Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post images of beauty (quote pics sparingly) - see Mod warnings in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I guess I need to go with 80mm as 90mm doesn't sound like enough of a difference from 110m.

I went from a 120mm stem to 100mm and that 20mm made a huge difference. You'd be surprised. If a LBS lets you fit n' try even better.
    FWIW, CSS told me that less than 90mm was not recommended due to effects on handling (making it twitchier/less stable).

Same reason I didn't want to go any lower.

Planet-X looks lovely in the blue. Nice ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Moreofthatjazz

i've been told a no. of ways to break and treat your brooks but the one that works for me is similar to that used for hiking boots, pop it in t'oven on low for a few minutes to heat up (alternatively leave it in a sunny place, but the flights might be a bit expensive ;) ) then with SnoSeal (a beeswax compound for waterproofing and softening/protecting hiking boots, available where boots for hiking be sold) copiously apply to the saddle till it will not soak up any more, boom-shaka-laka one proofed and protected saddle... i've ridden mine daily in all-weather conditions for two years and not a bother on it, water just runs off... one thing though, do not under any circumstances wear white pants, this has nothing to do with the saddle, just dont do it, its wrong... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭the magician

Hi,
    Some really nice bikes on these pages.
    Just got back into mtb in the past few weeks. Used to race downhill in the late 90's. Went up last week to 3 rock on my bro's hardtail, had a ball.
    This is what I built in the past 2 weeks. Not sure if I have to balls to race anymore but I'll probably give it a go.Feels really nice. Bought the frame and forks 2nd hand and the rest i got from ebay and chain reaction.
    Looking forward to my first spin on it hopefully on saturday.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Not sure about beauty but this is one of my bikes.
    picture028small.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Finished off the MTB a few days back. It's nothing special, used to use it as my run around for the rougher roads.
    scott.jpg
    Scott Volatage YZ2.
    Replaced Parts,
    Cane Creek S3 Headset,
    Marzocchi MX Comp Air 105mm,
    UFO Rims laced to M525 hubs,
    Cable, chainraings, cassette, grips, etc,
    Seat Clamp,
    M324 Pedals Single Sided Pedals,
    Avid Single Digit 5 Brakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

my steed for the An Post Gorey 3 Day. its proper filthy now, but looked decent enough for the first 3 stages.

3217_72099279841_504989841_1782908_2899671_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jdt101

3442582122_b8fdcb0485.jpg?v=0

2008 Cervelo Soloist Carbon 54cm
    3T Funda Pro Fork
    Ultegra SL
    Campagnolo Shamal Ultra
    Pro3 Tyres
    Deda Newton Stem & Bars
    Garmin 705
    Zipp 404's to be added

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

My other bike - still short a few bits.
    Picture_031_Small.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭hynesie

My Focus Cayo 105 arrived on Friday. I love it!
    Thanks for answering all my questions during the buildup to the purchase.
    77756.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Nice one hynesie, great looking machine. just change the bottle cages.. they look awful :D

• Advertisement

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Nice one hynesie, great looking machine. just change the bottle cages.. they look awful :D
    True, they're all I had on friday though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭ratsam

Hermy... Thats one sweet Bike.... Post a pic of that when you are finished pllleeeaasssee...!

Rats

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Very nice indeed.

That's a pretty hardcore drop to the bars. If only I had your flexibility....

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

Hi,
    Some really nice bikes on these pages.
    Just got back into mtb in the past few weeks. Used to race downhill in the late 90's. Went up last week to 3 rock on my bro's hardtail, had a ball.
    This is what I built in the past 2 weeks. Not sure if I have to balls to race anymore but I'll probably give it a go.Feels really nice. Bought the frame and forks 2nd hand and the rest i got from ebay and chain reaction.
    Looking forward to my first spin on it hopefully on saturday.
    :eek: Wow...that is sweet. Can i ask where you sourced the frame from.?
    Is that an E13 bash guard/chain device?

Lumen wrote: »
    That's a pretty hardcore drop to the bars. If only I had your flexibility....
    It was the same on my old Trek 1000, so I'm used to it by now. At the start I struggled with the drop on the Trek, but I gradually got used to it the more I went out.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭the magician

:eek: Wow...that is sweet. Can i ask where you sourced the frame from.?
    Is that an E13 bash guard/chain device?

Thanks took it out for the first time last week, really happy with it. Got the frame through the classifieds on www.mtbrider.com.

the chain device is a mr. dirt copy of an mrp. works pretty well bit fiddly to set up but it was on sale on chain reaction for about 30 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

Thanks took it out for the first time last week, really happy with it. Got the frame through the classifieds on www.mtbrider.com.

the chain device is a mr. dirt copy of an mrp. works pretty well bit fiddly to set up but it was on sale on chain reaction for about 30 quid.

Nice. I'm thinking about building a low cost DH/Freeride bike. Probably go with the Freeride style with a good quality 5/6-inch single crown on the front, I'd like to be able to still ride XC with it, but be able to bomb DH if needed. Was thinking of a cove frame, but they're super expensive.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

This year's pic of my Wilier. Few changes from last year's:

3465476593_b4abc8f130_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamnn, that's a nice bike. Very cohesive. Even the cages synch.

What have you changed, aside from the wheels?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

niceonetom wrote: »
    What have you changed, aside from the wheels?

Groupset and saddle.

• Advertisement

Does it go up to 11 now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Does it go up to 11 now?

It does indeed -'tis mighty impressive

Does it go up to 11 now?

It does indeed. So I'll be selling the 10 speed stuff once I get around to repairing one of the shifters.

Is your new baby built yet Tom?

And Tiny, surely Pinkie needs to feature in this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

That's a mighty fine looking bike,do you race with those wheels?,and will you be doing the club league on it tomorrow evening?.

Considering the alleged price of the new gruppo you stand to make a profit then. Right?

Exactly how accidental was that broken shifter anyway... some men will go to great lengths to satisfy their ungraditis.

bunnygreen wrote: »
    That's a mighty fine looking bike,do you race with those wheels?,and will you be doing the club league on it tomorrow evening?.

I plan on being out tomorrow evening alright bunny, work permitting. You must introduce yourself.

The wheels are for racing, but I've only raced a TT on them so far this year. Rest of the races I've done have been on clinchers.

My new whip is built and has been road tested with very satisfactory results. I am a total convert to carbon.

Pics will be forthcoming when it's finished. I can tell from your bike that you appreciate the importance of getting the details just so.

Considering the alleged price of the new gruppo you stand to make a profit then. Right?

Exactly how accidental was that broken shifter anyway... some men will go to great lengths to satisfy their ungraditis.

If you heard the weeping and gnashing of teeth when it happened you'll know it was accidental.

I'll stick it up on adverts, but you never know what demand will be like.

The price for the new group was low enough because I've kept the 10 speed cranks for the moment and didn't need to change the brakes.

If you heard the weeping and gnashing of teeth when it happened you'll know it was accidental.

Have you considered the possibility that your desire for an extra cog was so strong that it bypassed your rational decision making processes and arranged this "accident"? The subconscious mind, it's a devious bastard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

@Tonto/Mario/whatever:
    Beauty, absolute beauty. Wilier looks great. Yours is the Mortirolo, right?

I am in the mkt for a new bike and I really like the idea of buying something that are not that common (so no Treks/Giantsetc).
    Anyway, just to pick your brains why did you go for a Wilier, and are there any stockists here apart from cyclesurgery.

Advertisement