Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post images of beauty (quote pics sparingly) - see Mod warnings in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

8621.jpg

I should point out that that is not my house, not my bike and not my hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,064 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Too much setback on the seatpost, and that crankset is minging. In fact I'd bin all that finishing kit. £3100 for a lugged frameset? è uno scherzo, vero?

Lumen wrote: »
    Too much setback on the seatpost

Depends who is riding the bike, init?

Raam wrote: »
    Depends who is riding the bike, init?

No. For three grand I expect the frame to fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I had that seatpost and had to swap it for the 0 setback, it was ridiculous, I think it goes 0 then 25mm and my saddle has very short rails. But that FSA K-Force kit is sweet.

Lovely bike, if David Hasslehoff made a show about a talking bike with turbo mode, that would be it.

No. For three grand I expect the frame to fit.

meow! Bad day at the office? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭morninwood

i beg to disagree. loving the look of the bike. black with a bit of red and white is just sexy.

morninwood wrote: »
    i beg to disagree. loving the look of the bike. black with a bit of red and white is just sexy.

Finally, someone with good taste.
    I would agree that the crankset ain't the nicest though.

Finally, someone with good taste.
    I would agree that the crankset ain't the nicest though.

What about me? I said I liked it! Give Dirk some of that credit pie!

• Advertisement

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    What about me? I said I liked it! Give Dirk some of that credit pie!

OK so, welcome to the party.

meow! Bad day at the office? ;)

Sorry, I wasn't directing that at your Cervelo setback issues.

I just think that since Colnago insists on using ancient lugged construction on the basis that it can offer eleventy million frame sizes, it's a bit stupid for them to stick a massively setback seatpost (typically used to correct a poorly fitted frame) onto a demo bike.

Sorry, I wasn't directing that at your Cervelo setback issues.

Not a problem anymore.
    I just think that since Colnago insists on using ancient lugged construction on the basis that it can offer eleventy million frame sizes, it's a bit stupid for them to stick a massively setback seatpost (typically used to correct a poorly fitted frame) onto a demo bike.

What is wrong with lugs?

What is wrong with lugs?

Ugly bodge. They make the bike look like it was assembled from hula hoops and grissini.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

What is wrong with lugs?

This

http://www.flickr.com/photos/amphalon/3315616307/
    spaceball.gif

Ugly bodge. They make the bike look like it was assembled from hula hoops and grissini.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as I quite like them.

Suppose you ain't a fan of this either?

Look-595-det.jpg

No, it's lovely. But it would be lovelier without lugs. edit: and I think Mavic ought to use a UD finish on the Cosmics, that weave is a bit 1990s/Planet-X.

Also, I think Look have done OK with the lugs and the angular design. The EPS is a more organic shape which would look better with a monocoque, or subtler lugs as used on the De Rosa Neo Pro:

2edy2qf.jpg

Actually, it might just be the angle. Those lugs look quite similar, maybe I was just put off by all the FSA.

FWIW I think lugs on a classic steel frame are nice.

I fail to see the difference between the lugs on the De Rosa and the Colnago, except for superior photography and lighting.

In the words of GOB, "come on!":

DSCN2472.jpg

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I fail to see the difference between the lugs on the De Rosa and the Colnago, except for superior photography and lighting

Yeah, I struggle also. However, the Neo Pro looks way better overall. Maybe it's the tube profiles, or maybe wheels and finishing kit is everything.

edit: as for the CX-1, I think it needs beefy wheels to balance out the beefy frame. I saw that frameset in a shop and it didn't look as wondrous as the brochure shots, a bit plasticky.

I like almost nothing, so my opinions count for nothing

Got it! Lugged frames must have horizontal top tubes.

The Colnago looks worse because it's compact. The Neo Pro is traditional.

The Look is semi-compact, and just about gets away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as I quite like them.

Suppose you ain't a fan of this either?

Look-595-det.jpg

Quite apart from the bike, that's an awful photo. They really should have put the chain on the outer chainring. The scrunched up rear mech looks crap and the flash manages to make one wheel look a different colour from the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I really don't see the appeal of carbon Colnagos or De Rosas at all. The Colnago Master X-Light is a nice bike, just overpriced.

Looks, on the other hand, are fantastic.

blorg wrote: »
    I really don't see the appeal of carbon Colnagos or De Rosas at all.

Is there something in the water around here today?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bbosco

blorg wrote: »
    I really don't see the appeal of carbon Colnagos or De Rosas at all. The Colnago Master X-Light is a nice bike, just overpriced.

Looks, on the other hand, are fantastic.

Agreed. If I could have any De Rosa it would be a Neo Primato in Molteni orange. Then again I have a steel fetish....

newcycling039ll7.jpg

Now thems some good-looking lugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Is there something in the water around here today?

There must be, I'd happily take either of those, although my current crush is

Guerciotti%20in%20Fiets%2006-2008.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

@RAAM.
    Lovely bike (the colnago). But I love them and in particular I adore a matt black finish.

@BBosco I saw a review of that De Rosa Molteni - apparently heavy and flexy. Nice finish though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

ROK ON wrote: »
    @BBosco I saw a review of that De Rosa Molteni - apparently heavy and flexy. Nice finish though.
    It's steel. That's what steel does, heavy, flexy and looks great.

@lukester: Lovely. Needs Campag.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

My new shoes first non black ones since 1993!!

6109-12_l.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Very_Large_8.jpg

My new ride. Arriving next week.
    I will use Fulcrum 5's for now, but put on a pair of Mavic Syriums (as Lumen would spell them) come the better weather.
    Cant wait. It is probably 5mm larger on the top tube (540mm) than I am used to, but I am (sincerely) hoping that improved flexibility (me) plus a larger head tube will make a difference.
    The reason I went slightly larger is that the small was too small, and on my Orbea (535mm) I get wheel rub off my shoes when cornering.

Advertisement