Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post images of beauty (quote pics sparingly) - see Mod warnings in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

This is the same argument that one has when someone of a certain vintage says music was better in the old days.

It wasn't. It's just that now, at a certain remove, nobody remembers the cheap, nasty crap that sold the most: the only things that people remember now is the quality stuff. Nobody gets nostalgic listening to the Bay City Rollers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭happytramp

This is the same argument that one has when someone of a certain vintage says music was better in the old days.

Except that music actually was better in the old days. 60's-90's vs the ear puke of the last two decades.

I think the fondness for good quality steel frames stems from the fact that many frames today look like a step back down the evolutionary ladder. It's been ingrained into us to believe that small, slim, minimalist, chrome is good while fat, clunky, plasticy looking is bad. Many modern bikes are the visual equivalent of the 1980's giant mobile phone. "Look everybody... we've made our product bigger, added more material, made it more fussy and cluttered"

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭RonanCFD

Some vintage frames leave me a little cold, but Quigs' Colnago is absolutely beautiful. Would it be complete heresy to build a frameset like this up with modern components? (Campag of course). I have no nostalgia for downtube shifters at all, and the thought of going back to the brake calipers from a few decades ago fills me with fear.

Of course there's also the slight problem that I have no need for another steel bike, but when did that stop anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

happytramp wrote: »
    Except that music actually was better in the old days. 60's-90's vs the ear puke of the last two decades.

I think the fondness for good quality steel frames stems from the fact that many frames today look like a step back down the evolutionary ladder. It's been ingrained into us to believe that small, slim, minimalist, chrome is good while fat, clunky, plasticy looking is bad. Many modern bikes are the visual equivalent of the 1980's giant mobile phone. "Look everybody... we've made our product bigger, added more material, made it more fussy and cluttered"

Are you allowed to even have a bike in Jail? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

May I present to you the best of both worlds. And possibly mine for Christmas...

IMGP2104.JPG

Velo-Orange's new Passhunter. Lovely.

• Advertisement

Aaaaaahhhhh......

279884.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

RonanCFD wrote: »
    Some vintage frames leave me a little cold, but Quigs' Colnago is absolutely beautiful. Would it be complete heresy to build a frameset like this up with modern components? (Campag of course). I have no nostalgia for downtube shifters at all, and the thought of going back to the brake calipers from a few decades ago fills me with fear.

Of course there's also the slight problem that I have no need for another steel bike, but when did that stop anyone?

Colnago still make this frame built with modern campag record. It was reviewed on bikeradar last month (at an eye watering £4500+ pricepoint)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Pinarello's are so light they float!

Pinarello_Dogma_65_747.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭RonanCFD

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Colnago still make this frame built with modern campag record. It was reviewed on bikeradar last month (at an eye watering £4500+ pricepoint)

I was just poking around and saw that. Only problem is that my budget would be missing a zero off that!

Now there's capturing the Olympic spirit and then there's this...a thing of real beauty!

279937.jpg

Fairly sure that there's an old Colnago or some other heap of steel under there somewhere :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Aaaaaahhhhh......

no recessed brakes for aero purposes? discounted straight away, may as well buy an old peugeot

Just kidding, think wheelworx have a less flash version of this in store. lovely looking machine

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

TT bikes are awful. All of them. Especially this one. It looks like a fúcking boat or something.

cannondale_slice_full_view_600.jpg

Raam wrote: »
    TT bikes are awful. All of them. Especially this one. It looks like a fúcking boat or something.

cannondale_slice_full_view_600.jpg

You're only saying that cos you ain't no good at TT'ing on the flat! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Brian? wrote: »
    This is clearly nonsense.

It's more Lexus GS300 v fiat 127.

A soulless badge enginered barge vs. A foundly remembered characterful classic.

A soulless babe enginered barge vs. A foundly remembered characterful classic.

exactly.

will both get you there: Yes
    Will one get you there faster: yes.
    in more comfort: yes
    with more gadgets: Yes

which one gives the bigger smile though....ahhh

mossym wrote: »
    exactly.

will both get you there: Yes
    Will one get you there faster: yes.
    in more comfort: yes
    with more gadgets: Yes

which one gives the bigger smile though....ahhh

Yea. I just got rid of my tractor and bought a horse so I can till the fields old school style. So satisfying and people will look at me and say "Wow, that guy is rocking the old school approach. Now let's all lean forward and clap ourselves on the back for being so so retro and awesome."

Puh-lease!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

This comparison is daft, more images of beauty please less chat, chop chop.

Yea. I just got rid of my tractor and bought a horse so I can till the fields old school style. So satisfying and people will look at me and say "Wow, that guy is rocking the old school approach. Now let's all lean forward and cap ourselves on the back for being so so retro and awesome."

Puh-lease!

ah, well if the main priority is what other people think then i can understand the shiny new bike fascination. :D

and that's an awful analogy. it's like comparing a new bike to walking. plenty of blokes in Ireland (not one of them myself) who meet up at vintage tractor rallys every weekend, so the same fascination is there with old tractors as well. can that old tractor till as well as a new one? probably slower, but it will work.

you know what they say about flawed analogies.........:D

AstraMonti wrote: »
    This comparison is daft, more images of beauty please less chat, chop chop.

sorry you;re right. time to go truly retro. :)

$(KGrHqN,!hEE1hJbRw7hBNns04JHP!~~_35.JPG?set_id=8800005007

probably get banned for that, but my last post on the retro subject, i promise..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

OldBean wrote: »
    May I present to you the best of both worlds. And possibly mine for Christmas...

Velo-Orange's new Passhunter. Lovely.

The brazing on the stays and the lugging on the fork crowns is fecking gorgeous.

So much want.

• Advertisement

This is so cool

file.php?id=56955&mode=view

file.php?id=56956&mode=view

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

This is so cool

A steed for your next evil 200?

Haha! I haven't lost my mind.. that much yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

Ah old bean, here's my recently finished real old bean.

A 1955 Claud Butler, with Campagnolo Valentino rear mech & single 5speed lever, Magistrone cottered crank, old Leopard Hubs, 27x11/4 Weinmann Rims, Milremo Bars, Weinmann Brakes, Bluemel Guards. I made the bottle cage out of 50's Meccano - nearly took me as long as building the whole bike! Could be yours for Christmas too!

But, wow do I salute your Velo Orange find!

10826596536_5688b959ed_b.jpg

IMGP2104.JPG

Velo-Orange's new Passhunter. Lovely.[/QUOTE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

look-kg-282-ti-1.jpg

Northside_Giant-7.jpg

IMG_1557_complete2.jpg

10532957905_29d8fa4403_b.jpg

53115d1336309409-7146048835_4247a03fca_b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

This is so cool

http://vimeo.com/78481279

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Someone mentioned putting modern components on a classic. This sort of fits the bill. Same steel Master frame as my own, albeit far more recent version (limited edition gold and black) with modern components. Interesting build.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7125/7619993996_45befd484b_b.jpg"]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7125/7619993996_45befd484b_b.jpg"]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7125/7619993996_45befd484b_b.jpg

How about this for a tandem ride!

280025.jpg

This is a Ferrari so it must be beautiful, right?

280026.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

This is a Ferrari so it must be beautiful, right?

280026.jpg

MOD VOICE: USER HAS BEEN BANNED FOR THIS POST

BEEFY

Advertisement