Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post images of beauty (quote pics sparingly) - see Mod warnings in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

This is my new machine, would love to it justice with a nice discie for the back and tri spoke for the front but finances dictate they'l have to wait till I go pro.......

edit see next image below. Had to get the Raam to help me figure out this world wide interwebby thing.

105 group set and I've to get the set up sorted soon too

116929.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Awesome frame Shaun, where did you get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Mean machine! It looks like the ebay chinese ones.

Edit: Why not remove the spacers under the stem and lower the saddle instead of having all those?

It was sourced from China alright but got it through www.cycleangling.com in Balbriggan my lbs. (Am I allowed advertise?)

It certainly worked out a lot cheaper than any of the branded stuff. If you want details PM and I'll send them on.

It has not been fitted yet but I'm 6' 3" so it will be a high saddle and need to see how aggressive I can be on the drops but defo lower than where they currently are.

• Advertisement

410 quid.. not a bad deal for that frame.

It was a quick search so you might be able to find it cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Nice bike. Rear triangle reminicent of Kuota Kebel.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Is that a 1080 on the back?

RobFowl wrote: »
    Is that a 1080 on the back?

Got the best wheels I could from FR so have no idea Rob. Sorry.

Re sourcing it myself am too lazy and prefer to go to someone who knows (as shown by answer to Rob above)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

shaungil wrote: »
    Got the best wheels I could from FR so have no idea Rob. Sorry.

Re sourcing it myself am too lazy and prefer to go to someone who knows (as shown by answer to Rob above)

It's a bit special looking.
    You'll have to do a few of the Northern TT series. They have fast courses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Mean machine! It looks like the ebay chinese ones.

Edit: Why not remove the spacers under the stem and lower the saddle instead of having all those?

Well if he lowered the saddle that would reduce the distance to the cranks and it definitely would not be a better fit.

Well if he lowered the saddle that would reduce the distance to the cranks and it definitely would not be a better fit.

Yeah, I was thinking that as I was coming back home, I just logged to edit it. Doesn't make sense, apologies lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

Not really an image of beauty but had a few parts lying around the place (saddle, pedals, chainset, cassette, tyres and bar tape) so decided to build a winter bike on a budget of €700. Frame, forks, wheels and STI levers are the only new bits - everything else supplied used from lbs. Mixture of DA, Ultegra and 105 groupset.

LeoD wrote: »
    Not really an image of beauty but had a few parts lying around the place (saddle, pedals, chainset, cassette, tyres and bar tape) so decided to build a winter bike on a budget of €700. Frame, forks, wheels and STI levers are the only new bits - everything else supplied used from lbs. Mixture of DA, Ultegra and 105 groupset.

I think it qualifies, frame looks good, would look better without the red graphics.

Well wear on it!

10_FELT_AR1(5).jpg

Big pic

It really is a fantastic looking bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I love the red instead of the blue. I really want a set of those wheels,they'd be wasted on me but they look great. Someone give me 10 good reasons why I shouldn't.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Someone give me 10 good reasons why I shouldn't.:D

There are none.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Raam wrote: »
    There are none.

Damn!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Not sure how to upload pics here but I think I've done it. It's a bit of a departure from some of the bikes on here but I think it's deserving of a mention nonetheless.
    It's my cargo bike (formerly two old beater mountain bikes) built on the spur of the moment over a few afternoons and not yet quite finished (need to get longer cables for rear derailleur and brakes) it handles pretty well and is only mildly terrifying to bring out on the open roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Not sure how to upload pics here but I think I've done it. It's a bit of a departure from some of the bikes on here but I think it's deserving of a mention nonetheless.
    It's my cargo bike (formerly two old beater mountain bikes) built on the spur of the moment over a few afternoons and not yet quite finished (need to get longer cables for rear derailleur and brakes) it handles pretty well and is only mildly terrifying to bring out on the open roads.

I'm sure there are laws somewhere against bringing that out onto the open roads.

• Advertisement

gman2k wrote: »
    I'm sure there are laws somewhere against bringing that out onto the open roads.

Yes, it doesn't have a working rear brake at the moment so on that count alone I think it qualifies as illegal for road use, possibly there are other laws relating to it also but it is structurally sound and thus safe enough and that's the main thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

That is crrrazzzzyyy ! Nice horn!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Jesus! Are those jubilee clips? I'm both horrified and hugely impressed.

HONK! HONK!

Yeah, the jubilee clips are an integral part of the design, didn't have any duct tape you see (joke).

They're there partly for show (the less road-worthy it looks the more fun it is to ride) and also hold the cable housing to the frame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

@Tonythewhale. You do realise that this thread is Images of beauty.
    Also how does it feel to ride a bike that is just stuck together. What if you hit a pothole.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

ROK ON wrote: »
    @Tonythewhale. You do realise that this thread is Images of beauty.
    Also how does it feel to ride a bike that is just stuck together. What if you hit a pothole.
    @ROK ON. Not many people here can say they made their own bike! Eyes are in beauty's bee holder and all that.

Well done Tony. Fair fooks. You might want to replace the jubilee clips with actual welds, once you're happy with the frame geometry.

Did you ever have a look at http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?377128-home-built-xtracycle...

Well done.

DFD*

*DefendingFrameDesigners.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

@Tonyandthewhale - Looks great, time well spent getting it just right. Cleaning and lubing that chain is going to be a bit pain though. Is the skateboard detachable, would make for a grand day out?

Will you actually be able to shift gears or are the derailleurs just there for chain line and tension?

That's pretty impressive sticking it all together, I would be very worried about actually cycling it though.

I should be able to shift gears (although probably not very smoothly) eventually, I just have to get long enough cables. As regards actually riding it, I've managed to bring it as far as 50km over undulating terrain and rough bogroads and it showed no real inclination to come apart or even undue flex so I wouldn't be worried about riding it. Having said that though I can't imagine the thread on the bolts will last forever so I probably will get it welded together once I'm sure I'm happy with it.

Oh and dualfrontdiscs, thanks for linking to that xtracycle thread, I hadn't come across it previously but I'm after wasting about 2 hours reading over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I think this is the fourth time I've posted this same bike :)

The wheels are new.

117271.jpg

Advertisement