Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post images of beauty (quote pics sparingly) - see Mod warnings in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Oh, controversial?

Is it from that Tron movie?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Wtf is with the seatpost and saddle?

And pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Colnago art.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Lumen wrote: »
    Beauty in design is not about pure aesthetics (e.g. "which colour handbag?") it's about balance, proportions and appropriateness. I know that a plastic frame allows an aero design, and that an aero design makes me 0.1% faster or whatever, but it's still not pleasing because the pleasure of cycling is not really about the extra 0.1%, except in the very narrow discipline of competitive time trialling.

I also believe there is beauty in function. This is why I appreciate modern bikes and components. At the same time, I love old school. I started racing on a Raleigh 501 frame. Graduated to 531c. That was a long time ago! Now my race bikes are made from carbon fiber. Good CF frames exhibit fantastic handling and comfort. They don't twist under load like my old Raleigh 501 that used to 'auto-shift' due to the bottom bracket flexing so much. Give me function any day!

Having said that, massive logos (Enve, Ridley, Zipp,...) do nothing for me. Worst of all, trying too hard (Ridley, Pinarello) is an unfortunate level of ugly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

dave2pvd wrote: »
    I started racing on a Raleigh 501 frame. Graduated to 531c. .
    Started on a Raleigh winner !
    First open race on 501, 531c felt like a rocket after that.
    In fact same bike still going strong (with a mate) 25 years on.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

RobFowl wrote: »
    Started on a Raleigh winner !
    First open race on 501, 531c felt like a rocket after that.
    In fact same bike still going strong (with a mate) 25 years on.......

531c was SO much stiffer and lighter than gas pipe 501. My 501 was an off-the-peg bought in Joe Daly's. The 531c was a Raleigh Road Ace - light blue and white. This frame:

DSC01179.jpg

It's career ended in a crash at at Bohermeen. The rider broke his arm. Me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

531c was SO much stiffer and lighter than gas pipe 501. My 501 was an off-the-peg bought in Joe Daly's. The 531c was a Raleigh Road Ace - light blue and white. This frame:

It's career ended in a crash at at Bohermeen. The rider broke his arm. Me.

My 501 was a resprayed one bought in Rutlands cycles, the 531c a Raleigh deluxe got in Hardings on the quays.

Bohermeen has a lot to answer for !! I left 5 teeth and a good chunk of my face on the tarmac there as well as getting a broken arm....

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,136 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

May give Bohermeen a miss this year ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭omri

How much these Baums sell for?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

omri wrote: »

they're not cheap anyway, every frame made and painted to order. $7.5 K aus for the top end frame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

omri wrote: »

..and each Enve rim is ~US$1k I think - gotta add spokes and hubs to that :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Mechanic365

10247193_638228202910896_787971517_n.jpg?dl=1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The 531c was a Raleigh Road Ace - light blue and white.

I'd a Road Ace back in the 80's. Great bike.

The biggest mistake I made with the bike was selling it.

Stupid car's fault.:mad:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Seweryn, a year or so on, can I ask how you are finding this? I dream of owning one of these...

Seweryn wrote: »
    I am now leaving home and taking this beauty on my commute to test it properly. Can't wait :).

8797909014_1e081a3595_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

^How fast is "leaf speed"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

fall.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

my new little bit of beauty
    Planet x rt58
    Full 11sp Ultegra
    Shimano Rs61 wheelset
    imagejpg2_zpsc5a6c7fd.jpg

20140409_145533_zpsd71a1e1e.jpg

DSCF2457_zpsf35f021d.jpg

imagejpg1_zps8347f442.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

1ca562c0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Mechanic365

Lucifer-0 wrote: »
    1ca562c0.jpg

Get with the times :D
    krone%20big%20M.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Lucifer-0 wrote: »
    1ca562c0.jpg

Lol you guys noticed everything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭Ryath

Scrappy600 wrote: »
    my new little bit of beauty
    Planet x rt58
    Full 11sp Ultegra
    Shimano Rs61 wheelset

Very nice scrappy looks better than the pics on Planet X site or the white and green one in Athlone. Worked out well with the upgrade to full ultegra.

Finally got my RT57 frame of them yesterday. Didn't get chance to weigh or take pics though as it was my only chance to drop it over to my LBS who are building it with Force 22 for me. May be while before I have it built though want Fizik finishing kit and the seatpost is out of stock every where at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

Ryath wrote: »
    Very nice scrappy looks better than the pics on Planet X site or the white and green one in Athlone. Worked out well with the upgrade to full ultegra.

Finally got my RT57 frame of them yesterday. Didn't get chance to weigh or take pics though as it was my only chance to drop it over to my LBS who are building it with Force 22 for me. May be while before I have it built though want Fizik finishing kit and the seatpost is out of stock every where at the minute.

It was always meant to be full 11spd ultegra that's a major part of what swung me towards it. The upgrade was that it was supposed to be an rt57 but they lost mine and upgraded me to rt58 and rs61 wheels because of it. Worth the wait and the hassle, can't ask fairer than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

So which would you prefer - classic or modern:

Colnago-saronni.jpg

colnago-master.jpg

I think they are both gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Modern colnagos, even the lugged carbon ones, look retro enough for the sentimental folk, including myself. Its exception from the rule though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

lennymc wrote: »

The modern stand is more secure and allows you to work on the drive train.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

That old Colnago is stunning. *slurp*

The modern one is a good looking bike but the deep sections don't look well on it i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

gadetra wrote: »
    The modern one is a good looking bike but the deep sections don't look well on it i think.
    I would put something like Enve Classic 25 or Token C28 clinchers on it, or maybe stick to alloy rims.

25-Clincher.jpgC28-wheelset.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭dots104

2014-02-22

New bike after its first spin out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

lennymc wrote: »

http://forallmyfriends.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/colnago-master.jpg
    !

This is truly a beautiful, beautiful bike. I love the Master frame with modern takes - Are newer Master frames different by virtue of the cable stops being high up the downtube instead of at the location where shifter bosses would be on the older 1980s Master frames?

In any case, I want one.............I know someone on here who has something very. very similar.

I'm a bit 'meh' on the wheels TBH (but would have them, thank you very much), and would agree that shallow section jobbies might be an improvement but the Ritchey stem and seatpost are a no-no for me. They are fine items, but not in keeping with the otherwise Italian theme.....

Beautiful, and worth quoting the pic again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    I'm a bit 'meh' on the wheels TBH (but would have them, thank you very much), and would agree that shallow section jobbies might be an improvement but the Ritchey stem and seatpost are a no-no for me. They are fine items, but not in keeping with the otherwise Italian theme.....
    Fulcrum (Campag) wheels, Deda finishing kit?

619225941_p5fjh-l-5.jpg

I saw a red MXL today in Dublin city centre. It was sweeeet.

Advertisement