Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post images of beauty (quote pics sparingly) - see Mod warnings in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Your bike gives me a horn! Where are those wheels from?

http://www.ffwdshop.com/wheels/road-tubular/F6R?language=en

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Zyzz wrote: »

Hah! I thought it said FFUD on them and couldn't figure it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Hah! I thought it said FFUD on them and couldn't figure it out!

It's like I don't even know you.

Raam wrote: »
    It's like I don't even know you.

And you are..?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Restored my 1983 Colnago Master. Full respray and then a shedload of simichrome polish and several hours with the steel wool. Worth the worn out fingertips and knuckles to see an old classic back in roadworthy condition. (Please ignore the pedals they are there to let me try it out, buffing up the original "toe baskets" as Sean Kelly calls them at the moment). Hopefully this gets to a few vintage sportif's next year.

Col1.jpg

col2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭Plastik

Not mine, someone else's creation! Love it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

That's fuppin' luvly! Did you spray it yourself?
    Quigs Snr wrote: »

Col1.jpg

col2.jpg

Don't all hate me for this but I really, really don't get the crazy attraction to the old style bicycles. Give me modern models any day over the old stuff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Thought Gilbert's world championship bike was gorgeous.

121.jpg

181.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

an old steel frame is a thing of beauty made by skilled hands by men in brown overalls .these men were artist each make was so different not like the hu fooo ones that all came out of the same press we get to day

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

In my eyes, old steel bikes all look much more similar to each other than current carbon ones. All a matter of opinion.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Thought Gilbert's world championship bike was gorgeous.

The tiny triangle really puts me off BMC bikes, it jars the eye.
    Don't all hate me for this but I really, really don't get the crazy attraction to the old style bicycles. Give me modern models any day over the old stuff.
    In my eyes, old steel bikes all look much more similar to each other than current carbon ones. All a matter of opinion.

I completely agree. All the classic steel bikes have the exact same geometry, you could put a Colnago decal on any aul bike and there's no way you could tell the difference.

Modern carbon every time for me.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Don't all hate me for this but I really, really don't get the crazy attraction to the old style bicycles.

It's about things that come from a time when everything was better.

Think Ursula Andress vs Cheryl Cole.

I would tend to agree. Hence I have just the one sitting right next to (amongst others) a Cervelo S2, S5, R3SL, P4 and Specialized Shiv and I wouldn't swap any of them for the Colnago if you put a gun to my head and made me choose. Although the purists will tell you its less about the looks with old steel and more about the feel.

The attraction for me with the old Colnago is both as a leisure machine for a few vintage sportif's if I want to take a break from racing. But mostly its just nostalgia. For those of us of a certain age, this (or similar) was the superbike of its day. My first cheapo racer in the mid 80s was a nasty eastern european copy of this in the saronni red colour scheme, when I outgrew that one my second was an arguably even nastier one which was obviously a UK supermarket brand rip off. All along though I had a poster on the wall of this exact Colnago and it was always as unattainable to the 12 year old me as a Ferrari would have been. So when I got a bit older, I was sitting there one day amongst about 50k worth of a bike collection thinking, I might be 30 years late, but I'm having that Colnago. And when I am done with that I will find another project (Next project will be a 5kg Cervelo R5 I think).

I would disagree that you could throw a Colnago logo on any old frame though. For a start the master has "star shaped" i.e. non round tubing initially Columbus Gilco, which is pretty much unique. It is also pantographed quite heavily although subtley especially in the chromework. And the geometry is all over the map compared to far more standardised modern machines. This one is low and short in the flesh, whilst most from that era are low and long at the front. Generally I found the the geometry varied wildly, which is fair enough as although many were mass produced, custom jobs were relatively common compared to nowadays. They also came at one point in approximately 23 different sizing and geometry options.

Check out what I mean about the pantographing (engraving) here and the unusual tube shapes: Loads more in the bike e.g. under the BB etc...

col3.jpg

col4.jpg

col5.jpg

col6.jpg

Dermot Illogical, I didn't paint myself, I had a UK company do it. It was quite expensive, even with me doing the paint stripping but when you have your mind set on something you may as well pay the money. I did however save the whole original Campagnolo Super Record groupset with quite a lot of manual labour.

Lumen wrote: »
    It's about things that come from a time when everything was better.

Think Ursula Andress vs Cheryl Cole.

Jeez, even your post is thanked by an auld fella! That says it all for me! He probably remembers when this was all fields!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 835 ✭✭✭countrykid

I completely agree. All the classic steel bikes have the exact same geometry, you could put a Colnago decal on any aul bike and there's no way you could tell the difference

Never seen a classic Colnago in the flesh then? Oh dear....

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    I would tend to agree. Hence I have just the one sitting right next to (amongst others) a Cervelo S2, S5, R3SL, P4 and Specialized Shiv and I wouldn't swap any of them for the Colnago if you put a gun to my head and made me choose. Although the purists will tell you its less about the looks with old steel and more about the feel.

The attraction for me with the old Colnago is both as a leisure machine for a few vintage sportif's if I want to take a break from racing. But mostly its just nostalgia. For those of us of a certain age, this (or similar) was the superbike of its day. My first cheapo racer in the mid 80s was a nasty eastern european copy of this in the saronni red colour scheme, when I outgrew that one my second was an arguably even nastier one which was obviously a UK supermarket brand rip off. All along though I had a poster on the wall of this exact Colnago and it was always as unattainable to the 12 year old me as a Ferrari would have been. So when I got a bit older, I was sitting there one day amongst about 50k worth of a bike collection thinking, I might be 30 years late, but I'm having that Colnago. And when I am done with that I will find another project (Next project will be a 5kg Cervelo R5 I think).

I would disagree that you could throw a Colnago logo on any old frame though. For a start the master has "star shaped" i.e. non round tubing initially Columbus Gilco, which is pretty much unique. It is also pantographed quite heavily although subtley especially in the chromework. And the geometry is all over the map compared to far more standardised modern machines. This one is low and short in the flesh, whilst most from that era are low and long at the front.

Check out what I mean about the pantographing (engraving) here and the unusual tube shapes: Loads more in the bike e.g. under the BB etc...

col3.jpg

col4.jpg

col5.jpg

col6.jpg

Dermot Illogical, I didn't paint myself, I had a UK company do it. It was quite expensive but when you have your mind set on something you may as well pay the money. I did however save the whole original Campagnolo Super Record groupset with quite a lot of manual labour.

Eh, it's a triple FFS! You guys are making my campaign effortless for me!

Eh, it's a triple FFS! You guys are making my campaign effortless for me!

Leisure bike, although a colleague of mine had great fun with his similarly geared vintage machine turning up at a local league and being in the mix all night in the elite group, shifting down with his knee like an old pro.

I tell you what though... they didn't do triples back then like they do now though. This one is a 53-42-36 with a 21-12 on the back. I rather suspect it will be harder to get up a steep gradient than the 39x25 on my winter bike.

Kudos to the hardmen who used to ride these 10kg beasts in the tour with a 42/21 in the alpes as Stephen Roche mentions in his recent book. New found respect for those guys. No wonder they retired earlier back then, their knees must have required reconstructive surgery before they were 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Brian? wrote: »
    I completely agree. All the classic steel bikes have the exact same geometry, you could put a Colnago decal on any aul bike and there's no way you could tell the difference.

Modern carbon every time for me.

So when you look at a steel frame all you see is two triangles. There's a lot more to a steel frame,lugs,BB,break\chain stay bridges all differed across the frame builders to some degree or another.

Your example of putting a Colnago decal on any aul bike was probably the worst you could have chosen. On my Colnago,besides the decals, there are markings stamped on the lugs,seat stays,BB,break bridge and drop outs that prove it's a genuine Colnago frame. 9 in total.

So when you look at a steel frame all you see is two triangles. There's a lot more to a steel frame,lugs,BB,break\chain stay bridges all differed across the frame builders to some degree or another.

Your example of putting a Colnago decal on any aul bike was probably the worst you could have chosen. On my Colnago,besides the decals, there are markings stamped on the lugs,seat stays,BB,break bridge and drop outs that prove it's a genuine Colnago frame. 9 in total.

Don't mind them Brian, they're stuck in the past. Probably have no tv signal after the aerial was taken down by the man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

old steel bikes all look much more similar to each other
    Because that's how a bike is supposed to look. Not like a two wheeled bat mobile.

Because that's how a bike is supposed to look. Not like a two wheeled bat mobile.

Nah :D give me a batmobile anyday over a bike made of shiny scaffolding.

Road bikes should look aggressive, like they'd bite your head off.

peter-sagan-tourminator1.jpeg

velodramatic_specialized_mclaren_venge_4974_600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

abio-shaft-drive.jpg

Absoluvely wrote: »
    abio-shaft-drive.jpg

Very sloppy work on that. You can clearly see the welded joints.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Don't mind them Brian, they're stuck in the past. Probably have no tv signal after the aerial was taken down by the man!

I still have an aerial on the roof.(though redundant)
    But I also have this..
    th_DSC_0712.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

The way to look at classic steel frames (in Swiss Tony parlance) is a lot like having sex with a beautiful woman.

Clearly young master Lusk would fancy a bit of slap and tickle out back with some tramp from the North of England. Then in the corner representing the connoisseurs choice is Lumen who would seduce a Bomd girl in some far flung exotic location.

Plastic versus steel
    Cheap taiwanese cr&p versus classic Italian craftsmanship,
    Claret versus Aldi plonk
    Epoisse versus Easi-singles

countrykid wrote: »
    I completely agree. All the classic steel bikes have the exact same geometry, you could put a Colnago decal on any aul bike and there's no way you could tell the difference

Never seen a classic Colnago in the flesh then? Oh dear....

That actually made me laugh out loud.

I threw a "classic" Colnago in a skip about ten years ago because I couldn't give it away. Along with a Reynolds 501 frame.

Maybe it's because I had old steel bikes as a teenager that I have no grá for them now. Give me my carbon bike any day.

they/them/theirs

ROK ON wrote: »

Plastic versus steel
    Claret versus Aldi plonk

This is clearly nonsense.

It's more Lexus GS300 v fiat 127.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Quigs that's a most beautiful bike restored with obvious skill and dedication. That would be at the front of my collection.
    Timeless style vs current fashion is all.

• Advertisement

ROK ON wrote: »
    The way to look at classic steel frames (in Swiss Tony parlance) is a lot like having sex with a beautiful woman.

Clearly young master Lusk would fancy a bit of slap and tickle out back with some tramp from the North of England. Then in the corner representing the connoisseurs choice is Lumen who would seduce a Bomd girl in some far flung exotic location.

Plastic versus steel
    Claret versus Aldi plonk

Lumen could never seduce a Bomd girl, let alone a Bond girl! Also, I had some port salut cheese last night with a rare vineyards malbec from superquinn!

What's wrong with being a tramp from the North of En-ger-land? I'll get Beasty after you for saying that!

Advertisement