Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post images of beauty (quote pics sparingly) - see Mod warnings in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Jude13 wrote: »
    Dont think the bars will be cut at the cables go through them.

cables are easily shortened. unless your mate has arms like a gorilla the reach on those bars seems very long. could just be the picture though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Here is one for Rok On

y7u8ymen.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

$_57.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

13525045564_6dd1730d1a_b.jpg

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Let's get back on topic:

i love the bike, i'm just not so sure about the colour choice for the tires

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭letape

mossym wrote: »
    i love the bike, i'm just not so sure about the colour choice for the tires

Personally I think that the wheel / tyre (Veloflex masters) combination is great. I have the same myself. Black tyres are fine but we could do without them on every bike!

ridley-noah-1.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

ridley-noah-1.jpg

Wait..... what's that bike leaning against??

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

letape wrote: »
    Personally I think that the wheel / tyre (Veloflex masters) combination is great. I have the same myself. Black tyres are fine but we could do without them on every bike!

i like those tires, on the bottecchia posted afterwards i think that style works perfectly, just not on the colnago

Brian? wrote: »

It's not. You can see hand in top left corner, where a holder has quickly let it go for the photo, only to grab it again before it falls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

I think the mysterious hand at top left of pic was holding it and let go :pac:

Edit: I've to read all the posts before I reply...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

You can see the shadow of the hand that is holding it. They forgot to edit that bit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

@ Astra

Thanks. Some day I will treat myself to a high end bike. The only manufacturer that I would consider is Colnago.
    Most likely a Master X Light.
    The overwhelming majority of bikes on this thread are far from beauty's. Happily there are people of class that post the occasional picture.
    To the Astras and HarryBs of this thread, thank you and keep up the good work.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    You can see the shadow of the hand that is holding it. They forgot to edit that bit...

You can see the hand.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

<massive quoted image snipped>

I know re quoting pics and all that but this bike is better than sex...

RobFowl wrote: »

Not convinced by its chorus groupset

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Then you need to find another sport ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

I'm not convinced by its prescence in the thread at all based on its impression visually, but then again I'm not a retro fan in any way at all so it may just be lost on me...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You may need to find a new partner. ;)

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭denbatt

this bike is better than sex...

Maybe your doing it wrong? ;)

• Advertisement

the lines, the colours, the contrast of the darker colours versus the lighter, the obvious painstaking care and love that went into hand building that work of art.

now if someone would just get the bike out of the way so we cna admire the wall more we'd be sorted.

i jest of course, love the bike. not sure i'd rank it quite that high though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Be even better if the saddle was white!

Then you need to find another sport ;)

I had that same chorus groupset myself in the early 90s - on my training bike :-)

I just think that a frame like that to make it special deserves a c record groupset.

We should probably have a thread for bikes more than three years old, for people that have been in the sport for more than three years to admire!

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

We should probably have a thread for bikes more than three years old, for people that have been in the sport for more than three years to admire!

I definitely fall into that category, not ashamed to admit it. I like what I like and the older bikes just aren't it but let's not segregate older bikes into a separate thread. Just because I or others say it's not beautiful shouldn't make it any less beautiful to you or anyone who thinks it it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

tonite I was coming back from a beautiful cycle. I saw a guy ahead so I cruised up to his wheel. We swapped a few turns.

His bike was breathtaking.
    Red steelframe Cinelli with downtube shifters and chrome forks and chainstays.
    Finished off with a modern set of Mavic Ksyrium SLRs with red rims matching the bike.

I don't a a picture, just an image in my head of the most beautiful bike that I have ever seen in the flesh. The dude said it was from 1980.

I dint know if he comes by here at all.
    Sir if you do post a picture of your bike.

You win the thread.

Beasty wrote: »
    Last edited by Beasty; Today at 19:38. Reason: Not such a cunning plan now, eh Rob?

hC3F11345

You may need to find a new partner. ;)

Woo Hoo, PM me your number......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

HarryB's last two photos demonstrate perfectly how bike design has moved from the beautiful to the beastly in a few short decades. The Bottecchia is an absolute classic, a high point in an aesthetic evolution that developed over thirty or more years. The Ridley on the other hand is a souped up frame on steroids with wheels that frankly look gross. Maybe in twenty years carbon bike design will reach the same heights that steel was at in the 80s. It may be lighter, it may be stiffer but it has an awful long way to go.
    Just saying!

• Advertisement

HarryB's last two photos demonstrate perfectly how bike design has moved from the beautiful to the beastly in a few short decades. The Bottecchia is an absolute classic, a high point in an aesthetic evolution that developed over thirty or more years. The Ridley on the other hand is a souped up frame on steroids with wheels that frankly look gross. Maybe in twenty years carbon bike design will reach the same heights that steel was at in the 80s. It may be lighter, it may be stiffer but it has an awful long way to go.
    Just saying!

But this is the conservative take on it. Design can't plateau. Bike design and car design have gone a similar way ~ the general populace way. Look at our current mainstream selection of cars/bikes for the general public ~ bland, safe and "Do you have it in silver?"

A vast majority of posts that contain reader's wives in this thread are the bicycle version of Ford Mondeos... Or maybe they're Skoda Octavias. I'm not sure, there's only a slight difference.

Boring, boring, boring. And why are they boring? Cos the general populace are boring and they were the ones asked by manufacturers unwilling to take risks about what they liked and had what they liked built for them. Pininfarina, Bertone etc are either going out of business or gone. Design that pushed limits is gone. The public get to vote on what they want cars to look like and that's how we find ourselves at this point.

However, things are changing and Citroen and Alfa and Fiat and a few others are starting to experiment again. The public mindset will change and more options available means the public have to make aesthetic choices and we'll slowly see more exciting designs and a greater public appetite for them.

Bike design IMHO will work the same way. Fine, you don't like the Ridley, I do. Maybe you don't like the Aventador either. I do. But I also like the Lancia Stratos, the Fulvia, the Saab 99 etc. The very things you don't like about the Ridley are what I do like. But what could we both say about a lower end Felt or Giant... Not much, there has to be an element of design there to critique in the first place. We shouldn't built carbon versions of 80s steel, it's of an era of its own, but we need to built exciting carbon bikes. NO to sloping down tubes I say!

I'll post a pic later to compensate for all the text.

Advertisement