Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post images of beauty (quote pics sparingly) - see Mod warnings in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jspruit

My Trek 2220 road bike in Bornholm and set up for a 24 hour challenge-nothing fancy or new, but gets me out of the house and around on some nice rides around Dublin on the weekend.

4841484065_fbabb921d2_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

My new baby, just arrived today. Canyon Ultimate CF9

IMG_1925.JPG

:):):)

... taken before I trimmed the tails of the speed sensor bands (before someone points it out :D)

Serious Bike ! very impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

My new baby, just arrived today. Canyon Ultimate CF9
    What size are you?
    What size is the bike?
    How is the fit?
    Thank you please.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

What size are you?
    What size is the bike?
    How is the fit?
    Thank you please.

Judging by the size of the bottles, assuming full compliance with the rules, that bike has a top tube of about 2cm and is most likely ridden by a leprechaun or very talented baby, possibly a super baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Judging by the size of the bottles, assuming full compliance with the rules, that bike has a top tube of about 2cm and is most likely ridden by a leprechaun or very talented baby, possibly a super baby.

Indeed. Note the way that the down tube merges into the top tube, indicating a very short head tube. It has to be a 50cm frame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Lumen wrote: »
    Indeed. Note the way that the down tube merges into the top tube, indicating a very short head tube. It has to be a 50cm frame.

The length of the fork relative to the rest of the bike too, or is that just me?

It's a great looking bike however, nicely finished too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

My first roadbike!

Picked up from Mr. Skeff last night. Please divert youor eyes away from the wheels!
    She weighs 7.9kg as is, with Skeff's Carbone SLR wheels she's 7.45kg, just gotta start saving....

Pic keeps vanishing - linky: http://twitpic.com/29xj83

Took her around the block last night - need to put the saddle up and re-adjust 1 or 2 bits, but delighted with how she turned out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭crumliniano

What size are you?
    What size is the bike?
    How is the fit?
    Thank you please.

I'm 5'10.5" with a 31" trouser leg
    It's a 52cm frame

I spent a lot of time deliberating about this because most posts I saw on here about size advice suggested something a lot bigger. In the end I decided to trust the Canyon Perfect Positioning System calculator on their site. They ask you for 5 measurements, height, inseam, torso, arm and weight.
    They suggested 52cm. The main thing that seemed to cause this to vary was inseam length - it would have taken a few more centimetres of leg to change the frame size - guess I'm a short arse! (I was convinced of this by recently trying a mates bike who I thought was about the same size as me and finding I couldn't reach the pedals! :))

Below are the measurements that they gave for the bike

Seat tube length: 510mm
    Top Tube lngth: 532mm
    Head tube length: 140mm
    Head tube angle: 72.25deg
    Seat Tube angle: 75deg
    Chainstay length: 405mm
    Wheel base: 980mm
    Stem length: 75mm
    Crank: 170mm

I compared this against my current bike, a lapierre, which is also 52cm and very comfy. Most measurements were near enough and I put down minor variations (circa 1cm here and there) to a racier geometry. The one that I was a little unsure of was the stem, which is very short (I figured I could change this if necessary). The combination of comparison to my current bike and multiple re-checks of my measurements (which the canyon website gives you good direction on taking) made me decide to accept their recommendation. It feels pretty comfy but I haven't taken it on a long spin yet, planning to do that tomorrow so if it cripples me keep an eye on adverts ;)

All the pics of Canyons I've seen are like that, I don't think it is down to the size. The top of the down tube has a massive diameter.

christeb wrote: »
    My first roadbike!

Picked up from Mr. Skeff last night. Please divert youor eyes away from the wheels!
    She weighs 7.9kg as is, with Skeff's Carbone SLR wheels she's 7.45kg, just gotta start saving....

137613459-3f244eb65aab3cece40c85350302f2ac.4c526a60-scaled.jpg

Took her around the block last night - need to put the saddle up and re-adjust 1 or 2 bits, but delighted with how she turned out :)

Hi Christeb, Can't see that picture. Could you try posting it again, and the size? I'd be interested in seeing it relative to mine based on the various comments above.Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Hi Christeb, Can't see that picture. Could you try posting it again, and the size? I'd be interested in seeing it relative to mine based on the various comments above.Ta.

There we go. She's a 60cm

• Advertisement

Thanks, looks great in black too. I like the white tape and saddle with the black.

@ lumen
    I guess that photo disproves my previous comment about the head tube length.
    Anyway, I've just been sitting on the bike in front of the mirror after all the posts on size :D and it looks (and more importantly feels) fine to me.

And now back to work ... ;)

All the pics of Canyons I've seen are like that, I don't think it is down to the size. The top of the down tube has a massive diameter.

All the pics on the Canyon website show a gap between the down/head junction and the top/head junction. Perhaps they've photographed the larger sizes (like christeb's here) to de-emphasize the chunkiness.

All the pics on the Canyon website show a gap between the down/head junction and the top/head junction. Perhaps they've photographed the larger sizes (like christeb's here) to de-emphasize the chunkiness.

At the risk of continuing this Canyon-stalking conversation past all limits of tediousness, I note that both christeb and crumliniano's bikes have a seat stay/seat tube junction below the top tube, whereas all Canyon brochure shots (e.g. this) show the junction level or almost level with the top tube, regardless of model variant.

I'll get me coat.

How observant. Interesting, I wonder why they changed it. The seat stays seem more parallel with the down tube in the version with the junction below the top tube.

Quick, somebody post a picture to put this thread back on topic!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Nice bike Crumliniano, I'm 5 11 and ride a 58cm canyon frame, fits perfect.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

A bike pressie I got, I keep this one in work

38642_414891138316_560318316_4779654_7945077_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

@RobFowl,

That's not a vane attempt! This is:

PRK25993-2.jpg

;)

Trying in vain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Sorry to de-rail (pun!) this thread with non-road-bike lovliness :o but I 'found' my old racer, bought sometime in the 1980's in Kennys Bikes Enniscorthy, it served its purpose well.........Its a Falcon Firefly.

74585BA8C90545AAB0813C6913B58479-500.jpg

.....and now I'm back after many years in the 4 wheel variant, and trying to reduce the after-effects of that by getting a 2 wheel variant again and try to get those old legs moving again. I would love to have got a racer (ahem, road-bike) but they're too expensive, so I got a hybrid, I took my 3rd trip yesterday evening, and I managed to do 9km in 22mins, so onwards and upwards !!

E4486D643241494EA7C15B817A21EA87-500.jpg

With a bit of work, the old road bike could be nicer to ride than the hybrid. It'd definitley be faster anyway. Oh, and congrats on rediscovering cycling!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

With a bit of work
    Jebus, a fair bit of work indeed !:eek:! it would need.............well...........everything ! and I'm no expert either ! It would be an interesting (and a learning) experiment though. I suppose if I got the pieces over a period of time and and oh fcek it, you have me thinking now ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Spotted at the E'Leclerc at St. Brevins les Pins, France yesterday. Looks like a family of 5 on a touring holiday. The trailer is carrying luggage, one kid on a tow-along. Saw them again today...
    attachment.php?attachmentid=122732&stc=1&d=1280946503
    attachment.php?attachmentid=122731&stc=1&d=1280946489
    attachment.php?attachmentid=122733&stc=1&d=1280946515

I reckon this is an image of beauty...

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Kildafornia

This bike is plated with 24-carat gold and 600 Swarovski crystals the price €80,000. Aurumania

Bike_in_full_90_1-980x753.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Golfanatic

sure i could make my supermarket bso better than that just stick a bell on it with a diamond bigger than my head and waboom the most expensive bike goin!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Kildafornia

Golfanatic wrote: »
    sure i could make my supermarket bso better than that just stick a bell on it with a diamond bigger than my head and waboom the most expensive bike goin!!!

It's pretty ridiculous allright, they do an all black version for 2k which seems disproportionately cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Golfanatic

ye like that bike is exactly the same as my fixie, lugged frame investment cast track ends fancy quill stem and if i wanted to brooks saddle but the difference is that one has an expensive paint job

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

This bike is plated with 24-carat gold and 600 Swarovski crystals the price €80,000. ]

Aldi had a laptop covered in 200 Swarovski crystals for 600euro a year ago

CramCycle wrote: »
    Aldi had a laptop covered in 200 Swarovski crystals for 600euro a year ago

"Swarovski crystal" - physics FAIL. It's just cut glass; glass is amorphous not crystalline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Oddly enough, the Spanish for both glass and crystal is "cristal". But I think that's the common phenomenon of Romance languages using what is a very scientific or bookish term in English as a more everyday term.

Advertisement