Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post images of beauty (quote pics sparingly) - see Mod warnings in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

niceonetom wrote: »
    I'm with blorg on this one. I really don't think the Italians bother with the whole engineering thing. Why would they bother with any silly windtunnel time or stress analysis - they make much more money selling bikes on aesthetics and heritage, whatever that is.

Feel free to start a separate thread on Images of Windtunnel Testing and Stress Analysis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

I'm with blorg on this one. I really don't think the Italians bother with the whole engineering thing. Why would they bother with any silly windtunnel time or stress analysis - they make much more money selling bikes on aesthetics and heritage, whatever that is.
    Is that not the point of this thread? What's engineering and wind tunnel analysis and stress testing, when a Pina Dogma has sparkly paint:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Lumen wrote: »
    Feel free to start a separate thread on Images of Windtunnel Testing and Stress Analysis.

He probably will you know, why do you give him ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    He probably will you know, why do you give him ideas?

Too Late

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭furiousox

I really don't think the Italians bother with the whole engineering thing. Why would they bother with any silly windtunnel time or stress analysis

That's a pretty bold and sweeping statement, any proof to back up your theory?
    There's a few teams in the peleton using Colnago and Pinarello that might disagree with you.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

furiousox wrote: »
    That's a pretty bold and sweeping statement, any proof to back up your theory?
    There's a few teams in the peleton using Colnago and Pinarello that might disagree with you.
    They will use whatever they are sponsored to use. Frankly I don't think the bike matters much in pro racing. The Trek Madone was the best bike in the world until Bertie moved onto a Tarmac which was so much better. Does it matter one jot? No. In the cases (generally with TTs) where there is a component that may matter the teams will just rebadge something that they feel works with the name of their sponsor (wheels in particular.)

blorg wrote: »
    They will use whatever they are sponsored to use. Frankly I don't think the bike matters much in pro racing. The Trek Madone was the best bike in the world until Bertie moved onto a Tarmac which was so much better. Does it matter one jot? No. In the cases (generally with TTs) where there is a component that may matter the teams will just rebadge something that they feel works with the name of their sponsor (wheels in particular.)

It's all fine until you drop your chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

blorg wrote: »
    rebadge something that they feel works with the name of their sponsor (wheels in particular.)

The 'Bell' TT helmets look very like the Giro ones this year also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I know taste is a personal thing but this is just.. it's like lego with tubes:

1278500223135-z30urp1cofkw-798-75.jpg

1278500278149-1md0gorrgworz-850-65.jpg

All pics

I don't like that BMC top tube (sorry Raam!). I mean, is it a bike or a cathedral? Leave the buttresses at home please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

On the other hand...

WilierTriestina_GranTurismo+2.jpg

The new Wilier looks really promising!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

AstraMonti wrote: »
    On the other hand...

WilierTriestina_GranTurismo+2.jpg

Super record and Boras would eurofy that nicely

AstraMonti wrote: »

A relaxed geometry Italian bike. I can sense niceonetom vomiting all over his keyboard.

Don't quite understand the bizarre mix of FSA and SRAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Lumen wrote: »
    A relaxed geometry Italian bike. I can sense niceonetom vomiting all over his keyboard.

Not at all. The quality of Italian engineering is entirely adequate for fat old people uninterested in speed.

Not at all. The quality of Italian engineering is entirely adequate for fat old people uninterested in speed.

Stephen Roche rides a Specialized Roubaix. Or did a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

So I mention fat old men uninterested in speed and you immediately mention poor Stephen...

...fair enough.

So I mention fat old men uninterested in speed and you immediately mention poor Stephen...

...fair enough.

Sorry, it's the Tour coverage. He was the first person that sprang to mind.

LG_1226960361.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I had made my mind up not to get a Carbon Fibre bike but then I saw this. There's a few things wrong with it. The Faux-italian name(its british made), the rear wheel spoke pattern and the fact that I usually don't like white bikes. But I have this urge to own it.

stretto_2010_bike.jpg
    http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/Moda_Stretto.html

I had made my mind up not to get a Carbon Fibre bike but then I saw this. There's a few things wrong with it. The Faux-italian name(its british made), the rear wheel spoke pattern and the fact that I usually don't like white bikes. But I have this urge to own it.

stretto_2010_bike.jpg
    http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/Moda_Stretto.html

And the mock-cervelo paint job. Don't jump Pete, there are alternatives!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

And the mock-cervelo paint job. Don't jump Pete, there are alternatives!
    Hardly. I was admiring a Felt for about 6 months and never got round to buying it. Gone off it (the Felt) now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

I'd have to order mine with a compact or a triple as a 53 chainring is no use to me with my pathetic puny legs. OOOH the shame of it :o

But hey, if I won the lotto I could live with that shame :D

Someday when i win the lotto, this is the first thing on my list:D
    felt-ar1-di2-2010-zoom.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭furiousox

[FONT=arial, helvetica](From the Pinarello website)
    The FT3 was first introduced in 2009 and is a Prince level frame specifically for triathletes and road TT
    While similar to the FM1, it has the steeper seat tube angle preferred by triathletes and has had the profile extensively tested through wind tunnel testing

(From the Bianchi website)
    [/FONT]At its heart is an all-new wind-tunnel tested, aerodynamic carbon monocoque frame that’s constructed with nano technology carbon fibre.

(From the Colnago website)
    Designed in association with the prestigious University Politecnico di Milano, wind tunnel-tested aerodynamic tube shapes, internal cable routing and a deep racing position. Its one-piece carbon fiber frame carves the air, while classic Colnago handling carves the road to deliver you to transition in the best possible shape.

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

38125_10150240486885604_681875603_14124454_5008137_n.jpg

my current daily rider, new bike will be built in 2 weeks finally.

1987 peugeot frame(still polishing it up, almost there)
    super champion model 58 rear (630),
    mavic cxp 12(deanodized and polished) front (622),
    36h novatec high flange track hubs with sapim double butted spokes
    shimano 600 crankset
    mks mte pedals
    cheap kmc 410 chain
    unknown black saddle

the rear tyre isnt clinching on too great, thinking of getting some continental ultra sports as they are a bargain but I love the gumwall tyres, but 80+ psi 27 1 1/4 or 27 1 1/8 gumwall tyres are hard to find and I'm a 'clydesdale'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

...fair enough.

I ride an Italian frame that has a particularly aero frame. Furthermore Kuota have been designing frames based on wind tunnel testing at some place in Germany for some time now.
    Also, the bike is exceedinly comfortable. However i am fat old and slow.
    But i look great on the Kuota.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Tackleberry

I just sold this and think it's savage!

4819299000_b1196f1b90.jpg
    4819294566_86693e2e43.jpg
    4819287418_4ec0bf55ef.jpg

More pics here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Tackleberry

Bike just built this evening using my customer's Chorus g/set and Corima wheels:

4819305396_fa735f4745.jpg
    4819306802_2a41cb6bf8.jpg
    4818686317_8d7dab2880.jpg
    4819310386_097281ca71.jpg

More pics here

That Stevens looks savage. I had never heard of them until a friend of mine said he was getting one, looks really great in your pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

That Stevens looks savage. I had never heard of them until a friend of mine said he was getting one, looks really great in your pic.
    would like to echo this, the stevens looks amazing and in good shape whoever the new owner is in for a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

I'm in love with that principia frame the paint is class!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

They are all over the gaff in Germany.

Advertisement