Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post images of beauty (quote pics sparingly) - see Mod warnings in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delynet

Not so much the bike but my new garage. Image of beauty for me now that I have all my tools organised. The time spent building it really ate into my cycling time but will try and get out more now.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

delynet wrote: »
    Not so much the bike but my new garage. Image of beauty for me now that I have all my tools organised.
    Neat job, very nice indeed! Tell us a bit more about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

And what do you think of the Boardman?

@Keep_Her_Lit - Kitting out the garage was not too expensive but a bit time consuming. About 6 3"x2" timber lenghts, 2 sheets of ply. Picked up the counter top for €50 and I got the Belfast sink for free. I live about 200 metres from an Aldi so you will spot a lot of their specials amongst the tools. From the outside it looks like this

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/

@Thargor - Very happy with the Boardman. Bought it late 2009 and I have covered about 5000km on it. No major problems, just the regular stuff like replacement chain and tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

@Keep_Her_Lit - Kitting out the garage was not too expensive but a bit time consuming. About 6 3"x2" timber lenghts, 2 sheets of ply. Picked up the counter top for €50 and I got the Belfast sink for free.

That garage layout is a thing of beauty. Did you get plans for the bench or just have the skills to put it together yourself?

• Advertisement

@Harrybelafonte - No plans. Just made the bit to go around the compressor first and made sure to keep a shelf free part for the high stool

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

@Harrybelafonte - No plans. Just made the bit to go around the compressor first and made sure to keep a shelf free part for the high stool

Is that one of the aldi compressors? Any good? Do you use it for more than bike work?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

The time spent building it really ate into my cycling time but will try and get out more now.
    Time well spent if you ask me. The white walls and floor paint really set it off and give it a smart, professional look. Extra bonus points if you can keep it looking that tidy. Now get back out on your bike quick while something resembling a summer is happening outside!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭dquirke1

5931353881_945d1ded04_z.jpg

5931907680_f2b5e2a166_z.jpg

My pride and joy, complete with her new wheels. (Thanks PlanetX)
    Took them for a test today and have to say that the difference is amazing.
    Took nearly 4 mins off my 40k PB, despite no real prep.
    That said, I am coming from 28 spoke, 30mm OEM rims. It's not too hard to improve on that.

If only the handlebar decals wern't so yellow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

dquirke1 wrote: »
    Took nearly 4 mins off my 40k PB, despite no real prep....

What time did you get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

167826.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

Yes please

Check out http://www.scott-sports.com/foilgame/, could turn that 'yes please' into a 'freaking sweet'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭Plastik

Was walking up Greystones yesterday and spotted both of these beauties propped against the wall of The Happy Pear, around the side, owners sipping coffee around the front without a care in the world. If I had either of these I would no more leave them out of my sight for a minute !

Pinarello Prince with Campag 11 Super Record and Garmin still mounted !
    IMG_0185.jpg

Look 695 with Shimano DI2
    IMG_0184.jpg

Lovely wheels on both also !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Right well some of you's may remember my post almost 3 months ago of starting a Giraffe print bike for the GF.
    (Original pictures in link)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72260806&postcount=3961

Well I finished it for her just in time for her birthday the other day and thought I'd throw up some final picks of it.

Got the new front forks from a lad in cycleways, quillstem by rothar, seat is a charge ladle and she says she feels the difference already, slick gatorskin tyres vast improvement on her old ones.

170326.JPG

Ended up taking the 6 speed gearing from her old bike and put it on this one. The lads in little-sport fairview got me the chainrset....46teeth though I wanted 48 but beggars can't be choosers when It's 3 days until it has to be done.
    170327.JPG

170328.JPG

I used the Sheldon browne method to get the reach required for the brakes. (2 pieces of metal to drop the hole lower)
    170329.JPG

Though As a result of the above I couldn't fit a mudguard so I used some wire and tied one to the rack so hopefully that'll prove true. Has to use P-clips for the rack too as there was no holes.

170330.JPG

Extremely happy with how this project turned out.
    Her old bike weighed 17.16kg and this one is approx 12kg so a huge reduction in weight which was a big priority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

fantastic job well done clever idea on the brakes, so is she happy with the new bike. great paint job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Crow92 wrote: »
    Extremely happy with how this project turned out.
    Her old bike weighed 17.16kg and this one is approx 12kg so a huge reduction in weight which was a big priority.
    :eek: Was she riding a Vespa? Lovely job. If you've got any other bikes you might resurrect this flagging thread by posting them there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Crow92, that's lovely.

Have you considered putting a bashguard/chainguard on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

fantastic job well done clever idea on the brakes, so is she happy with the new bike. great paint job.
    I didn't have my bike with me but she had a short cycle from dalkey to dun laoighre yesterday and she loved it, said accelerating was a lot better, it felt lighter.

She has to get used to caliper brakes instead of V-brakes, the caliper brakes don't have as much stopping power as her old v-brakes but they still work very well. Only need to give the adjustable race a little tightening.
    Lemag wrote: »
    eek.gif Was she riding a Vespa? Lovely job. If you've got any other bikes you might resurrect this flagging thread by posting them there wink.gif
    She was on a tank of a bike, I honestly didn't know you could get one that heavy, got it in Feb, only cost like 200 quid it was her first bike. It is now a frame out my back...unsure what to do with it, maybe rothar will take it?

Lumen wrote: »
    Crow92, that's lovely.

Have you considered putting a bashguard/chainguard on it?

I was thinking of it, if she finds it problematic without one I will, I don't have one on my bike either, just use the ankle clips.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

Chapeau!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭Rob987

My Trek Madone 5.9 SSLx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Rob987 wrote: »
    My Trek Madone 5.9 SSLx

Now....one from the other side please!

gman2k wrote: »

Et voila...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Those Greystones bikes are stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Et voila...
    ..and in this thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Animal bike Rob! Verrrry Nice! Think Mr Armstrong rode that bike in one of his Tour de France victories?

Arequipa.

Et voila...
    ..and in this thread ;)

..and in this thread ;)

Took some better photos this morning. Will post in other thread with spec etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I can't decide if this is just weird or not....

3220402112_1df630cc99_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Jawgap wrote: »
    I can't decide if this is just weird or not....

lolwut.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

oflahero wrote: »
    lolwut.jpg

My thoughts exactly.:D

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Just picked up my new BTW bike:
    IMG_2049.JPG
    IMG_2043.JPG
    Spec is: Soma Road Sport (Tange Prestige steel) frameset, SRAM Rival (compact), Mavic Ksyrium Equipe and LBS bits n bobs finishing kit.

Size and angles of frame is basically exactly the same as my race bike (3mm longer chain stays I think) with the idea being to have the same size bike for commuting and winter training with the same gearing mechanism etc so the transition between the two is minimal.

Advertisement