Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post images of beauty (quote pics sparingly) - see Mod warnings in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

outfox wrote: »
    Can somebody please explain to me why 70s and 80s style frames are so cool at the moment? A large proportion of the bikes in this beauty thread are old steel type bikes. I like the simplicity and minimalism of the designs, but is the whole retro thing getting out of hand?

Submit - resistance is futile. Drink the Cool-ade. :)
    Appreciation come with age.......the bikes, and yours!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

jumping up steps.gif

I raise you..

bFRaFG2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Can somebody please explain to me why 70s and 80s style frames are so cool at the moment? A large proportion of the bikes in this beauty thread are old steel type bikes. I like the simplicity and minimalism of the designs, but is the whole retro thing getting out of hand?

There is a big difference between 70s and 80s frames and style of frames. Please clarify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Pegoretti-custom-painted-road-bikes-red-black01-600x398.jpgPegoretti-custom-painted-road-bikes-red-black02-600x399.jpg
    Pegoretti-custom-painted-road-bikes-colorful01-600x389.jpgPegoretti-custom-painted-road-bikes-colorful02-600x399.jpg
    Pegoretti-custom-painted-road-bikes-music-theme01-600x398.jpgPegoretti-custom-painted-road-bikes-music-theme02-600x398.jpgPegoretti-custom-painted-road-bikes-music-theme03-600x273.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Lads and ladies,

There has been far to much beyond questionable images of "beauty" slapped on these pages recently. I've had about all that I can take. Yes I'm talking to you , ROK ON! Or anyone else who cares to listen!

This is me salvaging this thread for the children with a real image of beauty!

281590.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

^^^

squinting-at-screen.jpg

^ Spending too much time on "boards" is bad for your eyesight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Lads and ladies,

There has been far to much beyond questionable images of "beauty" slapped on these pages recently. I've had about all that I can take. Yes I'm talking to you , ROK ON! Or anyone else who cares to listen!

This is me salvaging this thread for the children with a real image of beauty!
    <snip>

No,no,no.
    My eyes,my eyes
    Fails on a few fronts-
    Scratches on paintwork
    Beer mats don't match(one is even warped ffs)
    and worst of all the one on the right is not facing the camera properly.

Can we get a Mod to remove this immediately?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

There is a big difference between 70s and 80s frames and style of frames. Please clarify.

I didn't know there was a difference between them. I thought the 70s and 80s frames were all the same. How do they differ?

I didn't know there was a difference between them. I thought the 70s and 80s frames were all the same. How do they differ?

One is a decade crapper or less crap than the other. You decide. Both are correct.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Just cos they're your Guinness doesn't make them good Guinness.

Just cos they're your Guinness doesn't make them good Guinness.

I can assure you that they are amongst the creamiest pints that are known to man.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,136 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Quoting massive (off-topic) images is moving the thread well away from it's original purpose. It's bad enough when the thread is getting hijacked with off-topic stuff in the first place - we have a separate thread for that - this one is dedicated to cycling equipment/gear

As a general rule, please don't quote images unless absolutely necessary

Thanks

tumblr_mwlrywxvfA1qkzgwco1_1280.jpg

xfgk.jpg

7yug.jpg

vel-imp-2.JPG

tg58.jpg

t5ncar.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

New chainset fitted. Currently @ 7.6kg should easily drop another few gram once i put back on the good wheelset.

afc6ea.jpg

5659539534_503eed3242_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Are those reflective sidewalls on the tyres? That's gotta be a fail.

(lets not talk about that seat tube junction)

Lumen wrote: »
    Are those reflective sidewalls on the tyres? That's gotta be a fail.

(lets not talk about that seat tube junction)

Hmm, yes seat tube, but they look like old Tufo tubs rather than reflective sidewalls.

Hmm, yes seat tube, but they look like old Tufo tubs rather than reflective sidewalls.
    OK, I'll take your word for it. It's a GT Edge Titanium 1 apparently.

The bidons are too big though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

2rde148.jpg

It's not as immaculate as I would like it but it's ok. Going to be build up with campag record of course and my beloved PlanetX after around 20k kms is going to be retired.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

What's the weight Astra?

Lumen wrote: »
    OK, I'll take your word for it. It's a GT Edge Titanium 1 apparently.

The bidons are too big though.

Have always liked the GT seat stay arrangement tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

What's the weight Astra?

As it stands with headset, seatpost, seatpost collar is at 2400. It's not light so I hope the name and the frame make up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭happytramp

One of my favrouite bikes of all time.

de00d968-a83d-46e9-a5e6-9348b3366f36_zps71bc6078.jpg?t=1385460557

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭letape

My take on the above:

image_zpsb8a3e287.jpg

image_zps08be1fdd.jpg

letape, have you considered using a skinnier stem? It seems a bit out of proportion with the tubing and seatpost. </nitpick>

Is this better?

I'm considering rebuilding it with early 90s C-Record / first generation ergopower and deltas. That or else buy an older cheaper frame for that build.

image_zpsb178c378.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

It would look nice with a quill stem and a retro group

• Advertisement

It would look nice with a quill stem and a retro group

I like the way the bike feels as it is currently built so part of me would like to leave it as it is. On the other hand I have most of what I need to rebuild it and it would be interesting to ride it with period parts.

Advertisement