Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post images of beauty (quote pics sparingly) - see Mod warnings in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

V. Nice Blorg, best of luck with it !

...( still reckon some Shamals would set it off a lil' better ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

@blorg - Would you consider shortening the chain to get the wheel in the cut out a bit more?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jdt101

blorg wrote: »
    My new fast audax bike.

th_px_track_tt_1.jpg th_px_track_tt_2.jpg

@blorg, should those wheels look familiar to me? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,066 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

On my new fast audax bike project I have the base bars far lower to get the aero bars where I want them

That's cool. I assume that "fast audax" means "solo audax"? Where will the Carradice bag attach? Or will you use the trailer...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

abcdggs wrote: »
    @blorg - Would you consider shortening the chain to get the wheel in the cut out a bit more?
    I don't think I'd bother. I am skeptical as to just how much diffrence it would make but more to the point I have a bigger chainring (and three cogs for the back) and want the flexibility to swap my gearing around without needing a new chain.
    jdt101 wrote: »
    @blorg, should those wheels look familiar to me? :)
    Rear is an On One track wheel and front is a WH-500 but not actually from your set.
    Lumen wrote: »
    That's cool. I assume that "fast audax" means "solo audax"? Where will the Carradice bag attach? Or will you use the trailer...
    There wouldn't actually be any particular issue adding a saddlebag, I have one that just goes on the saddle, but I don't think they are particularly necessary for day rides. As regards solo, I will have to see what the handling is like, obviously would not use aero bars in a group but plenty of people ride bull horns fine, that position should be similar to being on the hoods only a bit lower as the bar is lower. The braking is pretty good, I am impressed with the TT lever. Depending on how things go I may consider another road variation with drop bars and front brake.

• Advertisement

I don't think I'd bother. I am skeptical as to just how much diffrence it would make but more to the point I have a bigger chainring (and three cogs for the back) and want the flexibility to swap my gearing around without needing a new chain.

Was wondering more in terms of aesthetics, not for aero reasons, i'm sure any aero differnce would be negligible. i presume you have a lockring hub rather than bolt on then?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,066 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

As regards solo, I will have to see what the handling is like, obviously would not use aero bars in a group

I was also considering the fact that no-one will be able to keep up with you on that thing. :)

Was wondering more in terms of aesthetics, not for aero reasons, i'm sure any aero differnce would be negligible. i presume you have a lockring hub rather than bolt on then?
    I get the aesthetics but don't want to compromise flexibility in my gearing. I might stick the big chainring and my biggest cog on and if I could take a link out in that configuration I would be good. It's a fixed/fixed standard hub, I have a 16T on one side and use the Miche system on the other with 14 and 15T. 48 and 49T chainrings. In the picture it is 48-15.

I use the Miche system on the other with 14 and 15T.

Like this?
    dscn5430a.jpg

Do sugino do a similar thing do you know?

Like this?

Do sugino do a similar thing do you know?
    Yes, like that, I put them on this bike as I will primarily be using it on the track and expect to be swapping sprockets frequently. AFAIK Miche are the only ones who do this sort of system. It removes the need for a chainwhip, you just need to remove the lockring to swap the sprocket. Standard thread, you can use it on any standard hub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭steinone

I have actually had problems with the Miche carriers, they can become worn down and have some play in them.
    I had the same idea, easy changeability, great. A return and a lot of annoyance later I will never go back.

have you heard anything about the sugino version?

They look like they have more notches that are less sharp, would lead me to think they'd wear better

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭fixie

on the subject of different hubs can anyone tell me if bolt on hubs are aloud on the track?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

fixie wrote: »
    on the subject of different hubs can anyone tell me if bolt on hubs are aloud on the track?

They are, indeed they are the norm :cool:

CI rule Appendix AT2 Equipment
    9. Bicycles used for track racing shall not be fitted with freewheels, quick release wheels, wingnuts, brakes
    or similar accessories except by permission of the Track Commissaire.

RobFowl wrote: »
    They are, indeed they are the norm :cool:
    are you sure? surely if they were the norm on the track they would be more widely available

robfowl, im talking about front mtb disc brake hubs adapted to use on fixed gears. very very very very suprised if there the norm cause there impossible to get besides adapting your own. but spread the good news! there the best thing ever! good buy to lockrings............

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

robfowl, im talking about front mtb disc brake hubs adapted to use on fixed gears. very very very very suprised if there the norm cause there impossible to get besides adapting your own. but spread the good news! there the best thing ever! good buy to lockrings............

Disc brakes and indeed all brakes are never allowed on the track, Sorry !

What's the word on your hub conversion? i need a new wheel as it is, i'm thinking bolt on is the best option

@robfowl, this is a bolt on hub
    dscn4368thumb.jpg

This is the usual track hub, with lockring
    dscn4540t.jpg

Disc brakes and indeed all brakes are never allowed on the track, Sorry !
    @Rob- he means something like this, the sprockets are attached by means of bolts rather than being screwed on to a standard threaded track hub. This one uses a proprietary pattern but you can also convert a disc front hub for use on the rear and attach a sprocket to the disc mounting bolts.

levelinizm.jpg

"What's the word on your hub conversion? i need a new wheel as it is, i'm thinking bolt on is the best option"
    (still cant work out how to quote on this forum:mad:)
    check out this http://www.dublinfgss.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=144 to see how the conversions going:mad:

go for a bolt on hub,either buy one of velosolo or convert one.maybe go for one off velosolo cause it might be easier in reguards to spacing,time!,guarentees and maybe even cost?

• Advertisement

Just had a look at prices there, you're probably right.
    Just a matter of being able to afford it now, will want to get some bling rims as well.

Ah yes, the quote is pretty confusing, the test area is pretty good to mess round with stuff

:o

when i first heard talk of disc wheels for fixed gears, i got confused what with these
    ffwd_disc_tub_rear.jpg
    these
    gary_fisher_genesis_rear_disc_brakes_cropped75.jpg
    and these
    dscn4368thumb.jpg

Your confusion is understandable

All this hipster terminology is frazzling my geriatric brain.....

@fixie
    As long as those hubs are secure and safe there should be no issue. The commisaires reserve the right to ban equipment they deem to be unsafe.
    TBH that setup looks more secure that a locknut, just less easy to change and needing more clearance.

Do you see there being any advantage?

"hipster terminology"
    you mean a mtb disc hub is frazzling your geriatric brain

"just less easy to change and needing more clearance.
    Do you see there being any advantage? "
    there way easier to change!!!!!!!!
    read this for the resons there brilliant http://www.velosolo.co.uk/intro.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

All I can say is I love trikes.:):):)

0015962_900.jpg

As long as those hubs are secure and safe there should be no issue. The commisaires reserve the right to ban equipment they deem to be unsafe.
    TBH that setup looks more secure that a locknut, just less easy to change and needing more clearance.
    They are secure, they are also generally considered much easier to change, as all you need is a hex key rather than a lockring tool + chain whip (as I am sure you know this sometimes requires a bit of heft too.)

"hipster terminology"
    you mean a mtb disc hub is frazzling your geriatric brain

"just less easy to change and needing more clearance.
    Do you see there being any advantage? "
    there way easier to change!!!!!!!!
    read this for the resons there brilliant http://www.velosolo.co.uk/intro.html

I meant any advantage on the track , sorry didn't make that clear...

PS Blorg kind of like messing about with chain whips and lockring tools (thats just me though !)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

IMG_0719-1.jpg

Just id introduce myself to the boards and say hi

• Advertisement

Very nice, you need to remove some of those spacers though :)

Advertisement