Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post images of beauty (quote pics sparingly) - see Mod warnings in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭G2ECE

not yet wrote: »
    Can I get a lend of that off you for a few years...

Fraid not, I'm still in the drool phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

holy jesus carbon-fiber christ

10298692_10153176456604131_1988511916811917795_n.jpg?oh=cd192b93338e7ef28566eb1ecd73635a&oe=555CDDDC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

The only thing, I would change on that, would be the valve caps.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    The only thing, I would change on that, would be the valve caps.

good spot, also id prefer the old super record chain set if were getting picky

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

good spot, also id prefer the old super record chain set if were getting picky

The Garmin doesn't really match either..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭letape

colm18 wrote: »
    The Garmin doesn't really match either..

Not mad on the saddle myself! Otherwise pretty much perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I don't get the point of making something in carbon fibre and then covering it with metallic paint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 835 ✭✭✭countrykid

beautifully lacking in electronic shifting too...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Lumen wrote: »
    I don't get the point of making something in carbon fibre and then covering it with metallic paint.

Cover it in green paint instead maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Love them wheels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Agree with the above, except:
    old fashioned building (frame) material which is aesthetically pleasing but functionally deprecated

How about titanium and recent stainless steels? They still have advantages in certain applications over carbon.

[edit] where's Lumen post from above?

Alek wrote: »
    where's Lumen post from above?
    Sorry, the house construction analogy was well off-topic so I deleted it.
    How about titanium and recent stainless steels? They still have advantages in certain applications over carbon.
    I don't have any problem with any specific material, they're all good. It's purely about design aesthetics. Dressing up a plastic bike in metal paint seems incongruous to me.

I'm also ignoring Raam's attempt to drag my fugly green plastic commuter bike into this thread for a beating.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Dressing up a plastic bike in metal paint seems incongruous to me.

Cos It's sheen-ey. Simple. Metallic paint doesn't look particularly metal-y to me usually anyway. And sheen-y-Ness!

There are much prettier colnago's out there IMO.

think those metalic looking lugs are fairly limited edition anniversary C60 as evident by the silverly name plate on the top tube.. tbh, those lugs could be most colours on the bike and it would look sweet. i gotta admit for me, the lightweights really contribute to the drool factor.

It's purely about design aesthetics.

How about "real" material combinations - i.e. titanium lugs and carbon tubing? I honestly find the idea awesome.

SevenSide.jpg

IMG_1755-588x391.jpg

(not necessarily this. Different fork and wheels and it would have been so much better :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I'm with Lumen on the paint scheme. It puts me in mind of this:

231309116?$prod_main$

The cranks are an abomination and Lightweights look like something from a 90s video game with too few resources to render enough polygons.

How about "real" material combinations - i.e. titanium lugs and carbon tubing? I honestly find the idea awesome
    That's fine in theory. In practice I wonder whether there's any point in doing lugs other than "we haven't the skill to make a monocoque", and even if lugs are a good idea titanium seems an odd choice (I say this as someone waiting on a cracked titanium frame to be replaced). CNC aluminium might work better, but who wants alu on their fancy Italian bike? That's for poor people.

...and w.r.t. Lightweights (and lightweights)...these are the new Easton E100 tubs, 1,050g claimed.

38-IMG_4900-1020x738.jpg

In practice I wonder whether there's any point

Its irrelevant as long as we discuss aesthetics :pac: but personally I'd go for stainless steel lugs indeed :)
    (I say this as someone waiting on a cracked titanium frame to be replaced)

How long are you waiting? I believe you have mentioned this at least half a year ago?

How long are you waiting? I believe you have mentioned this at least half a year ago?
    I sent it off at the end of November. It's due "early Feb all being well", which I interpret to mean "some time in 2015".

It's the timeless aesthetic of titanium.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

How about "real" material combinations - i.e. titanium lugs and carbon tubing? I honestly find the idea awesome.

Merlin did that for a while. Then then figured out how to make carbon bikes, so they stopped. Questionable aesthetics aside, there's really no point to it.

You're not alone in liking it though. My Merlin Proteus has small Ti lugs and carbon tubing. It's basically the same geometry as their Ti bikes. Lovers of oldish bikes seem to quite like the look. I much prefer my Fuji Altamira, monocoque carbon fibre with varying tube sizes and a sloping geometry.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

My Merlin Proteus has small Ti lugs and carbon tubing.

Just googled it, looks great. But are they kind of bands for cable routing only, or rather structural elements of the frame? https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4084/5020897599_e8a2edc983_b.jpg

[edit] Merlin Cielo is a real gem in this respect

4134878204_c781703a1c.jpg

Just googled it, looks great. But are they kind of bands for cable routing only, or rather structural elements of the frame? https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4084/5020897599_e8a2edc983_b.jpg

They are indeed structural, or so I was told anyway. They are quite ornate as well:

D3815AD8-8D64-4FFA-B1E3-B7472BB890C0.jpg

A32332B1-17E1-4071-8B43-9D58598531F5.jpg

they/them/theirs

^^ are they not just very ornate cable guides?

^^ are they not just very ornate cable guides?

Nope, you see the one on the seat tube? They brace the carbon tubes together.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Enough of this Eye of the Beholder sh1t.

Back to the beauty

?format=1000w

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

^^^ Frame looks good but the wheels are wrong and wtf is that stem doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I love the red stem with the red stripe in the frame :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

IMG_5809_zpszsnmccwe.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

C60-Italia-RSBK.jpg
    Had a hands on look at the C60 frame in matte black today.Stunning frame...still drooling. Although given the choice I'd have taken the Colnago Master 30th anniversary frame hanging beside it.

Advertisement