Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post images of beauty (quote pics sparingly) - see Mod warnings in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭donal2000

Whos bike is it? I have a set of matching blue forks and a black frame! Any interest in a swop (though that steerer might be too short for me)?

Not sure - he is on bikeradar.com forum. That's where I got the pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

donal2000 wrote: »
    Not sure - he is on bikeradar.com forum. That's where I got the pic.

Probably in the UK. That dried out grass doesn't look like it could come from an Irish garden:). Thanks, Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

My new Bouncie Bike :D

20120418_002b.jpg

20120418_003b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Bechermann

My new baby, and first carbon bike...

6954027490_b4f4421553_b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Sweenox wrote: »
    Here's mine

199778.jpg

Looks like you're about to give it a new coat of paint. What color?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Rounding off my retro bike collection:
    Colnago Master with a mix of Dura Ace and Campagnolo parts.
    db86a852.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Colnago Master with a mix of Dura Ace and Campagnolo C Record parts.
    db86a852.jpg

You sir a are a cu*t. Thats a beaut. I love Colnagos. Seriously jealous. The chrome on the lugs and the fork is smashing.

What is the plan for the new collection. Will you ride them or just keep them looking pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭smush76

looks like a late 80's early 90's Chorus crankest....beautiful piece of kit. Any plans to swap it out and go full DA?

The Road Ace will see the road as will the Colnago when it's nice and dry out.
    Eddy stays indoors.;)
    I think I'll stick with Campy cranks,they look much nicer than Dura Ace of that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭smush76

Yeah tax man gotta agree with you there, another stunning ride and quite a collection. Do you have and plans to add to fleet, if so might I suggest one of these :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cronobikes/3542548793/in/photostream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cronobikes/4875435981/lightbox/

• Advertisement

smush76 wrote: »
    Yeah tax man gotta agree with you there, another stunning ride and quite a collection. Do you have and plans to add to fleet, if so might I suggest one of these :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cronobikes/3542548793/in/photostream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cronobikes/4875435981/lightbox/

Cheers smush,but I think the fleet is big enough right now. There's little things with the Raleigh and Colnago that need seeing to,so I've great fun trawling through eBay looking for parts.
    This evening I bought some ludicrously cheap Dura Ace ax brake pads for the Raleigh. Seller listed them as ox due to the logo in the pack looking like an ox,don't think they knew exactly what they had and how hard they are to find. Bought the lot.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭letape

Colnago Master with a mix of Dura Ace and Campagnolo C Record parts.
    db86a852.jpg

Very nice frame! I don't see the C-Record parts, other than the headset; interested in what the spec is.

letape wrote: »
    Very nice frame! I don't see the C-Record parts, other than the headset; interested in what the spec is.

Excuse my ignorance when it comes to Campagnolo.:o
    Cranks and seat post are Chorus I believe.(also pointed out by smush76)
    Everything else is from the Dura Ace 740x family.
    Stem+bars: 3TTT
    Saddle:San Marco Regal
    Rims:Mavic open 4cd
    Pedals:Shimano 7401(not pictured)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 silentfox

This is my bike, a 2011 Trek 7.1fx. Only a few months old.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭gmoorewest

Sorry the picture quality isn't great but saw this in Athlone today. Well done to whoever made it and cycles it.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

The Wasp is Dead ...

147866.JPG

... Long Live The Wasp ...

203428.jpg

"WTF is that?", one might politely enquire.

It's a medium sized Boardman Pro Hybrid. See here for the standard spec.

Tweaks & upgrades

Seatpost : Truvativ Stylo T20, 400mm x 31.6mm with 25mm layback
    [OE item was slightly too short at 350mm]

Saddle : Charge Spoon
    [A nice piece of kit at a real bargain basement price]

Slammed stem : Bontrager Race Lite, 105mm, 40deg
    [Gotta get aero!]

Bar ends : Profile Design Boxer
    [A must for climbing, accelerating and cruising; the longer Boxer variant provides space to mount the mirror in-board]

Grips : Grab On
    [Good shock absorption; minimises risk of aggravating old wrist injury]

Cassette : 11-23, 10-Spd, Shimano 6600
    [An old cassette pulled from my spares; replaces gappier 11-28 SRAM PG1050; some spacing issues had to be overcome on Ritchey rear hub but fits and works fine now]

Front rotor : Avid G3 Clean Sweep, 203mm
    [Mental! An adaptor was also needed.]

Tyres : Conti GP4000S, 700-25C
    [Tyre and tube upgrade yielded a 491g weight saving; that's more than a pound in old money]

Tubes : Conti Race 28 Light, 700 x 18/25
    [Decided not to opt for the wafer thin Supersonic model]

Pedals : Time ATAC Alium
    [Solid and dependable with bucket loads of float for dodgy knee and ankle]

Bottle cages : BBB Flexcage BBC18
    [A mere 22g each. Not bad for the price]

Mirror : Mirrycle Original
    [Bodged onto the bar end with a large P-clip, some spacers and a 6mm screw + nylock nut]

Aesthetic enhancement : 3M 9963 Fluorescent Yellow Vehicle Marking Tape, Diamond Grade, 35mm wide
    [You know you want some]

Weight (as shown): 9.9kg

First impressions
    • I've only just started commuting on it. Very happy so far.
    • Riding position is sweet and the Charge Spoon is anatomically agreeable.
    • It's a good couple of kg lighter and is slightly faster rolling than The Wasp Mk I.
    • I've developed an instant liking for the SRAM double tap shifters.
    • The brakes are hilariously good.
    • Looking forward to the next 100,000km or so biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Aww, I'm going to miss Wasp MK 1, saw it buzzing around town once or twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@Keep_Her_Lit needs the mudguards and rack!

edit...

I'm a bit confused about the "A must for climbing, accelerating and cruising" qualification for your bar ends. I think you're saying "the tops are in the wrong position but that's the only place I can brake or shift".

Integrated shifters and drops obviously solve this problem, but then you'd have to use mechanical disc brakes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Keepherlit - were you cycling on the Dublin Outer Ring road last night about 6.45pm. I saw a guy on a very similar bike.

What stood out immediately was not the yellow bangs but how wide the front end is - the mirror I guess.

Also your position on the bile seemed umusual. I was wondering did you have TT bars. Now I see a picture I see the stem setup.

It's visible anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,850 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Tape application is a big step up on the mk1. Certainly optimises your t-junction visibility. Not sure how effective it is from the traditional behind/in-front view :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

"WTF is that?", one might politely enquire.

I wouldnt put it so politely... :D I had to double check to make sure I am on the image of beauty thread.. well.. enjoy it! It looks kinda of freakish but it's unique, i ll give you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

Thanks for the feedback chaps. It's all good!
    Lumen wrote: »
    @Keep_Her_Lit needs the mudguards and rack!
    Yes, I just thought I'd sneak a naked pic in first. The mudguards and rack will of course push the weight beyond 10kg.
    Lumen wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused about the "A must for climbing, accelerating and cruising" qualification for your bar ends. I think you're saying "the tops are in the wrong position but that's the only place I can brake or shift".
    You'd be right in saying that the reach to the bars isn't optimal. But the cause and effect is in the opposite direction. That is, since I use the bar ends nearly all of the time, I've chosen the stem to give the desired reach when using them, rather than when using the flat bars. I find that the pronated grip required for the flat bars isn't as comfortable and is less effective at transmitting force during acceleration and climbing.

Overall, I certainly couldn't offer a sound scientific defence of the riding position. It's just something that evolved over time as I replaced and adjusted components on the Mk I. It seems to work for me and I've grown to really like it.
    ROK ON wrote: »
    Keepherlit - were you cycling on the Dublin Outer Ring road last night about 6.45pm. I saw a guy on a very similar bike.
    Yes, that was most probably me.
    ROK ON wrote: »
    What stood out immediately was not the yellow bangs but how wide the front end is - the mirror I guess.
    In fact, I've cut the bars back slightly to 580mm, which I think is pretty standard for XC flat bars, though that's obviously still a good bit wider than most drops. It's probably not the most aerodynamically efficient place to have my hands. And it's not ideal for squeezing through tight gaps in traffic either, though I need to do relatively little of that. Once the bars are populated with grips, bar-ends, shifters, brakes, lights and computer, there isn't much spare length remaining. So I'll probably leave them at 580mm.
    fat bloke wrote: »
    Tape application is a big step up on the mk1. Certainly optimises your t-junction visibility. Not sure how effective it is from the traditional behind/in-front view :)
    Needless to say, it still doesn't protect you from SMIDSY's. But I've had a couple of drivers tell me that it (Mk I) stands out a mile in the dark, so it certainly makes a difference to some road users.
    smacl wrote: »
    Hey, that's not a bad idea! The bar ends are a bit slippy when wet. And the tape colour is suitably garish!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dutchie

[IMG][/img]28AA63D514A84DD9928779BF09F9D37A-0000340186-0002845061-00800L-37B08DB5C6A948679E804816F266C997.jpg

My little Chariot, nothing special but it gets from A to B.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

DSC05138.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

were you heading anywhere special;)

were you heading anywhere special;)

Planning to go to kerry and the west coast over the summer so I did a 70km test run with prospective baggage yesterday.

Carried -

3 days worth of clothes
    Tent
    Sleeping bag
    Trangia Stove + fuel
    Towels + Toiletries
    Some books to account for some extra weight for accessories that I would be carrying

Lessons learnt

Saddle could be comfier - Might invest in a brooks leather saddle

Brakes need extra oomph - Some tektro dual pivots to replace the period correct Shimano 600 sidepulls. Or perhaps some kool stop pads first.

A handlebar bag for stuff that needed to be close to hand would be useful - maps, phone, camera, money etc.

BX 19 wrote: »
    Planning to go to kerry and the west coast over the summer so I did a 70km test run with prospective baggage yesterday.

Carried -

3 days worth of clothes
    Tent
    Sleeping bag
    Trangia Stove + fuel
    Towels + Toiletries
    Some books to account for some extra weight for accessories that I would be carrying

Lessons learnt

Saddle could be comfier - Might invest in a brooks leather saddle

Brakes need extra oomph - Some tektro dual pivots to replace the period correct Shimano 600 sidepulls. Or perhaps some kool stop pads first.

A handlebar bag for stuff that needed to be close to hand would be useful - maps, phone, camera, money etc.

Great stuff isn't it amazing all the stuff you need on a bike tour ;)
    i ride a brooks on my tourer great saddle but be warned at times they need breaking in,:eek: i was ok on that issue as my ass should be as hard as iron by now :D but consider a fizek alainti saddle excellent saddle straigh out of the box. go for kool stop salmon excellent.hard to beat the ortlieb barbag top notch.. i'm doing mizen to malin in late may camping all the way probably if all goes well 50 miles a day.

Great stuff isn't it amazing all the stuff you need on a bike tour ;)
    i ride a brooks on my tourer great saddle but be warned at times they need breaking in,:eek: i was ok on that issue as my ass should be as hard as iron by now :D but consider a fizek alainti saddle excellent saddle straigh out of the box. go for kool stop salmon excellent.hard to beat the ortlieb barbag top notch.. i'm doing mizen to malin in late may camping all the way probably if all goes well 50 miles a day.

I had a go on a Brooks B17 (it was older then me so it was well broken in and it is amazing how long they last...) and I fell in love with it. So bloody comfortable As soon as I get a bit of cash together its a new seatpost/saddle. I'll have a look at the fizik saddles, I was eyeing them in the rose catalog they seem like a decent design, however, a brooks fits right in with a 26 year old steel tourer.

I'll try the koolstops first, its no harm. I can move them over to the new calipers if needs be :)

I really need a job though before I do this. All these things cost money to a broke college student. :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Work whats that i'm 3 bloody years now unemployed but i'm not the only one.try SPA cycles for you brooks or SJS cycles mind you i think chainreaction do brooks saddles the b17 special with copper rivets is the dog's Well i would say that:D:D
    anyway best of luck hope you get to where your going.;)

Advertisement