Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post images of beauty (quote pics sparingly) - see Mod warnings in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

...and it matches your new avatar.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

abcdggs wrote: »
    The crankset? shimano on an italian frame. it's a sin. not to mention record would look amazing on it...

Not bad, but lugged carbon frames just don't do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

AstraMonti wrote: »
    The new Orbea Orca:

2011-orbea-orca-road-bicycle-bike.png
    It is supposed to be lighter and more aero.. Meh..

To be fair not men. A lovely bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 frant2

coolbeans wrote: »
    Here's me commuter. Beautiful to me and I've finally settled on a pannier solution that doesn't weigh half a tonne or result in excessive drag. Ignore the doggy!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51429818@N02/4730892390/in/photostream/

hey coollbeans - that horse was trying to suck air out of your tyres, if it had an opposable thumb to unscrew the valve you were in trouble!::)

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Golfanatic

CIMG0800.jpg

CIMG0802.jpg

CIMG0801.jpg

CIMG0798.jpg

CIMG0797.jpg

CIMG0800.jpg

CIMG0804.jpg

before ye ask i did weigh the frame came in at 1090g for 54cm. dissapointed with the wheels their heavy (although a great wheelset) aswell with the tyres but got the tyres for free. comes in at 8.3kg w/pedals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

@Golfanatic, what's the symbolism of the blue and white cable ties?

DFD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

is the brake cable outer grey or white? if grey, why not white?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭El.duderino

abcdggs wrote: »
    is the brake cable outer grey or white? if grey, why not white?
    Grey by the looks of it. It matches the green gear cables and red cage;)

I,m gonna post what I did to a focus with duct and bar tape. I couldn't bring myself to cycle it for a while:eek: The horror

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I,m gonna post what I did to a focus with duct and bar tape. I couldn't bring myself to cycle it for a while:eek: The horror

It's been done (if you are referring to ghetto bar tape that is).

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭dooverylittle

She is a few years old now, but my eye hasnt started to rome yet.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

She is a few years old now, but my eye hasnt started to rome yet.

:D

What a lovely bike! The only thing I'd do to impove it would be to align the writing on the tyres with the valves :)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭dooverylittle

thanks el tel for the constructive criticism! ha ha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

el tel wrote: »
    What a lovely bike! The only thing I'd do to impove it would be to align the writing on the tyres with the valves :)

Good advise..makes finding trhe cause of punctures easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

What's with all the images not being rotated correctly recently!

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

Belongs to one of the Belgians staying in our hotel last week. Don't know much about it but the gold chain was cool I thought.

DSCF0151.jpg?t=1278458100

• Registered Users Posts: 33 aro13

Kuota Korsa Lite
    -Ultegra 6700 Group
    -Mavic Aksium Wheels
    -Selle Italia SLR Saddle
    -Deda Big Piega Bars+Stem
    -Conti Ultra Tyres
    -Mavic Sprint Pedals

34181_409948775348_631880348_4276138_4337696_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jdt101

LeoD wrote: »
    Belongs to one of the Belgians staying in our hotel last week. Don't know much about it but the gold chain was cool I thought.

DSCF0151.jpg?t=1278458100

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25416

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 juicerbox

looks good

This is my touring bike (it's been posted before, but it's had an overhaul).

119638.jpg

It's based on a 2003 Litespeed Blue Ridge titanium touring frame and Litespeed carbon fork.

It's considered a touring frame as it has a more relaxed geometry that 'racing' bikes, has rack and mudguard mounts and greater tire clearance for bigger tires and/ or mudguards. The fork doesn't have rack mounts.

The relaxed geometry make it less 'twitchy' and easier to handle when loaded.

It's kitted out with Campagnola 10 speed, with a mix of Record, Chorus, Centaur and now Veloce. The most recent replacement is a new cassette and chain, both Veloce.

I reckon 2010 Veloce is probably as good as 2003 Record (crankset).

The gearing is 53-42-30 and 13-29. The 13-29 cassette replaces a 12-26. I think it will be useful when loaded.

The wheels are 36h Mavic T520s (ceramic). The T520s are tandem/ touring rims.

The rear is laced to a Campagnola hub (can't remember what model), the front to a Schmidt SON dynamo hub.

The tires are 32mm Schwalbe Marathon Pluses. I run 32mm because I'm not the lightest guy, the bike is often ridden loaded and I'm normally on 50mm tires, so 32mm always seems 'fast' to me.

The SON hub is an amazing piece of engineering. From memory, the drag incurred when it's powering something is equivalent to an eight foot incline over a mile. So very little! And at the same time it generates enough power to give car headlights a run for their money

The SON hub powers a number of configurations. The latest being a combination of a B&M Lumotec IQ Cyo R Senso LED and a Zzing power converter.

I really like the Lumotec lights. The new one is LED and the light should be good for 100,000 hours. The 'Senso' means it comes on automatically in the dark. It also has a 'StandLight' which means the light stays on for two minutes after the dynamo stops turning. A good safety feature. The light output is 3 times the minimum German requirement, so I'm assuming it will be sufficient.

The rear light is a B&M combination reflector and 'solid' LED. It's battery powered. I've never gotten around to wiring it up to the dynamo. In winter I'll supplement front and back with flashing LEDs.

The Zzing charger is a new addition and if it does what it says on the tin will prove an invaluable piece of touring equipment. Put simply, the Zzing converts the power from the dynamo into a USB interface. As an iPhone user who plans to use the GPS features of the phone, the availability of unlimited power on the move is essential.

I believe the rack is a Tubus, or something similar. The bike normally has chromoplastic mudguards fitted. They were annoying me, so I took them off.

The saddle's a Brooks Swift, well broken in at this stage.

The only other feature of note is a fork mounted cable hanger on the front brake. It's recently fitted and very effectively eliminates the horrible brake judder that the combination of carbon forks and cantilever brakes seems to generate.

As pictured above, it weighs in around 13 kgs. I imagine the wheel/ tire/ hub dynamo combo have a fair bit to do with that. I'm no weight weenie, so who cares!

This is the bike loaded.

119639.jpg

The handlebar bag is a Jack Wolfskin bag. It must be at least 15 years old. I was considering a new Ortlieb bag, but the cassette and chain needed replacing, so….. Anyway, I'd only be changing for the sake of changing, so……

The panniers are Ortlieb back rollers. They can carry loads and they've proved absolutely waterproof. They fit nicely on the rack and go on and come off easily. My one complaint is the lack of small 'cubby' pockets. That's one of the reasons I'm bringing the handlebar bag.

The tent is an MSR Hubba, one man tent. It weighs under 2kgs and has yet to be tested in the field! It's definitely a one man tent.

I've a Thermarest NeoAIR which packs down to about the size of a large water bottle.

My sleeping bag is a Snugpack three season bag. Probably too much for this trip, but I'm not buying another one.

I'm bringing a Trangia stove for morning porridge! I'll carry the fuel bottle in the third bottle cage under the downtube on the frame.

The sleeping bag, mattress and the Trangia all fit in one pannier, probably with the wet weather gear I hope I won't need.

That leaves one pannier for clothing and stuff.

I'm planning to bring:

Two pairs of cycling shorts
    Two long sleeved summer cycling jerseys
    Two short sleeved base layers
    A gilet
    A waterproof jacket
    Leg warmers
    Socks

For off the bike

A fleece
    A long sleeved t-shirt
    A long sleeved base layer
    A pair of NorthFace (convertible) trousers
    A pair of Birkenstock sandals
    A warm hat
    Jocks

With all of the above, the loaded bike weighs in around 23kgs.

Interestingly, the kit list above would be similar for a 5 month trip as much as a 5 day trip. Mmmmmmm ;)

Heading to France next week.

DFD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

That's a lovely set up DFD. Touring in style :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Not gone on this colour scheme, but very impressive none the less:

1277976447970-5zf8tbziy91z-798-75.jpg

More here:

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/look-695-first-ride-26817

And video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJyeFS93P6s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Seen that frame at the Look stand at IM france very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭coolbeans

This is my touring bike (it's been posted before, but it's had an overhaul).

119638.jpg

It's based on a 2003 Litespeed Blue Ridge titanium touring frame and Litespeed carbon fork.

It's considered a touring frame as it has a more relaxed geometry that 'racing' bikes, has rack and mudguard mounts and greater tire clearance for bigger tires and/ or mudguards. The fork doesn't have rack mounts.

The relaxed geometry make it less 'twitchy' and easier to handle when loaded.

It's kitted out with Campagnola 10 speed, with a mix of Record, Chorus, Centaur and now Veloce. The most recent replacement is a new cassette and chain, both Veloce.

I reckon 2010 Veloce is probably as good as 2003 Record (crankset).

The gearing is 53-42-30 and 13-29. The 13-29 cassette replaces a 12-26. I think it will be useful when loaded.

The wheels are 36h Mavic T520s (ceramic). The T520s are tandem/ touring rims.

The rear is laced to a Campagnola hub (can't remember what model), the front to a Schmidt SON dynamo hub.

The tires are 32mm Schwalbe Marathon Pluses. I run 32mm because I'm not the lightest guy, the bike is often ridden loaded and I'm normally on 50mm tires, so 32mm always seems 'fast' to me.

The SON hub is an amazing piece of engineering. From memory, the drag incurred when it's powering something is equivalent to an eight foot incline over a mile. So very little! And at the same time it generates enough power to give car headlights a run for their money

The SON hub powers a number of configurations. The latest being a combination of a B&M Lumotec IQ Cyo R Senso LED and a Zzing power converter.

I really like the Lumotec lights. The new one is LED and the light should be good for 100,000 hours. The 'Senso' means it comes on automatically in the dark. It also has a 'StandLight' which means the light stays on for two minutes after the dynamo stops turning. A good safety feature. The light output is 3 times the minimum German requirement, so I'm assuming it will be sufficient.

The rear light is a B&M combination reflector and 'solid' LED. It's battery powered. I've never gotten around to wiring it up to the dynamo. In winter I'll supplement front and back with flashing LEDs.

The Zzing charger is a new addition and if it does what it says on the tin will prove an invaluable piece of touring equipment. Put simply, the Zzing converts the power from the dynamo into a USB interface. As an iPhone user who plans to use the GPS features of the phone, the availability of unlimited power on the move is essential.

I believe the rack is a Tubus, or something similar. The bike normally has chromoplastic mudguards fitted. They were annoying me, so I took them off.

The saddle's a Brooks Swift, well broken in at this stage.

The only other feature of note is a fork mounted cable hanger on the front brake. It's recently fitted and very effectively eliminates the horrible brake judder that the combination of carbon forks and cantilever brakes seems to generate.

As pictured above, it weighs in around 13 kgs. I imagine the wheel/ tire/ hub dynamo combo have a fair bit to do with that. I'm no weight weenie, so who cares!

This is the bike loaded.

119639.jpg

The handlebar bag is a Jack Wolfskin bag. It must be at least 15 years old. I was considering a new Ortlieb bag, but the cassette and chain needed replacing, so….. Anyway, I'd only be changing for the sake of changing, so……

The panniers are Ortlieb back rollers. They can carry loads and they've proved absolutely waterproof. They fit nicely on the rack and go on and come off easily. My one complaint is the lack of small 'cubby' pockets. That's one of the reasons I'm bringing the handlebar bag.

The tent is an MSR Hubba, one man tent. It weighs under 2kgs and has yet to be tested in the field! It's definitely a one man tent.

I've a Thermarest NeoAIR which packs down to about the size of a large water bottle.

My sleeping bag is a Snugpack three season bag. Probably too much for this trip, but I'm not buying another one.

I'm bringing a Trangia stove for morning porridge! I'll carry the fuel bottle in the third bottle cage under the downtube on the frame.

The sleeping bag, mattress and the Trangia all fit in one pannier, probably with the wet weather gear I hope I won't need.

That leaves one pannier for clothing and stuff.

I'm planning to bring:

Two pairs of cycling shorts
    Two long sleeved summer cycling jerseys
    Two short sleeved base layers
    A gilet
    A waterproof jacket
    Leg warmers
    Socks

For off the bike

A fleece
    A long sleeved t-shirt
    A long sleeved base layer
    A pair of NorthFace (convertible) trousers
    A pair of Birkenstock sandals
    A warm hat
    Jocks

With all of the above, the loaded bike weighs in around 23kgs.

Interestingly, the kit list above would be similar for a 5 month trip as much as a 5 day trip. Mmmmmmm ;)

Heading to France next week.

DFD.

I was expecting dual front discs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

My brand new Trek 7.5 FX WSD:

4772375959_2c1cdb25ca_o.gif

4772376475_f6ced5da8b.jpg

I LOVES it! :) some specs:
    • bontrager race lite hard-case 700x32 tyres
    • bontrager N2 flexi form saddle
    • shimano deore derailleurs
    • bontrager nebula carbon forks with clix dropouts
    • shimano deore 27 speed trigger
    • crank shimano Octalink 48/36/26
    • SRAM cassette 11-26, 9 speed
    The guys in 2wheels in Monkstown who sold me the bike fitted the light weight mudguards for me (good service there BTW)
    I'm a cycling n00b and I haven't gotten everything for the bike yet-lights, a bell and probably a helmet though I hate them :(
    I won't be needing a lock as I'm not going to leave it outside anywhere (I know Trek's are thief magnets), it's just for training and it'll be stored indoors.
    The saddle needs to be a bit higher too. Like I said, I'm a n00b :o
    It's a great bike, soo much lighter than the crappy heavy shopper I had and more suited to what I want a bike for i.e. to get fit.
    I was tempted by the flat-barred Boardman WSD with mech. disks but it's just too sporty (um, ok racy) for me right now. Halfords wouldn't let me take a spin outside on it :rolleyes: but even in the shop I could tell that bike goes like the wind, wow! It's a very high spec bike for the money. But then you guys know that :D

Oh and they told me in 2wheels that the price of Trek's are going up soon because of the euro-dollar strength and if I'd waited a few months longer for the new stock the price of the 7.5 would be gone up by €190 :eek:
    so glad I bought when I did!
    Also a number of bike shops seemed to be running very low on hybrid/commuter bikes, I went to several Trek dealers before 2wheels and they can't keep them in stock I was told! no-one had the 7.5. until 2wheels. Must be because of the Govt. bike to work scheme I guess?

coolbeans wrote: »
    I was expecting dual front discs ;)

That's the trike ;)

DFD.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

119639.jpg

Sorry to be annoying but do you find that the Handlebar bag hanging down like that annoying or puts to much strain on the handlebars. Only started riding with a handlebar bag recently and was told they should be angled up, or does it matter at all?

Also where did you get the knobs (someone told me thats the right name, I don't know though) that you have attached the front lights too? Would the average LBS have them?

CramCycle wrote: »
    Sorry to be annoying but do you find that the Handlebar bag hanging down like that annoying or puts to much strain on the handlebars. Only started riding with a handlebar bag recently and was told they should be angled up, or does it matter at all?

Also where did you get the knobs (someone told me thats the right name, I don't know though) that you have attached the front lights too? Would the average LBS have them?

It doesn't annoy me. The mount for the bag is adjustable, but is based on an 'arc', so if I want the bag lower down, which I do, it ends up tilted down aswell.

I think it's probably more an aesthetic matter than anything else. I'm happy to be corrected on that.

I bought the cronometro NOBs from PeterWhiteCycles in the 'States. I haven't seen them in LBSs. If you do find them, let me know. I always need more ;)

DFD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I 've been fixiefied!

Specialized tricross singlecross. I did my first 20kms spin with it.. and it was like learning to ride a bicycle for scratch. It's different, it's simple, I am going to kill myself probably. I need to get spd pedals for it, can't stand the normal ones. (anyone has any cheap double sided?)

And as I was pedaling thinking not to stop pedaling, I also thought (multitasking thinking) what I am going to do if I get a puncture on the rear wheel. Do I have to carry a spanner with me now as well?

119794.jpg

119795.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Do I have to carry a spanner with me now as well?

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

I 've been fixiefied!
    Congrats on your excellent choice! I've been riding the same model fixed for the past 18 months and find it a pretty relaxed ride compared to the Langster which feels a bit stiffer. With full mudguards on it was pretty much all I rode through the winter and even now with the guards off it's still the bike I take out most of the time. I think when riding fixed you need to watch the road more carefully so that you don't suddenly find yourself confronted by a pothole when the natural instinct to stop pedaling will kick in and you might get kicked off! Good luck and enjoy!

Advertisement