Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post images of beauty (quote pics sparingly) - see Mod warnings in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Raleigh Road Ace
    Born 1983
    Frame: 531c
    Groupset: Shimano 600ax Aero
    Rims: Mavic GP4

I raced on one of these back in the 80's and ever since the day I sold mine I've wanted one again.Could never find a good enough frame to start an expensive build project.Then along came a complete original bike in fantastic
    condition for it's age. Haven't done anything to it yet.All it needs is new tape on the bars and a Raleigh decal.One of the hoods has dried and cracked but these can't be got.It has spent over 20yrs in an attic. Cost me £200

DSC_0697-1.jpg
    th_DSC_0700.jpg th_DSC_0702.jpg th_DSC_0705.jpg th_DSC_0698.jpg th_DSC_0704.jpg th_DSC_0709.jpg th_DSC_0706.jpg

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,137 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Something familiar with that photo Tax man.

Is that not Raam's kitchen?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Give it a clean while you're in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Taxman, that's some size of a frame! Nice otherwise!

Raam wrote: »
    Give it a clean while you're in there.
    It's the lived in look I've been aiming for.:D
    gman2k wrote: »
    Taxman, that's some size of a frame! Nice otherwise!
    Yeah it's a 62cm frame but I wasn't going to let that get in the way.
    Stand over is just possible,riding is fine with saddle just where it is.
    Hell my original bike was too big for me too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Sweenox

Here's mine

Sweenox wrote: »
    Here's mine

What does that tip the scales at?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Sweenox

Hmmm not sure,I'm home next month so I'll weigh it then,a hell of a lot more than most bikes in the thread I know that much haha. Going by the transition site their full builds for these come in just under the 40lbs mark 39.3 being the heavier build so I'm guessing around the same

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

@The Tax Man. That's twice tonight you've brought a tear to my eye, once with the Boy video and now that blast from my past. Loved that ax stuff back in the day, it was so next century :D And the dynadrive pedals,I'd almost forgotten about them!

And the dynadrive pedals,I'd almost forgotten about them!

Only problem is that NO other pedal will fit those cranks.:mad:
    I remember having the white LOOK pedals on the bike at one stage so I must've replaced the cranks to fit.
    Still have my old Sidi shoes somewhere with the required cleats.:D

• Advertisement

Only problem is that NO other pedal will fit those cranks.:mad:
    I remember having the white LOOK pedals on the bike at one stage so I must've replaced the cranks to fit.
    Still have my old Sidi shoes somewhere with the required cleats.:D

There was some marketing blurb about them improving pedaling force as your foot was placed where the centre of the axle was on a normal pedal. Just noticed the aero gear levers mounted on the top of the down tube instead of the side as well. :D

I remember seeing a special edition Gitane in a shop in France, fully ax equipped, which had the front brake mounted behind the fork crown for extra bling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Raleigh Road Ace
    Born 1983
    Frame: 531c
    Groupset: Shimano 600ax Aero
    Rims: Mavic GP4

I raced on one of these back in the 80's and ever since the day I sold mine I've wanted one again.Could never find a good enough frame to start an expensive build project.Then along came a complete original bike in fantastic
    condition for it's age. Haven't done anything to it yet.All it needs is new tape on the bars and a Raleigh decal.One of the hoods has dried and cracked but these can't be got.It has spent over 20yrs in an attic. Cost me £200

you need the tracksuit from here (nice bike btw)

http://www.velociao.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/ral83_04.jpg

you need the tracksuit from here (nice bike btw)

http://www.velociao.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/ral83_04.jpg

I have one of those :D - I found it in the arric during a clearout last year! The years have been kinder to it rather than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Changed few things (still waiting for a couple of more to arrive)... now stands at 6.26kg. And I also need to cut the steerer as it looks ugly. The saddle might look like a tool to inflict pain, it also doesnt have any padding at all, but it's the most comfortable saddle I have used because it flexes so much.

swVJN.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Looks lovely Astra. The white PX really look so much better than the other colours.

On the saddle - the most comfortable saddle that I have has no padding also. However after 3 hours its no longer so comfortable. After 6 hours its a pita.

But on shorter ride it is fantatsic. I dont know why that is. I dont like padding in saddles generally (nor do I like deep chamois). But for very long rides they work for me.

Cheers! I 've only done a 5hour spin with it, felt perfect, it's like having a suspension. The other interest thing about this bike is that I prefer the gearing to the compact. I think I am climbing better (not particularly faster) with the 39/27 instead of the 34/25 on the other bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Briain O Loinsigh

My first road bike.
    199836.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Cheers! I 've only done a 5hour spin with it, felt perfect, it's like having a suspension. The other interest thing about this bike is that I prefer the gearing to the compact. I think I am climbing better (not particularly faster) with the 39/27 instead of the 34/25 on the other bike.

There are shallow climbs around here where I am much more comfortable on the 39/25 as opposed to 34/28, but I am not much of a spinner. The issue I have noticed with compact and a wide rear cassette is that there is a lot of fiddling to get the right cadence.

At least if a climb is steep you can just stick it in the easiest gear and not worry about having to shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

My first road bike.
    [IMG][/img]

Maybe its just me, but should you not level out your handlebars a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Junior

with the new wheels

• Advertisement

Junior wrote: »
    with the new wheels

Post a proper picture!

now stands at 6.26kg

I bet you are kicking yourself now you bought such a heavy frame! ;)
    Getting very hard/expensive to lose more grammes at this stage!

I see you have articulated outer cables for the brakes but not for the gears - did you try them for the gears at all?
    I used alligators myself on the MTB for front mech and fork lockout, but they wouldn't work right for some reason with the rear mech.

gman2k wrote: »
    I bet you are kicking yourself now you bought such a heavy frame! ;)
    Getting very hard/expensive to lose more grammes at this stage!

I see you have articulated outer cables for the brakes but not for the gears - did you try them for the gears at all?
    I used alligators myself on the MTB for front mech and fork lockout, but they wouldn't work right for some reason with the rear mech.

I am actually having lots of fun trying to find the cheapest possible ways to bring down the weight, it's as much fun as riding it. I am waiting for a seatpost, seatpost clamp and a set of bottle cages from Smud and that would end the "cheap" upgrades. After that I have to fork out a significant amount of money to drop weight. I tried the i-links with the gears but didn't work, but that's probably my fault. After bcmf sorted my front derailleur problem that I had with the carbon chainrings I haven't touched anything :D

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    Maybe its just me, but should you not level out your handlebars a bit?

I think it's a combination of the angle in the photo and the shape of the bars themselves. I already had the levers raised a couple of inches since I got the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I think it's a combination of the angle in the photo and the shape of the bars themselves. I already had the levers raised a couple of inches since I got the bike.

Where were they when you got the bike? on the floor? :)

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Where were they when you got the bike? on the floor? :)

Theres writing on front of the bars at the stem and it's level ,I suppose the manufacturer could of painted it arseways just for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Theres writing on front of the bars at the stem and it's level ,I suppose the manufacturer could of painted it arseways just for me :D

Dont think so...........there's a 'rule of thumb' that suggests that if the ends of the handlebars continued as a straight line they should roughly bisect the seat-tube (ie hit it at a point halfway between the seat and the bottom bracket..........try it and see, your brake hoods will rotate to a more comfortable angle for you to hold.;)

I am actually having lots of fun trying to find the cheapest possible ways to bring down the weight, it's as much fun as riding it. I am waiting for a seatpost, seatpost clamp and a set of bottle cages from Smud and that would end the "cheap" upgrades. After that I have to fork out a significant amount of money to drop weight. I tried the i-links with the gears but didn't work, but that's probably my fault. After bcmf sorted my front derailleur problem that I had with the carbon chainrings I haven't touched anything :D

BTP carbon clamps for the levers... a handy way of losing a few grammes.
    Lightweight skewers - but I resume you're at that already?
    I see you have KCNC chainring bolts? I think they might have saved 1 gramme when I weighed mine!
    What's your cassette? Campag? There are lightweight versions available from the Far East, but supposedly the shifting ain't great, better kept for out and out show ponies.
    Chain? The KMC SL10 is meant to shave a few Gs. And can be got for around £25 on eBay.
    Ripcordz inners?

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Dont think so...........there's a 'rule of thumb' that suggests that if the ends of the handlebars continued as a straight line they should roughly bisect the seat-tube (ie hit it at a point halfway between the seat and the bottom bracket..........try it and see, your brake hoods will rotate to a more comfortable angle for you to hold.;)

I've just tried what you said and I remember doing something like this after I got the bike ,but the guy in the shop told me the bars shouldn't be at that angle :(
    I had been getting pains in parts of my arms aswell ,so I put this down to myself.
    I'm really annoyed that this is something that I tried myself already and was told I was wrong for trying.

• Advertisement

Use less bar tape.

Advertisement