Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post images of beauty (quote pics sparingly) - see Mod warnings in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Lumen wrote: »
    @lukester: Lovely. Needs Campag.

Didn't even spot that in my haste to paste. For shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Very nice ROK, nearly went for one meself !! You weren't influenced by a certain Kuota Kebel owner in Kenmare by any chance, were you ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Murph100 wrote: »
    Very nice ROK, nearly went for one meself !! You weren't influenced by a certain Kuota Kebel owner in Kenmare by any chance, were you ?

Whaaaaaaaat!!!!!! If I had know I wouldnt have gone for it.
    I always get slightly embarassed when I meet another Dolan on the road.

Who is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Golfanatic

ill have a new bike soon, 10 speed. ill be making the frame not gonna tell you anymore but its gonna be sweet! might take a while though Watch this space!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

When you say making the frame?? do you mean starting with just metal tubing??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Golfanatic

who said it was metal?:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

My road bike in winter-mode; ill-fitting mudguards that I had to file-down to fit, a different saddle, an old tube under the bar-tape for shock-absorption, and my headlight

4314967908_fd08e7fdcc_b.jpg

Speaking of lugs, as we were :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,066 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That is absolutely gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭sexpot

Loving that Mercian. There's something about Mercian frames I just love. I'm liking that colour scheme as well. Nover really seen anyone do a bit of a halfo halfo on it. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

The bar plugs are :). Lovely.

• Advertisement

Not sure if this has been posted before...

3949822498_121cb05211_b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

The person sitting on the rear seat had better hope that the front rider has a good sense of personal cleanliness, or just a very pretty bum at the very least;)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

think we had the pic before, or at least the same jokes!

copacetic wrote: »
    think we had the pic before, or at least the same jokes!

Ah, sorry. I searched for "images of beauty" and "tandem" and only found this. :eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Ah, sorry. I searched for "images of beauty" and "tandem" and only found this. :eek:

you're right, it was only the same jokes on their own thread, not the same pic!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055777953

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

My fixie that ive been putting together over the last while. Just waiting on bar tape and a brake lever to finish.

dsc03145m.th.jpg dsc03146z.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bbosco

ROK ON wrote: »
    @RAAM.
    @BBosco I saw a review of that De Rosa Molteni - apparently heavy and flexy. Nice finish though.

Not that surprised to hear it has mixed reviews, tbh. It smacks of a frame built to trade on its looks and historical cachet rather than quality.
    If I were buying another steel frame and money were no object, I'd go for a Pegoretti.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Finally finished my new machine :)

DSC_0124.jpg
    DSC_0130.jpg
    DSC_0131.jpg

bow.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

bow.gif

+1

Dream machine that is! Best of luck with it ;)

• Advertisement

+1

Dream machine that is! Best of luck with it ;)

Thanks - it was a no expense spared build. The wheels will help it stand out at the Marmotte :)
    For those who are interested, build came in at 7.52kg which I'm quite happy about. My other road/commuter bike is a 13kg.

Ryaner wrote: »
    Thanks - it was a no expense spared build. The wheels will help it stand out at the Marmotte :)

I still question that choice of wheels for 5000m of climbing...

...lovely bike though. It has suddenly become quite important that I beat you on my humble planet-x. :D

niceonetom wrote: »
    I still question that choice of wheels for 5000m of climbing...

...lovely bike though. It has suddenly become quite important that I beat you on my humble planet-x. :D

The rear wheel is a Powertap which you can't tell from the photos. Getting one slightly limited by choices. The wheels came in at 1930 which is lighter than my open pro powertap wheels and since most of the extra weight is in the hub, it shouldn't make a difference.

Ryaner wrote: »
    The rear wheel is a Powertap which you can't tell from the photos. Getting one slightly limited by choices. The wheels came in at 1930 which is lighter than my open pro powertap wheels and since most of the extra weight is in the hub, it shouldn't make a difference.

Edge 45 clinchers with ELF/SL+ hubs and 20/24 aerolites comes in under 1600g, according to the spreadsheet, if money really were no object. :pac:

That said, carbon rims would probably be a bad choice for the Marmotte, given what Blorg posted previously about descents being held up by people sitting on their brakes.

Edge 45 clinchers with ELF/SL+ hubs and 20/24 aerolites comes in under 1600g, according to the spreadsheet, if money really were no object. :pac:

That said, carbon rims would probably be a bad choice for the Marmotte, given what Blorg posted previously about descents being held up by people sitting on their brakes.

Would carbones be any more susceptible to heat-induced blowout than normal alu clinchers? The carbon is only a faring after all. I would have thought full carbon clinchers or tubs would be more sketchy.

Incidentally, does anyone know how road tubeless behaves on long descents?

niceonetom wrote: »
    Would carbones be any more susceptible to heat-induced blowout than normal alu clinchers? The carbon is only a faring after all. I would have thought full carbon clinchers or tubs would be more sketchy.

Carbones would be fine. As I understand it, the blowout risk on alloy rims is easily countered by moderating the pressures a bit, i.e. not putting in 120psi cold before you start, and of course braking correctly as much as you can (other cyclists permitting). I can't see that a plastic fairing will make much difference.

Full carbon rims don't dissipate the heat as well due to their (non-)conductive properties, and can delaminate with heat buildup. So both blowouts and rim death are possible.

Mavic do have lighter carbon rim wheels but I went for the Alu ones for the breaking. Bike should be quite fast on decents.

That said, I guess if money really weren't being considered I'd have ended up with an SRM and two sets of wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

That is a thing of beauty Ryaner.
    I must admit though, i always feel the symmetry of the front view is ruined by brake levers not running flush with dropbars. I have this problem too.
    Is there any way around it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

I've seen that before - that was in that last Terminator movie, wasn't it???

Advertisement