Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post images of beauty (quote pics sparingly) - see Mod warnings in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Found this on the Cervelo forums. A custom paint job

dsc0001t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31,064 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Raam wrote: »
    Found this on the Cervelo forums. A custom paint job

Stop it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I very much doubt if I would notice a difference with a change of 2.5mm (less than a tenth of an inch for us imperialists). This is less than 1.5% of the crank length. I think blorg pointed out in a thread a few months ago, a longer crank in effect lowers your gearing marginally, but I think it is lost in the roundings for me (although I appreciate it may make a difference to the really serious and pro cyclists)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Beasty wrote: »
    I very much doubt if I would notice a difference with a change of 2.5mm (less than a tenth of an inch for us imperialists). This is less than 1.5% of the crank length. I think blorg pointed out in a thread a few months ago, a longer crank in effect lowers your gearing marginally, but I think it is lost in the roundings for me (although I appreciate it may make a difference to the really serious and pro cyclists)
    consider how many times you rotate the crank on a spin. not entirely sure how to describe what i mean but surely the muscle memory aspect of that kind of repetition would caus you to notice the difference. whether it would be for the better or worse i have no idea, but one would surely notice the change

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I think in a world where we measure every change in bike setup in mm, it might make some difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have always used 175 so I can't speak from experience but I know others certainly notice a 5mm difference, I would not say 2.5mm is out of the bounds of possibility. Remember it will affect things like your saddle height as well.

IIRC Sheldon didn't think it mattered much though so you are in good company.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭redmaxi

On a bike fitting video I once saw they recommended multiplying inseam lenght by 21.5% to obtain correct crank lenght, e.g. for myself:

Inseam= 770mm x .215 = 165.55mm crank lenght.

I take it all with a bucket of salt though.

Lumen wrote: »
    Stop it.

You know you want to.

redmaxi wrote: »
    On a bike fitting video I once saw they recommended multiplying inseam lenght by 21.5% to obtain correct crank lenght, e.g. for myself:

Inseam= 770mm x .215 = 165.55mm crank lenght.

I take it all with a bucket of salt though.
    I have seen that formula but it seems to produce recommended crank lengths completely off (below) what is actually specced on any bike in the marketplace.

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »

If you don't stop this my downtube will bite you.

DSC_0023.jpg?disposition=download

this is better
    DSCF2282.jpg?disposition=download

As I recall from biology lessons, sharks don't have exhaust pipes. Unless it's a bike painted to look like a plane painted to look like a shark.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

How many grams does this paintjob add? :o

Lumen wrote: »
    As I recall from biology lessons, sharks don't have exhaust pipes. Unless it's a bike painted to look like a plane painted to look like a shark.
    mmh i googled it and they dont, but i think you will agree they should

@astramonti- 24g of awesome!

AstraMonti wrote: »
    How many grams does this paintjob add? :o
    It's actually not altogether trivial, I have seen estimates of up to 90g but that IIRC was on a Ti bike vs plain unpainted, not really an option with other materials. PX say only 20g for their white frame over the black one, I imagine the black has cosmetic/clearcost which is not weight free either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Ok weightweenies... DO IT!!

th_carryfreedom_1.jpg th_carryfreedom_2.jpg th_carryfreedom_3.jpg th_carryfreedom_4.jpg

blorg wrote: »
    th_carryfreedom_1.jpg

I have visions of Lady Blorg standing on the rear platform, reigns in hand, cracking the whip.

that sounded better in my head

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

After the groceries on aerobars pics, I'm eagerly awaiting photo evidence of the kind of loads that are going to be hauled on this. A television? Pets? A bathroom suite?

• Advertisement

el tonto wrote: »
    After the groceries on aerobars pics, I'm eagerly awaiting photo evidence of the kind of loads that are going to be hauled on this. A television? Pets? A bathroom suite?
    They say in the instructions not to haul pets on it. No mention of children though so I imagine they are OK.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

They say in the instructions not to haul pets on it. No mention of children though so I imagine they are OK.

You just have to find yourself some children now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Bring it later on, I'm sure one or two people will need to be carted home after.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

th_carryfreedom_1.jpg th_carryfreedom_2.jpg th_carryfreedom_3.jpg th_carryfreedom_4.jpg

What make of panniers are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

If you can fit a widescreen television on it then we can get the busgate operational again.

Are you off somewhere Blorg? Are you doing a Svein Tuft?

What make of panniers are they?
    Karrimor. Don't think they make them any more. I got them second hand quite a few years ago now, they have held up very well. Not waterproof though. I recently had one of the straps go into my fixed sprocket which tore it which is a bit annoying, it will just limit packing it very high.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Gavin on his new Islabike, 26th. December 2009. 18857_105888309427252_1000001825030.jpg

Down the N11, doing the Sorrento 2 Up Novelty TT on St. Stephens Day,

18857_105893759426707_1000001825030.jpg

He came off on a spot of ice at a roundabout, no damage, maybe pride. And...........picked up a puncture that morning, went flat when we got home!!!! First day out ffs!

10 yrs. old. Start 'em young! His first race (Not really a race, but he was excited.)

http://www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/luath26.html

My old MTB, needs a bit of work

IMG_5833.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Honda bike with internal gearbox thing:

honda-RN01.jpg

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Honda bike with internal gearbox thing:

sounds like some serious kit