Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post images of beauty (quote pics sparingly) - see Mod warnings in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Right here we go a genuine contender to the dark prince
    Orbea orca with full campagnolo record and controtech carbon finishing kit with matching carbon tubular wheelset and matching carbon crankset. It is not an entirely weight weenie build but i decided to sacrifice some weight for aesthetics's and to keep the look uniform.
    As can be seen on the scales comes in at 6.24kg so no complaints on that front.(even allowing for the obligatory computer sausage)
    2rro26q.jpg
    1oum4x.jpg

1zv33pi.jpg

2dt2b6d.jpg

358x553.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

After that Orbea it will not show as good but anyway :p

Well here she is and she weights 7.45kgs. Before i show the pics i would like to thanks TinyExplosions for all his kind help to get this project over, i couldn't have done without you mate :) Also a big thanks to all of you that helped me in the process of deciding what to put on the bike and lastly thanks to Dave from Joe Daly that made this ride sooooo smoothly (and really cheap too, i had to buy something because i was not feeling very good :p). When i took it, i felt intimidated, it felt so light, so fragile, so beautiful! In the first 300m i had to make a quick manoeuvre to avoid a pothole and i almost ended in the pavement! It was so fast to understand the change of the route that i was almost scared. Every little effort that i put on the pedals, i can feel that it goes out as raw power. It is also so comfortable! I think i am in love!

Well enough talking.. here she is :

IMG_0703.jpg
    IMG_0714.jpg

And some details:

IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0712.jpg

IMG_0713.jpg

IMG_0717.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

It's so much better bike than i can justify, so that means i have to try really hard not to be overtaken by everyone :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Didn't realise how good looking the centaur grouppo is. I have the new dura ace and TBH it is ugly in comparison :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

nice touch with the campi sticker on the frame too!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Beautiful bike AstraMonti and I don't normally like 'eye candy' ;)
    Do it proud.

DFD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

Astra, that truly is a thing of beauty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

Hey cunavalos,my man,that is a beauty,i,m aiming for an Orbea later on in the year,well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Hey Astra, sweet bike !! .... and nicely understated looks, well done.

Campag Centaur Carbon is da biz !!

Whats the name of those FSA bars ? They've got a great shape, level on the tops, and nice smooth bend, none of that anatomical BS, I'm changing mine and your ones seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.

Murph100 wrote: »
    Hey Astra, sweet bike !! .... and nicely understated looks, well done.

Campag Centaur Carbon is da biz !!

Whats the name of those FSA bars ? They've got a great shape, level on the tops, and nice smooth bend, none of that anatomical BS, I'm changing mine and your ones seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.
    Cheers, thanks :)

Those are the bars. Cheap, carbon, good looking and light!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Lovely bike. I'm an owner of a black Planet-X and I'm the first to admit it's ordinary-looking, but the white looks great.

Your cranks: are they a bit scuffed or is that just plastic film covering them? (It's the close-up photo showing the Time pedal I'm referring to.)
    AstraMonti wrote: »
    Cheers, thanks :)

Those are the bars. Cheap, carbon, good looking and light!

• Advertisement

Lovely bike. I'm an owner of a black Planet-X and I'm the first to admit it's ordinary-looking, but the white looks great.

Your cranks: are they a bit scuffed or is that just plastic film covering them? (It's the close-up photo showing the Time pedal I'm referring to.)

Thanks :) No the picture is just bad (and out of focus), the cranks look great actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

i'd say that's just the thread of the carbon... or whatever the correct word for that is.

love that centaur groupo. im in the process of saving for it. beautiful build

• Registered Users Posts: 31,064 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That's Unidirectional Carbon Fibre, that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Well, here's my new steed :)

I've never uploaded pics before, so apologies in advance for the likely balls up. Here's the first 5...

And here's the final few...

Very nice, I like the paint scheme. Are you keeping the hybrid for commuting duties?

I think I will, but it will be hard. I moved the Sirrus last night and nearly popped my shoulder out with the weight of it :D

I'll commute for a few weeks on the new one anyway to get a nice feel for it, but I suppose in and out of work on the relative boneshaker will be good training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭omri

And here's the final few...

The 2speed version which I am a happy owner of has FSA cranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

cunavalos wrote: »
    Right here we go a genuine contender to the dark prince
    Orbea orca with full campagnolo record and controtech carbon finishing kit with matching carbon tubular wheelset and matching carbon crankset. It is not an entirely weight weenie build but i decided to sacrifice some weight for aesthetics's and to keep the look uniform.
    As can be seen on the scales comes in at 6.24kg so no complaints on that front.(even allowing for the obligatory computer sausage)
    2rro26q.jpg
    My god that is unbelievable looking, and astonishingly light! Whoa :eek: 6.24kg!!! Any tips for me on how to make my one more like yours?

My Orbea Orca is around 7.35kg at the moment (I'll have a better idea when I get my €4.08 scales off eBay), and I put a quick post on WeightWeenies here (should probably post up some of the pics here when I get a chance!) to get some advice on how to bring it closer to the 6.8kg mark. I think I will follow the advice of "c50jim":
    I know that it's heresy to say it on this site but your bike isn't really porky. I spent an afternoon weighing bikes at a hillclimb last week and your bike would have been one of the lighter ones. As a junior, there are better places to put your money, such as a coach, if you don't have one.

If you like the lighter saddles, go for one of them. If you prefer other pedals to the Shimano ones, go for that too (although you could also upgrade within the Shimano line and save some weight). If you're racing, I'd stick with standard group parts for the most part.

Enjoy the bike. It looks great.
    It is lighter than most bikes as it is and over time I might upgrade skewers, saddle and pedals. When the time comes and things get a bit more serious, I'll think about a lighter wheelset. Those superlightweight components (brakes, cranksets etc) are supposed to be not up to the standard of more common bits like Dura Ace for racing when it comes to durability and performance, despite the hefty price tag and reduced weights!

After that Orbea it will not show as good but anyway :p

Well here she is and she weights 7.45kgs.

You are right, that Orbea looks unbelievable and the photos of your bike afterwards just don't do it justice! It is also a lovely bike, and I wish you the best of luck with it. A very decent weight for a bike at this price!

Hi there! Nice bike....good luck with it. I hope you don't mind me saying this, but it looks here like your saddle is a bit out of alignment. You might prefer it like this, or else it is just the picture but I don't want you to hurt yourself down there on your first ride. Hehe :D

I hope you don't mind me saying this, but it looks here like your saddle is a bit out of alignment. You might prefer it like this, or else it is just the picture but I don't want you to hurt yourself down there on your first ride. Hehe :D

Yep - I'm a bit of a leftie :D

Only joking. I think it's OK and it's just a bit of a hokey camera angle, but I'll certainly investigate a bit closer before I take it home tonight. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭bosra

Hi Irishmotorist
    I am contemplating getting a focus cayo myself...Looking to get my first road bike asap..want to make the most of the summer evenings etc.I have read some reviews of people being let down by the raw carbon finish..What is the paint job like to you..how does the bike feel to ride? cheers for info..would appreciate any other pics u may have of it too :)
    Looks beautiful..and good luck with it too

Right, here is a few pictures of my bike as it is right now (it's not complete yet!). As I said already, I am getting the advice of the weight weenie experts in my thread on their website.

However, now I think it is as light a bike as I need for the moment. I might just finish it off nicely with some pedals, skewers and saddle. Nothing too expensive right now, when things get more serious I might think about lighter wheelsets, cranksets etc.

One thing I would like to do is get some nice Corima decals/stickers for my wheels which I think look quite shabby at the moment. Where do ye usually get them from? I got a price off of Corima themselves for €46 including shipping. I saw some really nice ones here on Obosticker.com but I have no idea of how to order them or even contact them for that matter (not even an email address to be seen!). They say that a set of 8 (2 for each side of each wheel) for a Corima medium is €35 on the tariffs page. Finally, I came across these on eBay.fr for €35 including shipping. Not bad really if they look anything like these (Obosticker ones) in real life! The other ones I thought were quite nice were these ones (Obosticker again!)

So, a quick photoshop job and I came up with the following to try and work out which colour theme combination looks best! I'm sad I know but I had nothing else better to do so here we are! Let me know which you think suits best...they are only quick attempts but will hopefully give you a rough idea. Use your imagination to turn them into reality! Haha, good luck. I also threw on a White Fizik Arione to see what it would look like, here is the set of photos as seen below. Thanks in advance for your help, I genuinely really appreciate it. Cheers!

Just so you can make a comparison, the bike looks like this right now (before any Photoshopping of tyres, saddles or wheels!)

3675196214_d1b9aa920d_o.jpg
    3675196342_c80d367fe8_o.jpg
    3675196610_0c076b75d1_o.jpg
    3675288798_0fd41ac9e4_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

If you want light skewers, these at 20 quid are a bargain. Ti and only 89g :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If you really feel you must I would go with the just black and white ones to best match the bike. The white saddle would look good on that bike.

bosra wrote: »
    Hi Irishmotorist
    I am contemplating getting a focus cayo myself...Looking to get my first road bike asap..want to make the most of the summer evenings etc.I have read some reviews of people being let down by the raw carbon finish..What is the paint job like to you..how does the bike feel to ride? cheers for info..would appreciate any other pics u may have of it too :)
    Looks beautiful..and good luck with it too

I saw some of those comments about the finish and I see what they mean, but I think it looks nice. If you look closely, it's kind of like marble - you can see some slight ripples in the black on the frame. It looks like a physical imperfection but feels perfect when you touch it. Personally, I like it but not having know about it and seen an explanation on some forum from a Wiggle tech, I might have been a bit curious about it.

To me, the ride is great. It feels so much more stable and reliable through corners than my sirrus and the general ride is just great. Comfortable and light and fast!

I don't have any more pictures of note....is there anything specific you'd like a shot of?

If you want light skewers, these at 20 quid are a bargain. Ti and only 89g :)

I had Controltech Ti Skewers (30g pair) on my "dream bike" spreadsheet until I read this.

One other thing....I had no idea how much of a difference the carbon frame would make to the comfort of the ride on the road. It really smooths out the big rattles and makes the roads that I've used so far nearly seem of good quality!

I bought these KCNC skewers only 44g the pair, not very cheap though.

and Home:Ballyhoura get the levers a bit more down!!

Home:Ballyhoura get the levers a bit more down!!

What do you mean by this, get the gear levers positioned a bit more down on the bars or is it something to do with the levers of the skewers? Which is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Picked up this Trek 6500 the other day hope to try out mountain biking in the next few weeks have to say i really like the paint jobs on the 2009 trek range

84036.jpg

Advertisement