Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post images of beauty (quote pics sparingly) - see Mod warnings in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,064 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Raam wrote: »
    Nice machine, Lumen. Have you taken it out for a spin yet? We took our new ones out on Sunday, nearly got swept into the sea trying to ride them along the coast.

I've promised myself I'm not going to ride it much until I've had a professional bike fit, but may take it out next weekend if it's not too windy.

The bar end shifters are awesome.

Is the Look a replacement for the Bianchi?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Lumen wrote: »
    I've promised myself I'm not going to ride it much until I've had a professional bike fit, but may take it out next weekend if it's not too windy.

The bar end shifters are awesome.

Is the Look a replacement for the Bianchi?

The Look was coming anyway.

As for bike fit... I wonder if it is worth waiting a bit of time and doing some racing on a regular bike first? During that time you can work on your flexibility. Then when you are settled in and really know what suits you, you should be able to get a position which is perfect for you.

That's just my two cents, I don't know how consistent that is with more experienced people's views.

As for bike fit... I wonder if it is worth waiting a bit of time and doing some racing on a regular bike first? During that time you can work on your flexibility. Then when you are settled in and really know what suits you, you should be able to get a position which is perfect for you.

The problem I have with TT'ing specifically is that my times are not consistent with my power output.

My ambition is to get under the hour for a 40k TT in the foreseeable future.

According to various calculators, with 250W in an ideal aero position I should be clocking well under 65 minutes (perhaps closer to the hour), rather than 69 minutes.

I will (of course) be working to improve my meagre power output, but this is fairly futile unless I can get a more aero position. If I was to put out 450W (which is never going to happen) in my current position, I'd still barely scrape under the hour.

So the idea behind buying a TT bike now is that I can slowly introduce training in a comfortable but aero position whilst working with a physio on specific exercises to improve flexibility and core strength.

Of course I could do this without a TT bike, but the focus of my riding this winter is on building endurance, and messing around with my comfy road bike position is not part of this plan.

How many 25m TTs have you done?

You're deflecting. You know you want a TT bike. :)

• Advertisement

You're deflecting. You know you want a TT bike. :)

I'm just wondering if you need to give yourself some time in full competition before you will know exactly what you need and want.

LOL, two. The second one resulting in a few weeks off the bike with back problems. This is a comfort purchase :pac:
    I'm just wondering if you need to give yourself some time in full competition before you will know exactly what you need and want.

Too late now, I have the bike :)

LOL, two. The second one resulting in a few weeks off the bike with back problems. This is a comfort purchase :pac:

Too late now, I have the bike :)

That's one more than me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

@lumen, or any1 else with bar end shifters. are they just the same mechanism as down tube shifters, with the shift wire just wrapped around a drum at the base of the lever or is it more complicated than that? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

abcdggs wrote: »
    @lumen, or any1 else with bar end shifters. are they just the same mechanism as down tube shifters, with the shift wire just wrapped around a drum at the base of the lever or is it more complicated than that? thanks

No, you've got it in a nutshell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭RO 06

few pics of my bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jollylee

RO 06 wrote: »
    few pics of my bikes
    96964.jpg

Beaut! Don't ever dare sell it for a fixi convert. Its a peach!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭ten speed racer

jollylee wrote: »

Seeing the Viking Vision takes me back...

A few friends had them when I started schoolboy racing around 1987 or 1988. They were fairly popular around my way as they were made nearby in Derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

@ RO 06: Whats up with the chainset on the Trek 2.1??? Is it just me or is your granny ring absolutely tiny in comparison to the outer chainring? Or is it just that to ouster chainring is just massive? Either way there seems to be a huge gap in between them....how many teeth are they out of curiosity?

EDIT: I just picked up my white Planet X Stealth a few minutes ago, I will post up pictures in the near future! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

@RO O6, you must tell me where you got the guards on the Trek. Do you need a eye-hole in the forks, rear stays to fit them?

@ RO 06: Whats up with the chainset on the Trek 2.1??? Is it just me or is your granny ring absolutely tiny in comparison to the outer chainring? Or is it just that to ouster chainring is just massive? Either way there seems to be a huge gap in between them....how many teeth are they out of curiosity?

EDIT: I just picked up my white Planet X Stealth a few minutes ago, I will post up pictures in the near future! :)

50/34 I think it is the angle the photo is taken

velo.2010 wrote: »
    @RO O6, you must tell me where you got the guards on the Trek. Do you need a eye-hole in the forks, rear stays to fit them?

The guards are crud roadracers.Got them from CRC. Very easy to fit.No eye-holes required.There is a thread about them. Think they cost £24 sterling

jollylee wrote: »

Bought it when I was schoolboy racing.I have it 20yrs.Iwill never make a fixi from it. Still gets an occasional spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭redser05

My Baby.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Nice website here I just came across which I had never seen before - lots of images of beauty in my opinion! Enjoy....;)

P.S. Anyone know if they ship to Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

I'm on this, its nothing fancy and has served me well for over a year

giant-rincon-aw07.jpg#

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

redser05 wrote: »
    My Baby.....

Very purposeful looking machine you have there - Nice!

Nice website here I just came across which I had never seen before - lots of images of beauty in my opinion! Enjoy....;)

I quite like this one

Fenomalist-white.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

It doesn't look like they do. Ireland is not available is a country of destination on the delivery form.

This one is too big to post on the board, but it's worth looking at...

http://sweatngears.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/sweatngears_basso_1136.jpg

Whooo-weeee

BASSO%20GREEN.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Yes they do deliver to ireland
    S-TEC sports to me
    show details 6:33 PM (5 minutes ago)
    Hello.

Thank you for your interest .
    Yes , we can ship parts or bikes to Ireland .
    The price for shipping is from 20 to 100 euro .

best regards
    Henning Schwiese

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Why did he not tape the ends of his bars? Wouldn't like to slip while down in the drops, personally. Sweet machine though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

What's the deal with the bar tape on some of those bikes? I've seen the tops of the bars left bare before (lest someone fail to notice the weave of the carbon bars) but I haven't seen the ends of the drops left nekid before.

example a

example b
    example c

Does weightweenieism preclude the use of bar-end-plugs now? Because I thought those were mandatory because of the risk of taking a core sample out of someone in a crash... but I suppose most of these bike are below the minimum weight anyway and are race illegal with or without the plugs...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I know the bars I bought there was debate on the internet as to whether the tops should be wrapped or not. I think the rationale was purely to show off the unique shape and graphics, pretty weak reasons.

CYP216.tested4.fsabar2_prev-399-75.jpg

I am glad I did wrap them, extra padding is nice and if I decide to ride without gloves, I don't need to worry about greasy palms (not that I have any) creating grip trouble.

Advertisement