Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post images of beauty (quote pics sparingly) - see Mod warnings in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Well, now that I understand that euroists are eliminating bar-tape incrementally from both ends Raam's steed makes much more sense. I thought he was just too lazy to tape his bars prior to the photoshoot but I now realise that he, as ever, is one step ahead, and has taken things to the next level. Masterful, really.

IMG_5768.JPG

I'm off to start scrubbing the gummy residue from my bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Carbon bars are for Freds

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I need to figure out the shifter position before wrapping :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

E@gle. wrote: »
    Carbon bars are for Freds
    I used to think that but to be honest I do wonder if there is some vibration dampening benefit also after actually getting a bike with carbon bars (as there is virtually no weight benefit.) I know having used them when it came up to replacing them I went carbon again.
    Raam wrote: »
    I need to figure out the shifter position before wrapping :)
    Seriously, very important that, I have had to unwrap mine completely before when I got it a bit off.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bbosco

Drool.

Love the Jan Ullrich 'Ghost'.
    The carbon Dedacciai with the ti stays is an interesting idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

bbosco wrote: »
    Drool.

Love the Jan Ullrich 'Ghost'.
    The carbon Dedacciai with the ti stays is an interesting idea.

The Ullrich puts me in mind of the De Rosa Cinquanta

s-18-98084.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Very nice, Vélo. The Kona road bikes have a lovely look.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Bike looks good Velo, is this a replacement for the giant or just a new addition?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

My new beauty. First bike for commuting in and out of the city. It'll save me bucket loads on bus fares... and probably kill my legs (short trip home from seller today had me in bits... much better workout then the gym). So happy with it...

4157830154_f29e8838e6.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Good man, I hope that's not the lock you'll be using to keep your bike safe.
    http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Locks_%26_Security

Good man, I hope that's not the lock you'll be using to keep your bike safe.
    http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Locks_%26_Security

Nah the guy I bought it off threw it in, who am I to say no? I have a big chunky industrial lock for the backwheel/frame to attach to wherever I may park, and a decent U-lock to attach the front wheel to the frame. The guy warned me about the bike attracting attention when parked so to choose my locations wisely.

...DIT's carpark it is, so :)

That cable lock would probably do fine for the front wheel. Key is to use different types of lock so a thief would need two sets of tools to break them (U Locks and cables require different approaches.)

Treks are nice bikes but unfortunately very attractive to thieves in my experience... I lost 4 7200/7300 FXes around 2000/01.

blorg wrote: »
    That cable lock would probably do fine for the front wheel. Key is to use different types of lock so a thief would need two sets of tools to break them (U Locks and cables require different approaches.)

Treks are nice bikes but unfortunately very attractive to thieves in my experience... I lost 4 7200/7300 FXes around 2000/01.

I was thinking of using the cable lock to tie the whole thing together, ultimately having 3 locks on the thing.

Yeah the guy I bought it off said the brand will attract thieves, but most of the time it'll be locked up in college grounds and sure isn't there a multi-storey on Drury st. that has a free bike park with proper security?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

think this fits the thread title
    _N9O9943.jpg

I was thinking of using the cable lock to tie the whole thing together, ultimately having 3 locks on the thing.

Yeah the guy I bought it off said the brand will attract thieves, but most of the time it'll be locked up in college grounds and sure isn't there a multi-storey on Drury st. that has a free bike park with proper security?
    Are the DIT's carparks not extreme high risk places to leave a bike? I went to UCD myself but that was notorious for bike theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭morninwood

My new beauty. First bike for commuting in and out of the city. It'll save me bucket loads on bus fares... and probably kill my legs (short trip home from seller today had me in bits... much better workout then the gym). So happy with it...

got me a second hand trek recently and have the same issue with it attracting too much attention especially from the wrong crowd.
    great bike and so much nicer than the giant ocr4 ton of bricks i used to ride.

trek1500slr.jpg

blorg wrote: »
    Are the DIT's carparks not extreme high risk places to leave a bike? I went to UCD myself but that was notorious for bike theft.

Nah the Kevin St. bike parks are grand. Secluded from normal student pedestrian traffic. There's an "underground" area to sneak into which is usually reserved for lecturers but I'm doing a night course so I can go in "under the radar" as it were... In fairness I don't think anywhere is bulletproof safe
    morninwood wrote: »
    got me a second hand trek recently and have the same issue with it attracting too much attention especially from the wrong crowd.
    great bike and so much nicer than the giant ocr4 ton of bricks i used to ride.

trek1500slr.jpg

Well this is my first so I've no real comparison but so far I've heard very little, if any, negative comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

Nah the Kevin St. bike parks are grand. Secluded from normal student pedestrian traffic. There's an "underground" area to sneak into which is usually reserved for lecturers but I'm doing a night course so I can go in "under the radar" as it were... In fairness I don't think anywhere is bulletproof safe

Well this is my first so I've no real comparison but so far I've heard very little, if any, negative comments.

While I never had a problem in Kevin St., the secluded places are the least safe, they give the thief more time to work. Kevin st. looks like a bike graveyard as well.
    I'd reckon though that you'll be safe enough in that your bike will be harder to steal than all the others. The locking skills of the average DIT cyclist are pretty poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

While I never had a problem in Kevin St., the secluded places are the least safe, they give the thief more time to work. Kevin st. looks like a bike graveyard as well.
    I'd reckon though that you'll be safe enough in that your bike will be harder to steal than all the others. The locking skills of the average DIT cyclist are pretty poor.

Get a pass for the locked shed around the back. Left my bike there for years with no problem, but lots were taken from the main bike part.
    The swipe card was e6 for the shed, 3 refunded when you left it back, but you could just keep it for as long as you were there.

• Advertisement

Get a pass for the locked shed around the back. Left my bike there for years with no problem, but lots were taken from the main bike part.
    The swipe card was e6 for the shed, 3 refunded when you left it back, but you could just keep it for as long as you were there.

Sounds like a good idea. Can this be used "off peak" times too?

Also, has anyone used the Drury St. car park where, I believe, they have a bike park (free) at the security hut?

...and just to keep the thread on topic:
    0B9F534A4B7847F7B473ABE9E816EC92-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

AAHHH a pie plate
    6a00d8341c582a53ef0120a561bda7970b-320wi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

Also, has anyone used the Drury St. car park where, I believe, they have a bike park (free) at the security hut?

...and just to keep the thread on topic:
    0B9F534A4B7847F7B473ABE9E816EC92-800.jpg

I used it once. Locked my bike beside another SCR3 that was locked with only a cable lock. I have no good reason for thinking this, but I felt a bit uneasy about leaving the bike there. If someone really wanted to take my bike I'm sure they still could.
    All in all, it's good though. Very convenient and dry and better than leaving it on the street. Take all the usual precautions though.

P.s.: Get rid of that plastic yoke on your wheel.

P.s.: Get rid of that plastic yoke on your wheel.

Why? Bike came with it, no idea what it does/is etc.

I'm still a noob :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Pie plate

Slang term for a spoke protector
    Slang term for a disc-type chainguard.

from Sheldon Brown. A mine of cycling related information

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Yea, although I got locked in it for about half an hour a few years ago when the inside gate wouldn't open. They put a new locking mechanism on it a few weeks ago. Don't think it uses cards anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I'm still a noob :D

That's exactly what it does. Think of it as the grown up equivalent of an "L" plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Rumblefish

things of bike beauty here - http://galwaybikes.com/?p=140

the bike just about makes it into the shot. - from a Johnny Loco bike campaign which ran in outdoor billboards in Amsterdam and also still ontheir website 2009 catalog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭LikeOhMyGawd!

L9l7FfkMOpcai116iE1QnGjlo1_500.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Rumblefish

A shot from Australian Vogue - the girl is nearly as beautiful as the bike

http://galwaybikes.com/?p=206

Advertisement