Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post images of beauty (quote pics sparingly) - see Mod warnings in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Lumen wrote: »
    gman2k,

A couple of tweaks to the saddle, bars and steerer and it would look even better. :)

57c7776452f0f940deeb8cad4431b8ea.gif

classy!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 swarbrick1979

just got my first bike today and really stoked! going for my first ride in the morning!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

just got my first bike today and really stoked! going for my first ride in the morning!!!!
    is it pink ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭DJsail

Really your very first bike? Well great choice and good luck in the morning, hope your first ride isn't a commute to work though?

no caroline ie, its red, took the pics with my mobile and it came out pink! lol

• Advertisement

no caroline ie, its red, took the pics with my mobile and it came out pink! lol
    Too bad, i thought it looked great in pink :P

You are new so you need to be told: remove the pie plate behind the cassette before the Euro police arrests you and make you take it off with your teeth... and maybe move your bottle cage to the other side, it's easier to grab if you only have one. :P

Too bad, i thought it looked great in pink :P

You are new so you need to be told: remove the pie plate behind the cassette before the Euro police arrests you and make you take it off with your teeth... and maybe move your bottle cage to the other side, it's easier to grab if you only have one. :P

thanks Caroline, getting the second bottle cage tomorrow, WHAT is a pie plate? beginner here.

Star+Tracks_+Friday,+March+6,+2009+-+SPIN+CYCLE+-+Jake+Gyllenhaal+_+People.com.jpg
    THe pie plate is the plastic behind the cassette

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

thanks Caroline, getting the second bottle cage tomorrow, WHAT is a pie plate? beginner here.

It's the plastic disk between the rear cassette and the wheel. It's there to stop the chain hitting the spokes. I'm sure it will be fine where it is ;)

Do, however, take the next picture with the bike the other way around (so you can see chain rings). And have the cranks (what the pedals are attached to) horizontal with the ground.

Very important ;)

DFD.

Star+Tracks_+Friday,+March+6,+2009+-+SPIN+CYCLE+-+Jake+Gyllenhaal+_+People.com.jpg
    THe pie plate is the plastic behind the cassette

what is the issue with the pie plate? are they not allowed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

what is the issue with the pie plate? are they not allowed?

It's an infraction and a ban-able offence around here!

can anyone tell me how to remove a pie plate?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

they aren't easily removable without hacking them off. Snip it in a few places and just pull the bits off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

can anyone tell me how to remove a pie plate?

As you are a beginner maybe you should leave it on for a while at least. It may prevent the chain dropping off if your derailer or shifter goes out of adjustment.
    If you decide to take it off yourself you will need a chain whip and a shimano casette tool.
    I bought one of those (Vanquish) in Halfords about three years ago and it is my favourite (most comfortable) road bike. I use it for winter training and sportives. Very little road vibration compared to carbon. Has eyelets for mudguards and rear carrier if you like.
    The carrera saddle is so good I put it on my race bike in summer.
    One of the bottom bracket bearings gave up after about 5,000Km but everything else OK.
    PS: If your wheels have rubber rim tape I would replace with cloth at the earliest opportunity. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,064 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Scott Addict SL, SRAM Red.

Not exactly a looker, apologies for the crap picture quality.

I'll post a build list and weights when my new wheel arrives, but my favourite bit is the USE Sumo titanium seatpost, 208g incl. shim (they lie!).

Thoughts coming from the Cayo: stiff (meh), light (good), slightly squirrely (will get used to this), no cable rattles (good), noisy cassette (mildly annoying), clickety shifting (interesting), ugly groupset (meh).

Would probably look better with bling wheels and some fancy chainrings.

88029.jpg

slightly squirrely? Does it collect nuts and store them for the winter?

Raam wrote: »
    slightly squirrely? Does it collect nuts and store them for the winter?

This is bike reviewer speak for "my heavier bike was masking my appalling pedalling technique".

This is bike reviewer speak for "my heavier bike was masking my appalling pedalling technique".

Do you ride a fixie at all?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

looks good, am I wrong to point out that with everything else perfectly setup, the garmin angle is annoying me, I'd like to see it parallel to the stem please!

Do you ride a fixie at all?

Not if I can possibly avoid it.

• Advertisement

Not if I can possibly avoid it.

What has it unmasked in your technique? One foot pedaling can help smooth things out also

copacetic wrote: »
    looks good, am I wrong to point out that with everything else perfectly setup, the garmin angle is annoying me, I'd like to see it parallel to the stem please!

That would make a great deal of sense if I could see with my nipples.

copacetic wrote: »

I'd like to see the powerlink match the rest of the chain, but I guess it will when it's dirty

What has it unmasked in your technique? One foot pedaling can help smooth things out also

The wheelbase is the same as the Cayo. The geometry isn't much different (5mm shorter TT). The bike sort of moves left to right a little bit as I pedal it, compared with the Cayo. I'm not sure why this is.

I feel knackered this morning, maybe it'll go away when I ride it properly.

The wheelbase is the same as the Cayo. The geometry isn't much different (5mm shorter TT). The bike sort of moves left to right a little bit as I pedal it, compared with the Cayo. I'm not sure why this is.

I feel knackered this morning, maybe it'll go away when I ride it properly.

Ah you're probably just getting used to it. Either that or you're doing it all wrong ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'd hit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Would probably look better with bling wheels and some fancy chainrings.

Nice bike. But I agree, the rear wheel certainly has a lot of spokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I like it Lumen! With a nice set of wheels (fulcrum zero?) it would look the job alright.

I don't like though the bottle cages! (and pump for the love of euroness?!!)

As you are a beginner maybe you should leave it on for a while at least. It may prevent the chain dropping off if your derailer or shifter goes out of adjustment.
    If you decide to take it off yourself you will need a chain whip and a shimano casette tool.
    I bought one of those (Vanquish) in Halfords about three years ago and it is my favourite (most comfortable) road bike. I use it for winter training and sportives. Very little road vibration compared to carbon. Has eyelets for mudguards and rear carrier if you like.
    The carrera saddle is so good I put it on my race bike in summer.
    One of the bottom bracket bearings gave up after about 5,000Km but everything else OK.
    PS: If your wheels have rubber rim tape I would replace with cloth at the earliest opportunity. Best of luck with it.

thanks victor, i have succesfully removed the plastic disc and yes i had to adjust the rear derailliur and re-indexed my gears after watching a "how to" video on youtube. thanks for the advice!

• Advertisement

i have succesfully removed the plastic disc !
    well done, that's one step closer to euroness.

Advertisement