have Stevens galore.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Lumen wrote: »
    Soul C5.0 50mm carbon clinchers. 1398g.

only available direct? Did you have them posted over and what was the tax hit if so?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

MAWS wrote: »
    I bought this at the weekend.

152566.JPG
    That must have been the bike you mentioned you were getting last week. Welcome to the world of Trek! I've the same frameset albeit in black. Great bike- you'll get nothing but adoring looks from those who realise that a Trek has been whats missing from their lives all this time.

Those wheels are a bonus if they come with the bike, no need to change them to a climbing set as you'll be doing the easier etape course this year!;)

• Advertisement

uberwolf wrote: »
    only available direct? Did you have them posted over and what was the tax hit if so?

Yes, yes, zero. Well, €30ish customs clearance fee to the courier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I didn't know you rode a 6.9 velo, savage frame, I got a spin on it today, very solid and feels very well put together, not a squeak or rattle on it.

Still 3800m of climbing over 208km on Act 2 of the Etape, no mean feat.

Just remember to work on your victory celebration MAWS:

7691700_017163dfad_m.jpg

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I didn't know you rode a 6.9 velo, savage frame, I got a spin on it today, very solid and feels very well put together, not a squeak or rattle on it.

Still 3800m of climbing over 208km on Act 2 of the Etape, no mean feat.

Just remember to work on your victory celebration MAWS:

7691700_017163dfad_m.jpg

Actually its the 5.5 OCLV black frameset I have. MAWS' looks like the same frameset maybe the OCLV red. Secondhand though methinks from the more aero seatpost for that frame.

Did she race it today?

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Actually its the 5.5 OCLV black frameset I have. MAWS' looks like the same frameset maybe the OCLV red. Secondhand though methinks from the more aero seatpost for that frame.

Did she race it today?

If it was red then it would be a 6 series, no? Black is 5 series, red is 6 series, or at leas that is what I was led to believe. Geometrically speaking they are identical.

If it was red then it would be a 6 series, no? Black is 5 series, red is 6 series, or at leas that is what I was led to believe. Geometrically speaking they are identical.

Yes, yes your right on that. Those are the 2008/2009 models, the red or 6 series was released after the black- actually the general public had quicker access to the red framesets than the pro's!

Very good Trek knowledge Dirk. Maybe the 3rd gen Madone 6.9 SSL for you as your next bike!?

• Advertisement

Very good Trek knowledge Dirk. Maybe the 3rd gen Madone 6.9 SSL for you as your next bike!?

Ha, no I'm saving up for a Wilier or an MCipollini next. Gotta stay in character here!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Yes, yes your right on that. Those are the 2008/2009 models, the red or 6 series was released after the black- actually the general public had quicker access to the red framesets than the pro's!

Until I read this exchange I thought there might be some chance that treks could shed their deeply deeply uncool image. I no longer think that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Boardsie in Canyon purchase shocker.

Canyon Ultimate AL, 58cm, 7.3kg as pictured.

Race bike frame swap. Will probably change stem to get more drop and reach.

hohbt0zZ.png

edit: stem swapped, steerer cut, required position achieved. Thanks DirkVoodoo!

Is it Aluminium. Still very nice. I like matt black.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Love the crank / chainset

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Outlet. Advertised as an "Ultimate AL Frame Superset 2009", €600. The decals look a bit 2008ish though. The seatpost is a 27.2, which is slightly irritating since I have several nice O/S carbon seatposts which I can't use.

The frame seems well finished (the BB slipped in very smoothly) but I'm not a fan of the tall headset or ridiculously non-standard 1.25" steerer.
    If you'd used your licence you could have got the 2011 for €649 with the carbon seatpost*. Perhaps they would have also delivered it to you unassembled with steerer uncut if you'd rung them? It is a bit crazy that they assume the steerer length for all bikes and framesets allowing no room for personal adjustment.

*unless you're saving it for a further CF/CF SLX/Aeroad splurge once you've gotten over your ridiculous 'cankle/duck foot' idiosyncrasy.

@ furiousox - Congrats on finally getting your Canyon. Hope you're happy with it. You still got this then? If so, I'm jealous. Can't be too many nicer winter trainers out there.

Cheers Lemag, yeah still have the Pinny.
    Canyon is a thing of beauty to behold, really happy with it.
    Up to me now to do them both justice!

Edit: Have adjusted the saddles on both bikes since the photos were taken!

CPL 593H

If you'd used your licence you could have got the 2011 for €649 with the carbon seatpost*. Perhaps they would have also delivered it to you unassembled with steerer uncut if you'd rung them? It is a bit crazy that they assume the steerer length for all bikes and framesets allowing no room for personal adjustment.

Is the 2011 any different, apart from the seatpost? I have a bit of an aversion to carbon seatposts, for no valid reason - I was running an alu one on the Scott (RIP). I don't think the racing discount applies to Outlet bikes, but I've asked in the spirit of optimism about a refund.

I can't imagine anyone wanting a longer steerer - the headtube and headset together are massive. I cut the steerer down 8mm today to fit the OSA stem - the clamp on the Ritchey one is really tall - and there's still a little less drop than I'm used to, I figure I'll use the drops more and if that's not enough get a 12 degree Spesh stem or 17 degree Ritchey (the only stems I can find other than the 6 degree Syntace which support 1.25" steerers).

Oh, and if any of the Trek geeks are reading after my tedious treatise on steerer tubes...I reckon MAWS's Madone is a 6 series. They're the only ones available with custom paint jobs, AFAIK.

I was running an alu one on the Scott (RIP).

Oh, and if any of the Trek geeks are reading after my tedious treatise on steerer tubes...I reckon MAWS's Madone is a 6 series. They're the only ones available with custom paint jobs, AFAIK.

Yes MAW's bike is indeed a 6 series.

Sorry to hear that the Scott is no more Lumen- I know you took great care and time building it up. We never really did have a chance to compare bottom brackets!

Did you consider one of those Chinese full carbon jobs?

I have a bit of an aversion to carbon seatposts, for no valid reason
    The seatpost is a 27.2, which is slightly irritating since I have several nice O/S carbon seatposts which I can't use.
    Is the 2011 any different, apart from the seatpost?
    Who knows? I'd at least like to think that they haven't regressed. The fork with the 2011 is SLX rather than SL.
    I don't think the racing discount applies to Outlet bikes, but I've asked in the spirit of optimism about a refund.
    I'd be pretty sure that it doesn't. No harm in trying though. Following the failure to get your refund you'll still have the opportunity to use it for a yet more expensive future purchase from Canyon;)

Hope this doesn't get me infracted/banned..

vlgFH.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

SPDs with flat shoes? Ain't gonna work very well!

AstraMonti wrote: »
    You've a keener eye than I.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Babalons

vlgFH.jpg

Banned?.... You should get a medal for this post!!
    :D

I'm still looking at her canyon.....

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭Ryath

fat bloke wrote: »
    That's lovely.
    I'm only starting to hear about those Stevens bikes. Looks smashing. Where di you pick it up? -Someone was telling me they offer 50% off replacement frames if you crash. ?

@ Lumen - love the ghost rider stealth-shadow machine :D Wheels crying out for loud coloured decals though imo

Yeah - just found this on their website:

We offer our CrASh rEPLACEMENT program for all STEVENS
    carbon road and mtb frames built since 2010: in case your frame
    suffers irreparable damage from a fall or a crash, you can purchase
    a replacement frame at a special discount of 50%. This renders the
    purchase of a high-value carbon bike a safe bet–at no additional cost
    to you. For the terms and conditions refer to your STEVENS retailer or
    our website www.stevensbikes.com

Sounds fantastic. And that blue and white SLR above s available from Fitzcycles.ie for 3700 ish with sram red, which if it's as good as it looks, is a pretty smashing deal imo

Tackleberry is fitzcycles.ie

AstraMonti wrote: »

Are they not Look Deltas?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 kellyoncobbles

Now I've completed the spending (or convinced myself I have), I've decided to post a pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

the spending never stops with bikes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Now I've completed the spending (or convinced myself I have), I've decided to post a pic.

No offence anything cos it's a sweet bike and I'd love one, bit does anyone else think Shimano chainsets ruin a good bike? Looks terrible on this bike and I'd say the same in most cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

No offence anything cos it's a sweet bike and I'd love one, bit does anyone else think Shimano chainsets ruin a good bike? Looks terrible on this bike and I'd say the same in most cases.

Poor show ! This thread is not for criticism, it's for bike love !

Advertisement