Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post images of beauty (quote pics sparingly) - see Mod warnings in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭koutoubia

letape wrote: »
    Lovely frame Joey100 - best of luck with it... it’s calling out for campagnolo record to match the wheels though!
    I Have tried to talk him out of it...but no listening!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

blH4HZr.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

koutoubia wrote: »
    I Have tried to talk him out of it...but no listening!
    I agree with Joey, Shimano for the win. More reliable and better looking. That's it folks, that's the hill I am willing to die on.
    Campag relies on name and snobbery for an inferior product, there, I said it, and deep down, somewhere dark where you don't like to go, you know I'm right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Plastik wrote: »
    blH4HZr.jpg

Rim brakes and external cables and it's still awesome!

CramCycle wrote: »
    I agree with Joey, Shimano for the win. More reliable and better looking. That's it folks, that's the hill I am willing to die on.
    Campag relies on name and snobbery for an inferior product, there, I said it, and deep down, somewhere dark where you don't like to go, you know I'm right.

I'll die with you on that hill. Only rode a bike with campagnolo shifters once and never again. Shifting in the drops was great not so much on the hoods. You want me to do what with my thumbs?

• Advertisement

Imagine that Basso with Shimano? No neither could I. I certainly wouldn't have gone to the bother of posting it anyway.

Campag FTW. The thumb shifters are a fantastic design. You can shift from the hoods, the drops, and the tops with your baby finger. A superb tactile mechanical rifle bolt shift. I took DA9000 off a bike last year and the shifting was superb on that too, but almost too light in its action, wasn't tactile enough for me. Give me the ergonomics and serviceability of the Campag shifters above any of the rest!

Imagine that Basso with Shimano? No neither could I. I certainly wouldn't have gone to the bother of posting it anyway.
    Really? the new Campag 12 speed may as well have had their designers try and rip off/blend Shimano/Sram in regards the cranks. At least their old stuff tried to be Campag like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i sat across one of the van rysels up in decathlon a few months back - about 3k asking price, but i don't remember which groupset. potenza, maybe?
    anyway, the levers/shifters felt horribly flimsy.

Hey! I'm not here to convert atheists into believers! ;)

On product quality, you don't have to go very far online, or probably in your wider circle of friends to find someone who has suffered catastrophic crank failure with their 4-arm Ultegra or Dura Ace bonded hollow cranks. On product innovation, I think SRAM are miles ahead of both of the other main players with their wireless stuff. It took Campag an age to bring out a disc groupset. Shimano are still stuck on 11 speed while Campag and SRAM have moved to 12. On aesthetics, they all have their ugly ducking parts in their ranges!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

speaking of which, i've often wondered why they don't manufacture (or allow someone else to manufacture under licence) old discontinued groupsets, or parts for them. not enough of a demand, i suspect.

• Advertisement

speaking of which, i've often wondered why they don't manufacture (or allow someone else to manufacture under licence) old discontinued groupsets, or parts for them. not enough of a demand, i suspect.

Only two reasons I can think of is that it might dilute the products legacy. It is only cost effective if you give them all the details and don't oversee it which could also damage the brand if not good enough quality. Also the cost they would charge, if its too much there is not enough of a market and if its cheap, you run the risk of a load of people buying it for cheap builds, which also damages your brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

joey100 wrote: »
    New frameset arrived yesterday, think it deserves to go into this thread.

With the Bora One 50's I picked up earlier in the year on it.

Just waiting now for Shimano to sort out their groupset production and it will be on the road.

The colour of that Pinarello is savage, love the shape of the frame too. Of course, bonus points for Campag wheels.

Hey! I'm not here to convert atheists into believers! ;)
    so you're *not* a Plastik Jesus?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭violator13

Proper bike ...
    Would have that over ANYTHING modern

I like the old cervelos . Proper light weight

Seen this.. nice ,not sure if it’s worth it mind.

https://www.adverts.ie/23671709

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

violator13 wrote: »
    I like the old cervelos . Proper light weight

Seen this.. nice ,not sure if it’s worth it mind.

https://www.adverts.ie/23671709

Seller is a Boardsie isn't he? That bike has been for sale a frightfully long time. Never understood why it didn't sell. A new R5 with top wheels and dura ace is going to cost you 10 grand today. Back in 2012 that R5 was a 6 grand bike in that spec. If it's mint is it worth 1600 euro? All frickin day it is!! Go into any bike shop and see what 1600 gets you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭violator13

fat bloke wrote: »
    Seller is a Boardsie isn't he? That bike has been for sale a frightfully long time. Never understood why it didn't sell. A new R5 with top wheels and dura ace is going to cost you 10 grand today. Back in 2012 that R5 was a 6 grand bike in that spec. If it's mint is it worth 1600 euro? All frickin day it is!! Go into any bike shop and see what 1600 gets you :)

Yeah it seems so , something is only worth what someone will pay for it . If it’s still for sale at that price in 6 months .. well..

Do carbon frames deteriorate over time with big miles ? I often wonder are well worn bikes worth the gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭koutoubia

CramCycle wrote: »
    and deep down, somewhere dark where you don't like to go, you know I'm right.

I have been to many dark places in my mind and always in those dark places is occupied by shimano.
    When I come back into the light its always Tullio's legacy that greets me back.

And to the poster who states that they cant use their thumbs to press lever ...when the webbing dissappears from between your fingers you wont believe what you wil be able to do!

violator13 wrote: »
    Yeah it seems so , something is only worth what someone will pay for it . If it’s still for sale at that price in 6 months .. well..

Do carbon frames deteriorate over time with big miles ? I often wonder are well worn bikes worth the gamble.

I don't think there are big miles on that at all. In fact the same seller has had two almost identical R5's for sale, or at least almost identical adverts up. I never figurered out if it was the same bike with different bar tape and chainsets or two different bikes. Either way I don't think the mileage is big, and especially if the riding was divvied up between two identical steeds.

I also don't place any credence in that ol' tale that carbon disintegrates over time, though I don't mind its proliferation if it means bargain second hand top end framesets for me :)

To get back to posting images of beauty, or at least in the eye of this beholder :

IMG-20210509-212439.jpg

At this stage I've bought my daughters more bikes than they've cycled kilometres, but you'd never know this just might serve a purpose over the summer, fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

A proper Boards bike at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Bluejohn1

First build! Pretty happy with the results and it rides great. Felt like a proper ejit at times when building it. Great learning experience though.
    3ypDHQ6
    SmcCSSG

IMG-6022.jpg
    IMG-5988.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Not a great pic, but picked up this frame during the week to replace my dead Guerciotti. It's a beaut.

Everything on it as belonged to a boardsie at some point except the bottle cages, bar and stem

554983.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭onthefringe

Weepsie wrote: »
    Not a great pic, but picked up this frame during the week to replace my dead Guerciotti. It's a beaut.

Everything on it as belonged to a boardsie at some point except the bottle cages, bar and stem

554983.jpg

Absolute beaut

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Get that stack of spacers out of this thread :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

eeeee wrote: »
    Get that stack of spacers out of this thread :P

I took one out and all.

Wait til the argon 18 is built. It's fairly slammed, maybe 20mm at most

I should also have used the garden as a backdrop, given that it's coming along nicely thanks to.my wife. I'm merely the digger

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭comete

Love a volare, have one myself (please ignore temporary 5700 crank)

51223349302_1bab2692eb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

^^^
    Just for the team presentation I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

New Bike Day.

Went with a slightly customized paint scheme using the Bianchi configurator.

Running Zipp 353 NSW's with Pirelli P-Zero Race TCR 28mm's instead of stock Fulchrum 4DB's with 25mm Rubino Pros
    Bars are the newer 2022 Vision Metron ACR's
    Chain is KMC DLC Celeste
    Tape is Supacaz Sticky Kush Celeste, though I will probably re-tape them as spotted a couple of errors the mechanic made.
    Cages are Tacx Ciro gloss Celeste

Need to get flexibility back, proper fit and then some spacers will come out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Beautiful. Funky chain too!

Advertisement