Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post images of beauty (quote pics sparingly) - see Mod warnings in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I've just tried what you said and I remember doing something like this after I got the bike ,but the guy in the shop told me the bars shouldn't be at that angle :(
    I had been getting pains in parts of my arms aswell ,so I put this down to myself.
    I'm really annoyed that this is something that I tried myself already and was told I was wrong for trying.

Rotate the bars until the tops of the brake Hoods are flat.
    as in this photo..

2010-pinarello-dogma-black.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

07Lapierre wrote: »

Rotate the bars until the tops of the brake Hoods are flat.
    as in this photo..

2010-pinarello-dogma-black.jpg

That bike is SO light it's floating!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    That bike is SO light it's floating!!!

Pity the forks are bent ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Mosiki

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Changed few things (still waiting for a couple of more to arrive)... now stands at 6.26kg. And I also need to cut the steerer as it looks ugly. The saddle might look like a tool to inflict pain, it also doesnt have any padding at all, but it's the most comfortable saddle I have used because it flexes so much.

swVJN.jpg

How much does it weigh with two full water bottles and a saddle bag full of tools?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

RobFowl wrote: »
    Pity the forks are bent ;)

At least its not in a kitchen!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

gman2k wrote: »
    BTP carbon clamps for the levers... a handy way of losing a few grammes.
    Lightweight skewers - but I resume you're at that already?
    I see you have KCNC chainring bolts? I think they might have saved 1 gramme when I weighed mine!
    What's your cassette? Campag? There are lightweight versions available from the Far East, but supposedly the shifting ain't great, better kept for out and out show ponies.
    Chain? The KMC SL10 is meant to shave a few Gs. And can be got for around £25 on eBay.
    Ripcordz inners?

With the BTP we are getting into extremes that I am not willing to go.
    KCNC chainring bolts yeap, campag SR cassette, not willing to compromise shifting either for a bit of weight. For the chain I ll see when it's time to be changed, plenty of life in this one.
    Mosiki wrote: »
    How much does it weigh with two full water bottles and a saddle bag full of tools?:)

This argument is invalid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

Isn't it rare to thank the tax man!

I had one of these in the late 80's, rode it up Alpe d'Huez at the age of 14! Nice memories

I think there were adaptors available for those cranks so you could fit Look or normal thread pedals.

Well wear,

Brendan
    Raleigh Road Ace
    Born 1983
    Frame: 531c
    Groupset: Shimano 600ax Aero
    Rims: Mavic GP4

I raced on one of these back in the 80's and ever since the day I sold mine I've wanted one again.Could never find a good enough frame to start an expensive build project.Then along came a complete original bike in fantastic
    condition for it's age. Haven't done anything to it yet.All it needs is new tape on the bars and a Raleigh decal.One of the hoods has dried and cracked but these can't be got.It has spent over 20yrs in an attic. Cost me £200

DSC_0697-1.jpg
    th_DSC_0700.jpg th_DSC_0702.jpg th_DSC_0705.jpg th_DSC_0698.jpg th_DSC_0704.jpg th_DSC_0709.jpg th_DSC_0706.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 fireblade001

Changed few things (still waiting for a couple of more to arrive)... now stands at 6.26kg. And I also need to cut the steerer as it looks ugly. The saddle might look like a tool to inflict pain, it also doesnt have any padding at all, but it's the most comfortable saddle I have used because it flexes so much.

swVJN.jpg

what wheels is them?? Chinese?

what wheels is them?? Chinese?

Taiwan's finest, Gigantex from wheelsmith.co.uk laced onto novatec hubs with sapim cx-rays.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

That's such a clean looking build, Astra. I really like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Raam wrote: »
    That's such a clean looking build, Astra. I really like it.

...and pictures don't do it justice. In the flesh it's just fantastic. He really does turn up to races with it looking that clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Lumen wrote: »
    ...and pictures don't do it justice. In the flesh it's just fantastic. He really does turn up to races with it looking that clean.

:eek:

Astra you are certifiable if you race on that. That bike should be your Sunday best. Reserved for a nice ride in the good weather. Sipping an espresso outside the hippy cafe, watching the world go by before dancing up the gap and home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Junior

Raam wrote: »
    Post a proper picture!

Changed the bar tape - I'll get a proper photo tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭letape

swVJN.jpg

Very nice Astra - I see now why you questioned the weight of mine! What other parts are you waiting for and do you have any other changes in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

He really does turn up to races with it looking that clean.
    ROK ON wrote: »
    Astra you are certifiable if you race on that. .
    No no no - Lumen just said that he *turns up* to races on it. He doesn't actually race it though - Prove me wrong tomorrow Astra :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Well its pretty obvious innit, he's gonna have to strip all those ridiculously HEAVY coats of white paint off that frame ! :D

letape wrote: »
    Very nice Astra - I see now why you questioned the weight of mine! What other parts are you waiting for and do you have any other changes in mind?

happy-oh-stop-it-you.jpg
    ROK ON wrote: »

Astra you are certifiable if you race on that. That bike should be your Sunday best. Reserved for a nice ride in the good weather. Sipping an espresso outside the hippy cafe, watching the world go by before dancing up the gap and home.

Haha yeah it is my good bike indeed, has been on the rain once with it. Probably tomorrow on the race will be the second time, forecast doesnt look great.
    letape wrote: »

I am waiting for a Smud-carbon seatpost, 2x bottlecages (I don't really dig the ones I have atm) and a seatpost clamp. The last thing I would be willing to do is change the fork with an Enve 1.0 but I am not even sure if it fits the frame. Other than that I am pretty much done with it.
    kenmc wrote: »
    No no no - Lumen just said that he *turns up* to races on it. He doesn't actually race it though - Prove me wrong tomorrow Astra :D

LOL! I will actually be there tomorrow!
    Murph100 wrote: »
    Well its pretty obvious innit, he's gonna have to strip all those ridiculously HEAVY coats of white paint off that frame ! :D

I bet I can lose 50g from that paint! :D hm.. Winter project maybe :P

I bet I can lose 50g from that paint! :D hm.. Winter project maybe :P
    I know someone who can help you out with that a bit.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭Plastik

Some new shoes :)

IMG_2623.jpg
    IMG_2624.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Looks mint Plastik! Here's my PX with new shoes too. Also recently changed back from a 28 to a 25 block and much happier, oh and weeded garden :o

20120317_143848.jpg

20120317_144512.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

2x bottlecages (I don't really dig the ones I have atm)

Those bottle cages you got there not great no? Look like these are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Plastik wrote: »
    Some new shoes :)

Very nice, wondering what these are and where you picked them up ?

Those bottle cages you got there not great no? Look like these are they?

Yes these are the ones. They are fine, very light and hold the bottle tight, I just don't visually like them very much. :rolleyes:
    interested wrote: »
    Very nice, wondering what these are and where you picked them up ?
    Plastik wrote: »
    Howdy, mine are from Dengfu, but I bought from their ebay shop - 'Carbonzone'. Somewhere about €425 including shipping to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Apologies, thanks for the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

mantis-bike_2191258b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭donal2000

Lovely Planet X. Not mine. Are these Cosmic wheels?

img01862resize.jpg

donal2000 wrote: »

Yeap, previous model though, 2009 probably.

LOL! I will actually be there tomorrow!
    I'd like to publicly state that Astra DID in fact turn up to the race yesterday on his shiney good bike, and he probably raced it too, although all I can tell for certain is that he crossed the finish line at least once.

We'll need some verification from someone else in the SL group that he completed 2 laps and didn't just trundle around the once :D

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Yea they are Cosmic Wheels, same as mine above. The colour and large frame looks much better than mine tho.
    Plant X have those frames on sale for €370, I'm very tempted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

donal2000 wrote: »

img01862resize.jpg
    Whos bike is it? I have a set of matching blue forks and a black frame! Any interest in a swop (though that steerer might be too short for me)?

Advertisement