Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post images of beauty (quote pics sparingly) - see Mod warnings in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Murph100 wrote: »
    HED Ardennes are very light 1362g ( they claim ) , same money as the Shamals, the rims are 432g so a very light where it counts

432g isn't really very light though - the HEDs have very light hubs.

I'm interested in the Shimano WH 7850 C24 CL rims. According to Competitive Cyclist, the front rim weighs 380g, the rear 385g, and you get an alloy braking surface. And they're rebuildable with easily ordered spares.

Those rims on some DT Swiss 240s hubs with some Sapim or Aerolite spokes would be very light and almost sensible, apart from the spoke counts. :pac:

Not aero though.

Wheel weight calculator here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

So would you rule out the Shamals ? Cant find a rim weight ANYWHERE but I reckon its not light !!

Full carbon tubs are the lightest for sure, are tubs an option for everyday riding ? Will a bottle of Stans sort out most flats bar a complete rip, which is also game over with a clincher anyways.

Lumen wrote: »
    432g isn't really very light though - the HEDs have very light hubs.

I'm interested in the Shimano WH 7850 C24 CL rims. According to Competitive Cyclist, the front rim weighs 380g, the rear 385g, and you get an alloy braking surface. And they're rebuildable with easily ordered spares.

Those rims on some DT Swiss 240s hubs with some Sapim or Aerolite spokes would be very light and almost sensible, apart from the spoke counts. :pac:

Not aero though.

Wheel weight calculator here.

So would you rule out the Shamals ? Cant find a rim weight ANYWHERE but I reckon its not light !!

Full carbon tubs are the lightest for sure, are tubs an option for everyday riding ? Will a bottle of Stans sort out most flats bar a complete rip, which is also game over with a clincher anyways.

Current discussion on tubs.

Don't know much about Campag wheels, as I don't run a Campag setup. Have come across some negative comments on WW about difficulty getting high end Campag wheels repaired (months of waiting to get rims and high cost). The Shamal spoke pattern isn't to my taste anyway (subjective) but seems like form over function.

I've actually put me name down for the Am Classic Mag 300, they wont be here until the first week in Sept, so I wont have them for the SK :( . They sound the biz, light 300g rim, a little aero, wide rim almost like the HED, ceramic bearings, titanium skewers etc for £599..... but that high spoke count though is bloody minging looking !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Why did I tell you about those wheels? I called them first, you go buy your HEDs!

• Advertisement

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Why did I tell you about those wheels? I called them first, you go buy your HEDs!

:)

Ah well, this afternoons idea is Reynolds MV32C/DV46C. I can't find any complaints about them (bar the price), which is unusual for fancy wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Ah well, this afternoons idea is Reynolds MV32C/DV46C. I can't find any complaints about them (bar the price), which is unusual for fancy wheels.

So you will have a Scott Reynolds bike? Does the real Scott Reynolds know about this?

Raam wrote: »
    So you will have a Scott Reynolds bike? Does the real Scott Reynolds know about this?

Women want him. Men want to be like him.

Women want him. Men want to be like him.

Women want him to leave them alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Yeah, those wheels are teh sexy. They'd deffo fall into the special-occasions-only bracket though, rebuildable or not.

• Advertisement

Ya could always go the Reynolds Attack route, €995.00 in CRC at the mo, not bad !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I've actually put me name down for the Am Classic Mag 300, they wont be here until the first week in Sept, so I wont have them for the SK :( . They sound the biz, light 300g rim, a little aero, wide rim almost like the HED, ceramic bearings, titanium skewers etc for £599..... but that high spoke count though is bloody minging looking !!!

Hey Murph, where are you getting these wheels - any links?

On a point of style, is it wrong to want an narrower rim (e.g.) MV32C on the front and a matching but deeper (e.g. DV46C) rim on the rear? Is that sort of "606" setup reserved for TTs?

40+mm rims are obviously a bit compromised in crosswinds, s'all.
    Ya could always go the Reynolds Attack route, €995.00 in CRC at the mo, not bad !!

I don't think I'm Jens-enough for wheels called "Attack".

Epic Cycles in the UK are doing them, I got my bike from them last year, very good bunch, and complete perfectionists.

They have only started getting the American Classics, but they are very impressed with them, and the UK importer seems to be cutting the price to get them out there. The 350 sprint is bloody amazing for £345, rim weight of 350g !!!!

www.epic-cycles.co.uk

www.amclassic.com
    gman2k wrote: »
    Hey Murph, where are you getting these wheels - any links?

Get a set up Edge Composites built up for yerself then.

38C front with 45 C rear

you know the place :

www.wheelbuilder.com

They work out cheaper, lighter and better than Zipp Clinchers !!
    I don't think I'm Jens-enough for wheels called "Attack".

I've actually put me name down for the Am Classic Mag 300...that high spoke count though is bloody minging looking !!!

I beg to differ. This looks ace....

119_175_ma.jpg

Ah yeas, thats the front wheel, not bad looking at all I agree, but the rear wheel is like something from a High Nelly !! :pac:

http://www.amclassic.com/products/roadwheels/magclincher.php

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Ahem...back on topic..
    IMG_0221.jpg?t=1250582989

Planet X Ti Pro road,Full Dura Ace 7900 group set,
    Dura Ace 7850 SL wheels,FSA Orbit extreme pro ceramic headset,
    Zipp Contour carbon handlebar,Zipp SL145 carbon stem.
    Planet X stem,saddle and carbon cages.
    Weighed in @7.81kg as you see it.

Lovingly brought to life by Mr.Skeffington.;)

Tasty. I like the way your headset cap matches your nipples.

And using a beer bottle to balance the bike? Genius :)

Lovely looking machine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Very sleek.....
    I like the way your headset cap matches your nipples.

i wonder if this would work as a chat up line.........

Cheers guys.;)

Back from her maiden voyage this evening. My god it's true what they say about titanium smoothing the road out. Stretches of road I've covered countless times on the Lapierre which would sap my speed and turn the bike into a bone shaker,merely created a gentle buzz through the frame.
    The size of the frame brings me right back to the feel of my racing bike from years ago. Much more space in the cockpit and it felt strange not seeing gear cables,so much neater.
    I know have a slight understanding of this pursuit for lightness.You certainly feel the difference on the climbs.

What about a matching red compression cap that came with the headset?
    I've the carbon Zipp cap on atm. Everything above the red headset cap is carbon,it may look lost up there.(it is a long way up:p)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,388 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

well heres my focus Cayo

3834091269_7a97599602.jpg

3834893158_2409f29f35.jpg

and i havent bent the RS-10 wheels yet

Cracking Focus. Love the current paintjob.

Nice looking ride ednwireland. Must get me one of those stands. Much better than a beer bottle.:D
    Any chance of a shot of the business side of the bike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Very nice. I can see that you're a man of high taste who appreciates the finer things in life! How do you find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

Just got my new Felt f4Sl yesterday. Love it!
    dsc03105mgo.jpg
    dsc03106v.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,388 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Nice looking ride ednwireland. Must get me one of those stands. Much better than a beer bottle.:D
    Any chance of a shot of the business side of the bike?
    3836978681_c32753be1a.jpg

3836973651_26af112798.jpg
    Very nice. I can see that you're a man of high taste who appreciates the finer things in life! How do you find it?

very nice, very stiff, did 90 km on sunday found it very comfortable. was worried about the wheels but they seem to be holding up ok. if i make any of the sportives next year i'll have to get myself a name sticker (just which flag - have 4 to choose from)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Thats a beauty, want one of these , Trek 1.9 now for sale.
    3834091269_7a97599602.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭happy_73

Cayo looks fab. Put in my forms for bike2work scheme to get one :) CAN'T WAIT!

@ednwireland: why were you worried about the wheels?

Advertisement